FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   W Hotel chain embraces prostitution... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1618298-w-hotel-chain-embraces-prostitution.html)

ehud Oct 6, 2014 4:02 am

W Hotel chain embraces prostitution...

A SOUTH JERSEY couple claims in a recent legal filing that undercover investigators found that the W Hotel chain embraces prostitution, allowing hookers to ply their trade with complete impunity.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne...Bqdlz3mvltB.99

drwilliams Oct 6, 2014 4:19 am

From the article:

"Oral arguments in the case are scheduled for early next month."

:)

Dr. HFH Oct 6, 2014 6:12 am

The filing also claimed that the W Hotel ..., and that its website advertises sex toys.
Anyone else see this on the website?

As expected, this claim motivated by someone trying to collect $$$. And the best way is to go for the deep pockets, regardless of whether or not there's actually any fault. But let's look at the other side for a minute. What is a hotel supposed to do? Periodic room checks? Refuse anyone who looks the part? Limit in-room guests?

ajca Oct 6, 2014 6:24 am

"Whatever/Whenever"

DCF Oct 6, 2014 6:25 am

The problem is that there might be some truth in this, as outlandish as it might sound.

W hotels market themselves as Party Central, especially at weekends. The nightclub lines are intended to be legendary. But part of that whole pool party / nightclub party narrative is sex. Sex with someone thin and glamorous.

And that's where this could get awkward. Do some hotels cross a line from policing and prohibiting prostitution to aiding and abetting it? They certainly do here in Eastern Europe (and no, I'm not singling out Starwood properties).

And are hotels which trade on their young/hip/sexy vibe more likely to encourage prostitution by young/hip/sexy men and women?

I had expected this article to be absurd. But it actually wasn't.

Dr. HFH Oct 6, 2014 7:54 am

Originally Posted by DCF (Post 23632908)
Do some hotels cross a line from policing and prohibiting prostitution to aiding and abetting it?

I can't imagine how they're going to police or prohibit it? I certainly have no interest in the hotel's inquiring about what's going on in my bedroom.

christianj Oct 6, 2014 8:49 am

Inquiring minds want to know what the wife was wearing since the other working ladies thought she was competition. :D

Seriously....anyone that travels a lot can tell this goes on at hotels. I would guess that hotels that cater to business and even convention travel have this and most of them don't have a young/hip/sexy vibe.

cleanfloor Oct 6, 2014 9:22 am

It's always been an open secret that half the bar at any W is on the clock.

Moriens Oct 6, 2014 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 23632871)

The filing also claimed that the W Hotel ..., and that its website advertises sex toys.
Anyone else see this on the website?

Yes. (The W Hotels store used to carry Jimmy Jane vibrators.)

Also (for example) wscottsdalehotel.com/fantasy:

This sultry package includes a whip, handcuffs and mask with a bottle of Chandon upon arrival, upgrade to a Spectacular Room and breakfast in bed for two. Book online ... and mention rate plan FANTASY3.

creampuff Oct 6, 2014 3:01 pm

There are certainly a few Sheratons in Asia which are wall-to-wall hookers!

macdonaldj2 Oct 6, 2014 6:03 pm

there are some extremely NSFW pictures from a 'shoot' in a W Westwood Suite, was going to say something to the rep when I came across them

yosithezet Oct 6, 2014 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2 (Post 23636477)
there are some extremely NSFW pictures from a 'shoot' in a W Westwood Suite, was going to say something to the rep when I came across them

On their website? Somewhere they have control over?

MSPeconomist Oct 6, 2014 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by creampuff (Post 23635651)
There are certainly a few Sheratons in Asia which are wall-to-wall hookers!

Try Russia.

HMPS Oct 6, 2014 11:02 pm

Really ? So what is new under the sun ?
Benn around since time began !

JackE Oct 6, 2014 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Moriens (Post 23635643)
Yes. (The W Hotels store used to carry Jimmy Jane vibrators.)

Also (for example) wscottsdalehotel.com/fantasy:

Selling sex toys is not the same as selling sexual services. For example, it's something a husband and wife might use -- I'm told.