Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How to convert a cash night to an award night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

My friend booked two nights - one using cash and another using points. Now that he has enough points for the second night, he would like to convert the first night from cash to points. Unfortunately, the hotel is sold out for that night.

What's the best way to go about trying to convert the cash night into award night? If he cancels his room, what are the chances of it becoming available as award night?

Last edited by aegt123; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:29 am
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:36 am
Suspended

I wouldnt CX the res unless they dont mind staying elsewhere, cxing a res doesnt mean it will be available, could be theres a WL already or that the hotel is already oversold for that night.

Not sure SPG will make the switch if there arent any rooms available. Cant hurt to call and ask. I know with Marriott Ive switched from a pts stay to a cert stay (which is considered a pts stay) but never tried with SPG
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by aegt123
My friend booked two nights - one using cash and another using points. Now that he has enough points for the second night, he would like to convert the first night from cash to points. Unfortunately, the hotel is sold out for that night.

What's the best way to go about trying to convert the cash night into award night? If he cancels his room, what are the chances of it becoming available as award night?
Contact the property if the cash rate is cancelable. Ask them if they can make the change for you. Bottom line, be nice.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Central reservation wasn't able to cancel it and switch it to award night, but will try working with the property directly.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aegt123
Thanks for the tips. Central reservation wasn't able to cancel it and switch it to award night, but will try working with the property directly.
The only way I see the hotel agreeing to this is if they are at the min capacity level to get 100% full reimbursement from SPG. I think 90% is the mark that if they are at that level then instead of a few peanuts as payment SPG must pay them the going rate that they are getting for that night. if they are below that level basically you are asking them to accept say a $35 payment from SPG instead of you $169 (or whatever are youre booked at), doubt they will agree to that

Its even better if they are @ 100% reimbursement level and the rate you booked at is lower then that, then by agreeing to let you switch to pts they will come out ahead. Just dont know how they can make the switch from $$ to Pts
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
When is the reservation? Perhaps wait until a few days before the cancellation period and see the inventory would free up.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

The reservation is for Sheraton Maui hte week of Thanksgiving so we are talking about paying $450+tax for that extra night.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd keep checking for room/award availability and book it if/when it becomes available. Then cancel the paid night. The property can combine the 2 award reservations. All in parallel with seeing if the property will do anything for you.

But certainly don't cancel, assuming it will be immediately available. As noted, that's a good way to have nowhere to stay.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Did you book a rate with cancellation fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.