Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bumped from my hotel at midnight and downgraded to a dump!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from my hotel at midnight and downgraded to a dump!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Hope you come back to FT. Lots of nice people here with good (usually) advice.

I'm glad you actually got a room, and it sounds like you got some extra help from the manager. I agree with the advice to call ahead if you are going to be late to try to avoid being walked, though even that may not work 100% of the time.
I'm not sure what "extra help" the OP received from the manager. Aside from a ride to the Days Inn - which I would've put the brakes on had it been revealed before leaving the Aloft - I don't see how mgmt made this right at all.

I definitely would've asked for 10 minutes to confirm that there were no rooms available in the area for myself - esp when I might have status with another chain that might have gone out of their way to help me out. Checking my iPhone apps would've only taken a couple of minutes. A night at the Days Inn sticks with a traveler.

To the OP - I hope you come back to ft and seek and give advice. Also, let us know how this all turns out.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It didn't completely make it right, but the manager was trying. In the end, the OP ended up saving ~$70 from not having to pay for the room, but had some wasted time.

Sometimes things don't turn out perfectly. That's life. OP is addressing this by not using this hotel due to their service screw ups, which is appropriate.

Yeah, I know, oh the horrors of a Days Inn.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:31 pm

Maybe I'm still new to this but if Aloft and Days Inn both already offered free boarding (and I'm assuming it's over the span of a few days and not just one night stay), that is something, it's not nothing. And now they've even offered to pay all of your Cab fares. Perhaps you wanted $500 USD compensation? Good luck with that.

Why don't you share with us what SPG should of done to earn your SPG50 back? $500 USD? $1000 USD? A letter of apology from Lurker?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Maybe I'm still new to this but if Aloft and Days Inn both already offered free boarding (and I'm assuming it's over the span of a few days and not just one night stay), that is something, it's not nothing. And now they've even offered to pay all of your Cab fares. Perhaps you wanted $500 USD compensation? Good luck with that.

Why don't you share with us what SPG should of done to earn your SPG50 back? $500 USD? $1000 USD? A letter of apology from Lurker?
Sounds like it was a single night. Of course not getting walked is the first choice, but picking a Days Inn as a comp for Aloft? Brand Management might have an issue there. Not responding to the calls always raises the frustration level. I'm wondering if the property was trying to get by with doing as little as they could.

In a perfect world, if a walk can't be helped, the property should have had a package all ready to inform the guest of what's been set up and what they should expect. Keeps the guessing to a minimum and shows concern for the guests satisfaction. All inquires should be responded to within a business day. I don't think that's asking too much.

The SPG program was formed to help sell customers to be returning customers. Little things like this are totally counter-productive to that goal and the lack of a few $'s of planning costs them many $'s of revenue.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:15 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by flyalloverthecountry
Some answers to your questions....
I'm not elite at Starwood, but I am preferred.
The hotel said all hotels in the are were booked, and it was 1am - and here I am without transportation - I was at their mercy.
The shuttle driver was 'off' for the night (you have a point about the manager driving).
Aloft and Days Inn didn't charge me for the room - which is nice but doesn't cover all the crap Starwood put me thru.
Yep, I'm a one-time poster. I generally don't get riled up during travel, but this was exceptional. When you arrive at 1am, (yes, they knew my arrival time, but I didn't call to check) you expect a room to be there. They were hoping I was not going to show up.
And the continued lack of response from Starwood has me switching brands.
Your experience is unfortunate.
You mention you are "preferred " member. you also mention you stay 50 nights per year in hotels. You also mention you are switching brands due to this experience.
Switching from what brand to what brand?
Based on the information you provided , Starwood is not a hotel group you frequent at all
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RogerD408
picking a Days Inn as a comp for Aloft? Brand Management might have an issue there.
Whether they have an issue or not, that sounds about right to me. Aloft is one of Starwood's budget brands, like Four Points.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Whether they have an issue or not, that sounds about right to me. Aloft is one of Starwood's budget brands, like Four Points.
Well, no, Days Inns certainly are several steps below Aloft in terms of rooms/amenities. They are usually just fine, but not Aloft quality. In this case, it sounds like any port in a storm.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's my thoughts also, I mean Aloft.... if he booked W or St. Regis and they put him in Days Inn that's one thing, but Aloft....
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:18 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Wow. 2 Pages of posts and not a single Welcome to FT, flyalloverthecountry.

