Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[Disturbing Trend] Barefoot guests in the club lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Disturbing Trend] Barefoot guests in the club lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:42 pm

I really don't have the courage to go from bed straight to the lounge. or to go from the gym to the lounge. I mean couldn't someone who spend 30+ min in the gym spend another 10-15 min to shower and dress nice before going to the lounge? amazing.

It is very common in US lounges to see people wearing bathrobe,sleepers, training shorts, sweaty T-shirts, PJs etc..

I can't remember seeing such behavior in Europe or ME.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I fully expected this thread to be about a Mexican property Club Lounge.

Is this an American phenomenon? I have yet to see this in any property worldwide, and if I did see it, I would say something.

This type of me, me, me behaviour is bizarre. Akin to trimming ones fingernails (or I swear to god, toenails) on an aircraft.

I don't think a dress code is warranted, but the above posted re:

No Shirts, No Shoes, No Service

Is bang on, IMHO.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by ChiCityJetsetter
I've noticed a rather disturbing trend during breakfast hours at the Sheraton Tribeca, NYC, club lounge. On multiple occasions, I've seen grown men entering the club lounge for breakfast with no shoes or socks on. They shuffle their feet on the ceramic tiles and you can hear the sound of crusty skin on ceramic.

Quiet unpleasant, especially when people are eating!

The Sheraton Tribeca may need to put this sign up on the club lounge entrance soon:

One question. Have you brought your concern to the management of this property?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:42 pm

I have never seen anyone with bare feet in a hotel lounge. I doubt it's a huge problem.

Cheers,
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Herb687
What is gross about this?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
There was a 10-12 year old kid in bare feet in the lounge at the Sheraton Waikiki and staff told him he couldn't come in like that. He came back wearing slippers.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've certainly seem bare feet during breakfast and evening appetizer hours in Sheraton lounges in the USA. I've seen (hotel) bathrobes and slippers in Westin lounges in the USA, although most of the bathrobe wearers don't stay in the lounge for long.

I also saw a loose dog in a Sheraton lounge in the USA during food service hours several times, but it was the same dog that was staying on the club floor.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
I think a no shoes, no entry rule (slippers/flip flops a minimum ) should be enforced for the protection of the guest as well as the hotel. Who knows if there may be broken shards of glass on the flooring.
Pj's and a robe... Not a problem. Just don't show up sweaty or shoeless.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
I think this is an example of the general downgrading of mores and manners in the US and the west.

Guess since you don't get a lot and the club lounges are barely that, people can show up in PJs and what not since in the West, looks don't matter.

When I'm traveling in Asia, people are dressed and presentable at the breakfast buffet. Of course, the buffets there are pretty nice. Never seen anyone in PJs over there. And they have staff to enforce who gets in. ^
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
I have not seen this behavior in the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Middle-East or Southeast asia.

I generally stay at Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott properties and sometimes at W and Westins.

I think this may be a local phenomenon. Certainly unsettling. I would IMMEDIATELY complain to management if I saw this and if no action was taken to the local health authorities.

As for the PJs that is just in bad taste.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Didn't see this at the Sheraton FRA airport CL this morning. In fact, my choice of long sleeve t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers was probably in the lower half of dress quality amongst patrons (and my choice is still very much acceptable I would hope!).

Last edited by TheBOSman; Feb 3, 2015 at 12:40 am
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I don't know where I have the photo I secretly took, but there was a guy who would always come into the lounge of the Hilton Buenos Aires in his bathrobe, sometimes actually taking it off when sitting down in his speedos. Some people...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
A few thoughts -

- Bare feet in public areas is off putting but it's only unsanitary for the bare foot person. As long as they don't attempt to touch you or use the buffet with their feet, and as long as you wear shoes, then how are you at risk?

- It's funny that most of us have no problem in shaking hands with strangers but are disgusted by bare feet. Think about all the places someone's hands could have been moments before you reach out and firmly shake it!! (I need not elaborate)

- Culturally, we do not wear shoes in our homes (and insist on guests removing theirs at the door). I find it shocking to see some folks not only keep shoes on in their kitchen and propped up on the couch but also even on their beds!! Yet at the same time I can relate to being alarmed by bare feet in a public area.

Last edited by yosithezet; Feb 3, 2015 at 9:57 am Reason: FT rules violation deleted
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
When I first read the thread title, I thought the observation was that people would enter a lounge and then remove their shoes, for example when sitting down to have a drink or read emails; like on a plane. But this is pretty bad. I know where we live in Massachusetts, and it might be the entire state now, you need shoes:

'The admittance of any barefooted person to all establishments licensed by the Lexington Board of Health as food service establishments, catering establishments, retail food stores, bakeries, commercial food processing establishments, commissaries, mobile food server or any establishment where food or drink is prepared for sale or service on the premises or else where food is served or provided for the public with or without charge shall be prohibited.'

Assuming NY has the same ordinances, the lounge attendant should have asked the guest to return with proper foot-wear.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I also saw a loose dog in a Sheraton lounge in the USA during food service hours several times, but it was the same dog that was staying on the club floor.
This one surprises me (well, maybe it doesn't); but as someone who travels very frequently with my dog, I do recall that the waiver you're required to sign when checking in forbids pets in lounges, areas where food is served and pools. I'm also surprised because during various stays with SPG properties, we were not allowed to stay on the club floor with a pet.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:58 am

I really don't get the barefoot issue, though I personally wouldn't go barefoot in a hotel. My feet are clean and looked after. They're almost certainly cleaner than the hotel floor I'd be walking on, or the soles of any shoes I'd be wearing. I don't have some weird compulsion to over-analyse other people's feet so I'd doubt I'd notice if they weren't pristine and perfect.

I can accept wanting shoes as a matter of formality, but any claims on the grounds of hygiene are a just poor cover for an irrational disgust.

Last edited by yosithezet; Feb 3, 2015 at 9:58 am Reason: Original content redacted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.