Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

Please use this thread to post failures or difficulties in securing Platinum upgrades, based on the published benefits of the Platinum level, which are :

"Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites"

qualified by

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel.
Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally.
The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties"

For a detailed discussion of the Platinum upgrade benefit, see the wiki at I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread].

Starwood do not publish which of the various categories of Suites at each hotel are 'Standard', and which are not, so we don't know which Suites are in the 'Upgrade Pool', and which are excluded. So, if a Suite is available under the terms and qualifications of the benefit, but an upgrade is denied, and it is not absolutely clear that the Suite in question is not a "Standard Suite", then we should report that as a failure.

If you only manage to secure a rightful upgrade after challenging the front desk on check-in, or have instances where SNAs (Suite Night Upgrade) were not honoured, then you may report this too.

You may also report instances where suites are showing as available online, but not actually available at the hotel, due to (apparent) differences in real-time availability online.

Please post in standard format :

Property :
Dates(s) :
Room booked :
Room received : (if different than above):
Award stay :: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.)
BRG stay : (yes/no)
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no)
Comments :

...and include in the comments, particularly, the 'non-Standard' Suite category that you failed to secure an upgrade to

Previous years discussion:
Report your Platinum Upgrade Failures
Report your Platinum Upgrade Failures 2011
Post your Platinum upgrade FAILURES 2012
Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]
Print Wikipost

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Were there still Suites available for sale?
Was being sarcastic with that post. A gold member on the "legal upgrade" thread thought he/she was deserving of the last suite available at check-in time without taking into consideration plats arriving much later in the night. So am joking that i didnt get a suite because a gold might have pulled a DYKWIA fit while checking in earlier.

And FWIW, I do not consider this as a fail but just making a point that there could be many instances that a plat didnt get a suite upgrade because it was allocated to golds who think they should have the same benefits as plats

Last edited by supatight80; May 21, 2015 at 7:20 pm
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:56 pm

Property: Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Date(s): May 2015
Room booked: Deluxe Room
Room received: Club Room
Award stay: No
BRG stay: Yes
SNAs redeemed: No
Comments: All rooms upgraded to Club floor ~ 5 days out. Requested for suite upon check-in @ 6pm. Advised none available. All 3 classes of suite available for booking

My first suite upgrade failure for a looong time... strangely they seem to happen at Sheratons. Yes, I know booking status doesn't reflect upgrade pool status - it's just a data point. And the BRG rate was not much different from the prepaid rate - I used it more to get a cancel-able booking than for the monetary difference.

Anyway, for those who want to know, a Club Room is the same physically as a Deluxe Room in this hotel. You just get lounge benefits which you already get as a Platinum
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:40 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Sheraton Waikiki

Property: Sheraton Waikiki
Dates(s): June 2015 - 5 Nights
Room booked: Deluxe Ocean View
Room received (if different than above): Same as booked
Award stay: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.) No
BRG stay: (yes/no) No
SNA(s) requested: (yes/no) Yes
Comments: SNA's did not clear. Hotel sold out when we arrived. Did ask to be upgraded if a room became available but nothing opened up.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by tnw
Property: Sheraton Waikiki
Dates(s): June 2015 - 5 Nights
Room booked: Deluxe Ocean View
Room received (if different than above): Same as booked
Award stay: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.) No
BRG stay: (yes/no) No
SNA(s) requested: (yes/no) Yes
Comments: SNA's did not clear. Hotel sold out when we arrived. Did ask to be upgraded if a room became available but nothing opened up.
Sweetie, this is not a fail....
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by supatight80
Sweetie, this is not a fail....
True, it's sold out, no more rooms.

I remember one blogger complained about not getting a suite upgrade even when the hotel was sold out. He said it was unacceptable and threatened to move his business elsewhere. Guess status got to his head....

Last edited by lcpteck; Jul 2, 2015 at 9:32 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:14 am

True, it's sold out, no more rooms.

I remember one blogger complained about not getting a suite upgrade even when the hotel was sold out. He said it was unacceptable and threatended to move his business elsewhere. Guess status got to his head....
That's definitely within the realm of the Diamond Guest clip on Youtube
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by stargold
That's definitely within the realm of the Diamond Guest clip on Youtube
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:11 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Property: Westin O'Hare
Date(s): 07/10-12/2015
Room booked: Traditional
Room received: Traditional
Award stay: no
BRG stay: yes
SNAs redeemed: no
Comments: N/A
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:35 pm

Property: Equinox, Luxury Collection, Manchester Village, VT
Date(s): 07.2015
Room booked: Superior
Room received: Superior
Award stay: yes
BRG stay: no
SNAs redeemed: yes but didn't clear
Comments: found out they only have 3 suites for the entire hotel. Also found out the rooms we've stayed in used to be suites but now are sub-divided into two superior rooms (was told the hotel used to have lots of suites but no takers, so they converted them to superior rooms instead.)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Property: Sheraton Zagreb
Dates(s): Aug 30 - Sep 3
Room booked: base room
Room received: Executive Floor
Award stay: Cash & Points
BRG stay: No
SNA(s) requested: No
Comments: Did not offer suite upgrade. Tons of suites available for sale online at firesale rates. Seemed overly excited at checkin to provide me with an Executive room - which looks just like a normal room imo except it's on the top floor. Big whoop. No lounge at this hotel either. I was too tired to argue. May go down tomorrow AM to discuss.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Comments: Did not offer suite upgrade. Tons of suites available for sale online at firesale rates. Seemed overly excited at checkin to provide me with an Executive room - which looks just like a normal room imo except it's on the top floor. Big whoop. No lounge at this hotel either. I was too tired to argue. May go down tomorrow AM to discuss.
You received an upgrade. that is a success.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Comments: Did not offer suite upgrade. Tons of suites available for sale online at firesale rates.
You should have chosen the Westin Zagreb. Always a suite upgrade for me there.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
The Nines in Portland, Oregon

Check in: Today
Reserved: Deluxe King bed
Got: Deluxe King bed one tiny slim window not even 2 foot wide. View of a wall.
Award Res: No $299 plus per night
Front Desk said there was nothing, available. I checked online, and there are one-bedroom suites, and club rooms available for booking. I asked if someone could call me, got a call from a desk manager, he was pretty rude, saying for my rate there was nothing available.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
You received an upgrade. that is a success.
That's right, the thread is Platinum Upgrade Failures, not Platinum Suite Upgrade Failures.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Property: Le Méridien Cyberport
Date(s): February 2015 and March 2015 (1 night each)
Room booked: Smart Room
Room received: Smart Room
Award stay: No
SNAs redeemed: No
Comments: Frontdesk mentioned no Suite or Deluxe Ocean Rooms were available even though Ocean Facing rooms were available. I did get an early check-in though.
I had the same experience. In fact, I was given an inferior room to the one I'd booked on the first night and send an email to the GM, who apologised and upgraded me to a standard suite for the next night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.