Walking is something hotels do, however once you have this experience you will learn when arriving late to:

1) Email the property in advance to notify them of a late arrival (don't rely on the arrival time input on the reservation).
2) Call on the day of arrival. Call again later that night.
3) Consider prebooking the night before. We do this for arrivals close to midnight, and anytime we want guaranteed early check in prior to 3PM.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Wow. 2 Pages of posts and not a single Welcome to FT, flyalloverthecountry.

Walking is something hotels do, however once you have this experience you will learn when arriving late to:

1) Email the property in advance to notify them of a late arrival (don't rely on the arrival time input on the reservation).
2) Call on the day of arrival. Call again later that night.
3) Consider prebooking the night before. We do this for arrivals close to midnight, and anytime we want guaranteed early check in prior to 3PM.
3) If OP had booked the night before, the reservation would have been considered a no show and OP would have had no reservation when he/she arrived. OP wasn't trying to save money by hoping for an early check in but instead had reserved the room for the short night.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Days Inns certainly are several steps below Aloft in terms of rooms/amenities.
My (admitedly limited) Aloft experience says otherwise. Specific properties can always differ, but taken as a brand, I think they're prety equivalent.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

A few more answers...
It was just one night.
I stay with many brands, and have liked Starwood in the past.
They were totally not prepared for my arrival and my room was prepaid.
Days Inn is nothing like an Aloft.
What I'd like?? Acknowledgement that they screwed up and a small token gesture (some points?) I'm not asking for the moon, but they are stating they did nothing wrong - I don't agree.
This property must be some type of franchise and Starwood shows no interest in keeping me as a guest.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by flyalloverthecountry
A few more answers...
It was just one night.
I stay with many brands, and have liked Starwood in the past.
They were totally not prepared for my arrival and my room was prepaid.
Days Inn is nothing like an Aloft.
What I'd like?? Acknowledgement that they screwed up and a small token gesture (some points?) I'm not asking for the moon, but they are stating they did nothing wrong - I don't agree.
This property must be some type of franchise and Starwood shows no interest in keeping me as a guest.
Contact the hotel management first. This is a hotel issue, not a starwood issue. Please keep in mind that because you are not an elite member, you don't have the same "protections" as an elite member would.

If you don't like the hotels answer/response, then contact starwood corporate customer service. However, know what you want (What would make you happy?) before you write/phone the manager and/or starwood.

You can find out more things about being "walked" by reading existing threads in this forum.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:55 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
3) If OP had booked the night before, the reservation would have been considered a no show and OP would have had no reservation when he/she arrived. OP wasn't trying to save money by hoping for an early check in but instead had reserved the room for the short night.
Incorrect. It's widely used in the hotel industry. Call any hotel chain and they will tell you the only way to guarantee check in earlier than the stated time on the website is to prebook the night before. The reservation is flagged and protected from no show.

We do this for properties around the world whether they be Sheratons, Park Hyatt or Four Seasons.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Incorrect. It's widely used in the hotel industry. Call any hotel chain and they will tell you the only way to guarantee check in earlier than the stated time on the website is to prebook the night before. The reservation is flagged and protected from no show.

We do this for properties around the world whether they be Sheratons, Park Hyatt or Four Seasons.
... but the OP wasn't trying to check in BEFORE his scheduled arrival, he was trying to check in very late the day of his reservation. Booking the night before would not have done anything for him. Even with a guaranteed reservation the property would have ended up walking him, there was a maintenance issue (so they said) so it's not like they overbooked.

Yes, guaranteed reservations are supposed to be good until the next morning. But there are many reasons why the property may not hold the room and risk having to pay to walk a guest. It's all part of their risk management and some properties have extensive formulas to determine what's within an acceptable risk level.

Constant communications is about the only way to avoid a situation like this, but not and absolute. I called a property where I wasn't going to be arriving until about 11pm. The desk clerk said not to worry that I would have a room ready. Unfortunately there was a shift change and no passing of the baton. When I got to the room the bed was not made and dirty towels were on the floor. I don't know if they just didn't clean it that day or someone had a party in what was presumed an empty room.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.