Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$200 Check from SPG Amex

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If you took this check to a Chase/JPM bank, would they cash it if you do not have an account there? Until you know for sure it's 100% legit, I would hate to have my account and routing numbers get back to the originator if I cashed it at my own bank.

And I'm sure you have all looked all over your Amex account screens, and no mention of it anywhere?

I've always been leery of free lunches.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If you took this check to a Chase/JPM bank, would they cash it if you do not have an account there? Until you know for sure it's 100% legit, I would hate to have my account and routing numbers get back to the originator if I cashed it at my own bank.

And I'm sure you have all looked all over your Amex account screens, and no mention of it anywhere?

I've always been leery of free lunches.
I don't see where anyone has called Amex to inquire about the check. Why don't you be the first to call the number on the back of your card and ask about the authenticity of the check?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I didn't get a check.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:40 am

Come on folks, use a little logic and put down the paranoia.

This is not some Nigerian-type scam! You really think some crooked outfit just happened by coincidence to send checks to people who have had a specific credit card (many times years ago) and reference that card as why they are getting the checks?

Or perhaps someone hacked into American Express's computer systems just to get a list, then went to all the trouble to come up with a reason and official looking checks. However, if all they wanted to do was steal bank account numbers by sending fake checks, wouldn't it be easier to just send generic "rebate" checks to anyone in America? After all, how official and detailed are most rebate checks you get back in the mail?

Not saying there isn't some hidden motive (e.g. class action/government fine concerns) or Amex didn't keep good records, but let's refrain from the idea that the checks are a potential scam and weren't authorized by Amex.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teammjs
Not saying there isn't some hidden motive (e.g. class action/government fine concerns) or Amex didn't keep good records, but let's refrain from the idea that the checks are a potential scam and weren't authorized by Amex.
We know Amex has records of how much we've spent and how much they've credit into SPG as a result of that spending. I mean, they can't *not* have that immediately available.

Therefore, even if they did hose something up, why wouldn't they make good with a corrected deposit into the SPG accounts?

Why wouldn't they do an account-credit instead of a check?
Why would the check be drawn from a competitor bank?
Why would so many people get the same round amount (or multiple thereof)?
Why isn't there a thorough explanation of what happened? With infosec being such a hot topic, why wouldn't they more thoroughly explain the scope of the "error", if for no other reason than to reassure people than hackers don't have their information?

Not saying it's a scam, but I think it's reasonable to ask questions.

Has anyone phoned Amex directly, gone through the usual process of reaching a human agent, and asked about the check? I suppose that would at least kill off the paranoia about a scam...even if you still had questions as to why Amex is doing it this way.

Last edited by pinniped; Oct 6, 2014 at 12:18 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Who has deposited the check?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Originally Posted by teammjs
Or perhaps someone hacked into American Express's computer systems just to get a list, then went to all the trouble to come up with a reason and official looking checks. However, if all they wanted to do was steal bank account numbers by sending fake checks, wouldn't it be easier to just send generic "rebate" checks to anyone in America? After all, how official and detailed are most rebate checks you get back in the mail?

I don't have an SPG Amex, but is it a coincidence that JP Morgan/Chase DID have a recent publicized banking data breach? All it takes is a call to SPG/Amex to ensure the checks are valid.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
If you took this check to a Chase/JPM bank, would they cash it if you do not have an account there?
Yes if the check is written from their bank they can look into the account and see if the funds exist and if so then cash it for you. The recipient doesn't need an account at the issuing bank.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Who has deposited the check?
I did (well my family member did)... No issues. It's already posted
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by freeloader
I did (well my family member did)... No issues. It's already posted
It's a relatively small amount so it's not as much of a worry but in general fraudulent checks can still be reversed after the holding/posting period.

It's more of an issue with say a $10K check, you spend the whole amount and then it comes back as fraudulent 20 days later. Now you're on the hook to repay the bank.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
If you took this check to a Chase/JPM bank, would they cash it if you do not have an account there?.......
Who knows..... They have a newish policy regarding depositing cash there. If you are not "named" on an account you cannot deposit cash into that account, only a check.

TW
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: MR Plat, AA EXP, Hertz Presidents Club, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by milemonkey
Just received a check for $200 saying that they had failed to credit my account with the proper amount of starpoints. Seems kind of strange. Has anyone ever received something like this before?
I have not gotten a check. But would be happy if I did get one. I have been an SPG cardholder for the last 8 years.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:04 pm

i received a $200 check yesterday related to my starwood biz account i opened and closed back in 2010/11. I know i received all my bonus points when I opened the card and met the min spend as I track all of that stuff. Kudos to Amex for doing this
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:27 am

I also just received a $400 and have no idea…..It also said, “reimbursement for the value of Starwood Starpoints that we were unable to apply to your account at the time you earned them.”

Depositing it now
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Cubswin
I also just received a $400 and have no idea…..It also said, “reimbursement for the value of Starwood Starpoints that we were unable to apply to your account at the time you earned them.”

Depositing it now
"Just received" meaning today or 1.5 to 2 weeks ago when everyone else did? Some of us are still hoping we receive checks, too. In fact, I ask my wife every day about the mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.