Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton DFW Airport hotel and rogue Plat internet policy

Old Feb 19, 15, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others

When I checked into the DFW Airport Sheraton last night, they handed me a 'conference code' to enter for Internet service. Being a suspicious person, I instead used the usual 'charge to room' process and selected the premium speed option.

I found a charge for Internet on the folio online (no email of my folio, used television instead), thus I went to the front desk to get it reversed.

The agent at the front desk told me he would refund it this time, but that as a Platinum I am only entitled to basic speed internet and a fee pertains to the higher speed option.

Aha, I thought, that is what the "conference code" ensures - basic speed only for Platinums without seeing any mention of premium speed - keeps us from complaining I guess.

He was adamant even after I explained the policy and suggested someone had misinformed him.

Platinums - be alert when staying at this property.
Old Feb 19, 15, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Thanks for the heads-up!

It has been a while since I stayed here, so I don't remember the issue.
Old Feb 19, 15, 3:05 pm

I think it's pretty well established lots of Front Desk folks aren't up-to-speed on the Platinum Internet benefit. I'm not convinced the problem is property specific; I think it's more employee specific. So I say be alert for this at every property, not just DFW.

Cheers,
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Most properties handle premium correctly, automatically omitting it from the bill. The fact that this system charged a fee for upgrade from base, but not a fee for internet overall, means that the system is set to give plat only base internet for free.

Further, the odd method they suggested, giving me a sticker with a conference code to enter, when other guest enter their name and room, suggests to me that this skips any mention of higher speed options. Leave the platinum in the dark and they won't complain.

I understand your 'benefit of the doubt' attitude, but this works so well in almost every property worldwide (at least for all my stays), that the behavior of a property in Mumbai and this hotel stand in stark contrast.
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Flews View Post
I think it's pretty well established lots of Front Desk folks aren't up-to-speed on the Platinum Internet benefit. I'm not convinced the problem is property specific; I think it's more employee specific. So I say be alert for this at every property, not just DFW.

Cheers,
Unfortunately many aren't up-to-speed (pun intended in your post?) on basic elite benefits like room upgrades and late checkouts.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 20, 15 at 6:54 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 20, 15, 5:39 am

Programs: AA Plat/UA Silver/MR Lifetime PP/Avis Pref Sel
Originally Posted by Flews View Post

Cheers,
Agree. I stayed at this property last week, and selected the higher speed internet. It never appeared on my bill.
Old Feb 20, 15, 7:30 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
maybe if you had entered the conference code you would have received the higher speed for free????
Old Feb 20, 15, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Since you didn't try the conference code how do you know it wasn't the higher-speed option? For all you know it could have been higher than the paid high-speed choice (I would expect a "conference" centric service to have more bandwidth available especially at night than one for general use). There are many possibilities here. This property may very well be trying to pull something, but we just don't have enough facts at this point.

Although there are exceptions, I find people tend to go with the crowd when given a choice. Knowing the secret entrances and the such takes knowledge or someone to guide you. Hence, why FT exists.
Old Feb 20, 15, 9:44 am

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
The diagram on this page makes it very clear:
https://spgpromos.com/internet/?EM=V...RNET_PROMOTION

Although it makes it seem like it's a new perk. Platinums always had access to premium internet with no device restrictions when the benefit launched a few years ago.
Old Feb 20, 15, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Since you didn't try the conference code how do you know it wasn't the higher-speed option? For all you know it could have been higher than the paid high-speed choice
Since it is widely known that training is inconsistent and front desk clerks aren't always aware of the policies and rights, I can't just trust that what is told me is the right thing for me. If execution were very consistent and hotel staff always aware of the program details, with good faith attempts to deliver it, I wouldn't have questioned the conference code sticker.

Stickers on key jackets are iffy - how many times have you had the sticker that you've been upgraded when the room is indistinguishable from what you reserved (or in rare cases a major downgrade)? This experience is why I don't just trust that the sticker or the statement at checkin to be correct.

I do like SPG and have a overwhelmingly positive experience with my stays. A small percentage of the time a property goes clearly above and beyond - appreciated by me - most times I get what I should, but sometimes I have a less happy experience.

Frankly, the times when a property or at least an employee there shortchanges me occur more frequently than the times when there is an upside. It happens enough that I don't have the trust I would want to have with the properties.

Late checkout and high speed internet are what goes wrong most often. Much less often is there a downgrade or the wrong rate on the room, so I tend to trust those are right. Not so with a property that won't allow late checkout - I have to verify whether they are really on the resorts/convention center list. High speed internet, particularly access to the premium rate, is one area where my experience leads me to doubt and verify. YMMV

As someone who does attend events in hotels, my experience with conference code speed is not as positive as yours, so I would not assume for myself that a conference room connection is going to be faster than a room connection.
Old Feb 20, 15, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, I agree a conference connection would not be my first choice during the day when you would expect heavy usage. But there are many times I find my cell connection to be better than a hotel connection during peak times.

As for FDCs, they may not know the underlying reasoning and are only as good as the training they get. Again, without knowing the facts about each of the services, we are just speculating. Just because something has a higher price does not make it the better choice.
Old Feb 20, 15, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I posted here to help others who look at FT for information when planning and executing travel, if they might be a bit more alert and avoid a bad experience.

I wasn't asking for advice or validation of my reasoning, I was just posting feedback to let others who want to check out a property know of what I experienced. I appreciate all who posted their experiences with different properties, which has helped me pick hotels and successfully manage issues similar to theirs.

I replied to the last question because it was phrased as a question to me, but I should have just posted the feedback and ignored various critiques, bits of advice for how I should think and discussions about the validity of my views. That also goes for posts that agreed with my sentiments, not saying that everything others shared was negative by any means. It is just a detour from the purpose.

All user feedback needs to be evaluated by the reader to decide if it helps them - my posts are no exception. That said, back to the original purpose and away from debates about my actions and opinions.
Old Feb 20, 15, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by eightmillionmiler View Post
I posted here to help others who look at FT for information when planning and executing travel, if they might be a bit more alert and avoid a bad experience.

I wasn't asking for advice or validation of my reasoning, I was just posting feedback to let others who want to check out a property know of what I experienced. I appreciate all who posted their experiences with different properties, which has helped me pick hotels and successfully manage issues similar to theirs.

I replied to the last question because it was phrased as a question to me, but I should have just posted the feedback and ignored various critiques, bits of advice for how I should think and discussions about the validity of my views. That also goes for posts that agreed with my sentiments, not saying that everything others shared was negative by any means. It is just a detour from the purpose.

All user feedback needs to be evaluated by the reader to decide if it helps them - my posts are no exception. That said, back to the original purpose and away from debates about my actions and opinions.
Question, why didn't you post this in the master thread for the property? I appreciate information like this, but I would most likely look at the master thread, not a one off thread.
Old Feb 20, 15, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
Question, why didn't you post this in the master thread for the property? I appreciate information like this, but I would most likely look at the master thread, not a one off thread.
Good point - perhaps the moderators can move my original report over to the master thread.
Old Feb 20, 16, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Any recent stays here? Any info on Platinum upgrades and relative lounge quality would be appreciated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: