Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona - Le Meridien vs. Four Points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:01 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Off topic.

I booked a cozy room at W BCN with the rate of 118.16 EUR/night (taxes and fees included).

As a first-time visitor to BCN, Should i change to stay at Le Meridien instead (236+++ EUR/night)?

Thanks in advance for all inputs.
it depends what time of year. If you are in beach season then that is the place to stay.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Of course this is my personal opinion....

I'd only stay at the W if you're there for the beach. It's kind-of disconnected from the rest of the city. It is cool though...and you got an amazing rate.

THe LeM is nice, but it can get noisy, especially if you have a room on the street side. The neighborhood is busy and crowded, easy to travel around Barcelona by public transit or taxi. Lots of restaurants, from local options to national chains.

I wouldn't rule out the Four Points, it's where I always stay in BCN. The hotel is well run (if no frills), and walking distance to a shopping center with a big supermarket and many chain restaurants. But the highlight for me is it's right on one end of the Rambla in the Poblenou neighborhood. It's quiet, mostly full of locals and lined with amazing restaurants. I love buying a coffee or ice cream and just sitting on one of the many benches as the locals go about their day. The beach is at the other end of the Rambla (maybe 15-20 minute walk). It's got a subway station a couple minutes walk from the hotel.

But, I'm sure I'm one of the few that prefer the 4pts to the other hotels. I just love the neighborhood that much.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I couldn't agree more. The Barcelona Four Points is one of the best-value properties in Europe, the neighbourhood is lovely, and I always appreciate being able to enjoy a peaceful walk in an otherwise teeming city. Yes, you have to rely on public transport to get to the sights, but for me, that's really just another way of experiencing the local pace of life.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As I mentioned before, we were not upgraded at Le Meridien but would still consider staying there again for the soft product and also for its location. Out the door and your in the middle of the action. The staff is extremely nice which was a pleasant surprise. Like there were really a Four Seasons or something and pretending to be a Le Meridien.

We enjoyed our stay at the W but it is a little disconnected from the city. We overnighted there on our way to Florence so it was great for one night. Good seafood restaurants and good beach atmosphere. Would be great for a summer stay.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GregL
Many thanks! With BRG, I got 4 nights with breakfast for 48Euros per night!

Greg
^ They may or may not honour the breakfast though.

All of the check-in staff at the 4Points know me well from my mattress runs, but it was always hit and miss as to whether my rate included breakfast or not. I would also book the breakfast rate on spg.com if the Galahotels rate included it, but sometimes the BRG desk would remove the breakfast. (as per the T&Cs of the BRG) The staff also occasionally assumed that my rate was so low that it couldn't possibly include BF.

Anyhow, just query at check-in to be sure...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
The Four Points is on the Rambla de Poblenou, which is a much more authentic Barcelona experience - you'll actually be around locals rather than other tourists. And are more likely to get a decent meal.

I would value the 6k SPG points at about $150. Since the 4 Points is perfectly acceptable - the breakfast is quite good as well - I would struggle to justify paying $170 more per night to be on the Ramblas... But ultimately it comes down to your own budget.
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I wouldn't rule out the Four Points, it's where I always stay in BCN. The hotel is well run (if no frills), and walking distance to a shopping center with a big supermarket and many chain restaurants. But the highlight for me is it's right on one end of the Rambla in the Poblenou neighborhood. It's quiet, mostly full of locals and lined with amazing restaurants. I love buying a coffee or ice cream and just sitting on one of the many benches as the locals go about their day. The beach is at the other end of the Rambla (maybe 15-20 minute walk). It's got a subway station a couple minutes walk from the hotel.

But, I'm sure I'm one of the few that prefer the 4pts to the other hotels. I just love the neighborhood that much.
Originally Posted by gojko88
I couldn't agree more. The Barcelona Four Points is one of the best-value properties in Europe, the neighbourhood is lovely, and I always appreciate being able to enjoy a peaceful walk in an otherwise teeming city. Yes, you have to rely on public transport to get to the sights, but for me, that's really just another way of experiencing the local pace of life.
As others have noted, the LeM is in a great location if you want to be in the touristy area. However, I personally prefer the Four Points as well. The hotel itself is great. There are countless food options (imho, way better than Las Ramblas), it has a far more local feel, and the price is right. So really, it just depends on what your personal preference is. Really though, you can't go wrong either way.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
For the W vs Le Meridien poster, I would not pay 118 euros more to stay at the Le Meridien. The LM is in a more convenient location (aside from for the beach), but the W is a very nice hotel. I'd either go with the W or another hotel rather than pay that much extra for the location of the Le Meridien.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Another benefit of the LeMeridien is that it's walking distance to the bus to/from the airport. Easy transfer.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
^ They may or may not honour the breakfast though.

All of the check-in staff at the 4Points know me well from my mattress runs, but it was always hit and miss as to whether my rate included breakfast or not. I would also book the breakfast rate on spg.com if the Galahotels rate included it, but sometimes the BRG desk would remove the breakfast. (as per the T&Cs of the BRG) The staff also occasionally assumed that my rate was so low that it couldn't possibly include BF.

Anyhow, just query at check-in to be sure...
The rate from galahotels.com did include breakfast and the BRG rate match explicitly called out breakfast as part of the rate.

Greg
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
3 nights at 4P and 3 nights at LM?

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if I should just separate my 6 nights stay in next August with 3 nights at the 4P and 3 nights at LM. I love smaller, less crowdy hotels like the 4P, but at the same time, I'd love to have a taste of alll the actions, which I believe would be the case at LM. Is that a good idea?

I don't mind travelling by public transit, its, in my opinion, a great way to have a feel for the real life of the locals...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Super Larry
After reading this thread, I'm wondering if I should just separate my 6 nights stay in next August with 3 nights at the 4P and 3 nights at LM. I love smaller, less crowdy hotels like the 4P, but at the same time, I'd love to have a taste of alll the actions, which I believe would be the case at LM. Is that a good idea?

I don't mind travelling by public transit, its, in my opinion, a great way to have a feel for the real life of the locals...
The only people around in August on the Ramblas are pickpockets and tourists. Locals are on holidays.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Bump...

Bump...

With the new points chart that kicks in soon, any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
The only people around in August on the Ramblas are pickpockets and tourists. Locals are on holidays.
With that said, we stayed three nights at the LeMeridien last August and had a great stay. We'll be back.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Two summers ago, before a cruise with my grandchildren, we split our 3 night stay between the 4 Points and the LM. 4Points had great breakfast and was perfect to recover from jet lag. Hop on/off bus was across the street. Then we moved to LM to enjoy the Ramblas. It was no less full of tourists this last October than it was that August of '14. I always love it as I have been going there since 1954. Saw my first and last bull fight that time! Will be there for a day on a cruise this October to walk the Ramblas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.