FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   scam or glitch? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1617423-scam-glitch.html)

monoflight Oct 2, 14 2:19 pm

scam or glitch?
 
I had 4 rooms reserved at a NYC-area property for 3 nights. About 2 weeks ago, it became clear we wouldn't need the rooms. I went online and cancelled them.
A week ago, I noticed them still there, so cancelled them again online.
I noticed it was still there 3 nights ago and called in to spg to cancel.
I was just checking my online account and saw them there again, so called the hotel directly. They were quite rude, confirmed that they still saw the reservation as active and suggested I deal with spg.
SPG just confirmed that I indeed cancelled the reservation 3 times and the hotel went in and restored the reservation all 3 times!
Of course this could be a computer glitch, but couldn't it also be a scam? I would be on the hook for 4 nights deposit if SPG didn't have the documentation that I had indeed canceled it.

Moriens Oct 2, 14 2:33 pm

Was it the (Parker) Le Meridien? If it was, it's probably a scam. They are known scammers (according to Starwood's own allegations).

LovetoTravel83 Oct 2, 14 2:35 pm


Originally Posted by Moriens (Post 23617069)
Was it the (Parker) Le Meridien? If it was, it's probably a scam. They are known scammers (according to Starwood's own allegations).

:D Please let's open that door again.

monoflight Oct 2, 14 2:55 pm

I don't want to make this against anyone - just posing a suspicion.

pricesquire Oct 2, 14 4:29 pm

...what property?

Oxon Flyer Oct 2, 14 4:34 pm


Originally Posted by monoflight (Post 23616995)
I would be on the hook for 4 nights deposit if SPG didn't have the documentation that I had indeed canceled it.

Did you not receive the normal cancellation email and reference number when you cancelled online ?

monoflight Oct 2, 14 7:31 pm

I did get cancellation emails. SPG confirmed that it was properly cancelled 3 times and manually reinstated by Mr. xxx at the hotel at some point after the cancellation. It was the same night manager each time, even though cancellations were done at different times of day.
The 3rd cancellation was done with a call into SPG, so can't be a pure website glitch, could it?

Any thoughts on the possible explanation for why a night manager would continue to go in and manually reinstate a cancelled reservation 3 times? What could the motivation/upside be?

MSPeconomist Oct 2, 14 8:33 pm

The hotel wants to charge you a night's room charges, for all of the rooms, as a no show. It's an easy way to make some money.

However, they should know that you'll have the email confirming the cancellation even if you failed to write down and keep the cancellation number. Also, this is the sort of thing that people would notice on their credit card bills, complain, and escalate.

Dr. HFH Oct 2, 14 9:49 pm

Once is likely a mistake, IMO. However, if a hotel employee, particularly someone in management, is repeatedly reinstating a cancelled reservation, that sounds like consumer fraud to me. In Massachusetts it would be classified as an "unfair or deceptive trade practice" which would entitle you to up to triple damages plus attorney fees. I'm not suggesting that litigation is the way to solve this. However, if they eventually charge your credit card for the night(s), I might use this as a negotiating tactic to extract compensation points from the hotel. While FT regulars know that I often side with management on some of the complaints we see on FT, there is absolutely no excuse for this type of behavior.

monoflight Oct 2, 14 11:36 pm

I think this situation just makes me extremely suspicious and uncomfortable, but can't imagine compensation or a lawsuit! I don't have the full data or know how to say - this was an an attempt to scam me - so I'm trying to figure out if there's a benign reason for this to have happened.

As a funny aside, I just realized that, if I hadn't caught this today and they had charged the card and a night credit had posted to my account, it would put me over to requal for plat for the year, which also happens to be my lifetime plat night.
Could you imagine the irony of having to call spg to have them remove the fraudulent charge and stay credit and dial me back down to lifetime gold after 10+ years and 500+ nights of accumulating!?!

dsquared37 Oct 3, 14 12:18 am


Originally Posted by monoflight (Post 23618919)
I think this situation just makes me extremely suspicious and uncomfortable, but can't imagine compensation or a lawsuit! I don't have the full data or know how to say - this was an an attempt to scam me - so I'm trying to figure out if there's a benign reason for this to have happened.

As a funny aside, I just realized that, if I hadn't caught this today and they had charged the card and a night credit had posted to my account, it would put me over to requal for plat for the year, which also happens to be my lifetime plat night.
Could you imagine the irony of having to call spg to have them remove the fraudulent charge and stay credit and dial me back down to lifetime gold after 10+ years and 500+ nights of accumulating!?!

Do you get night/stay credit for a no-show?

MSPeconomist Oct 3, 14 5:44 am


Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 23619003)
Do you get night/stay credit for a no-show?

NO, you must physically stay at the hotel So OP would be in the worst possible case: charged but probably no points/night/stay credit and if by change OP does get points/hight/stay credit by mistake, when OP complains, it will be taken away.

Starwood Lurker Oct 3, 14 8:12 am


Originally Posted by monoflight (Post 23617188)
I don't want to make this against anyone - just posing a suspicion.

If you would like for us to look into this, send us the details to the email address below.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

ZenWorld Oct 3, 14 9:23 am

If what OP said is true, I want to see how the hotel can get away with this sort of thing.

OP, pls kindly report the end results after the Starwood Corporate investigations.

Really shocking to hear such a thing occurring at a Starwood NYC hotel.

Hopefully it is just a mix-up and not the hotel gaming for a no-show fee. But 3 times in a row, manually, is extremely fishy.

CLEguy Oct 3, 14 9:35 am

I, too, would love to know which property this was. I stay in the city regularly and move reservations around all the time as needs arise--this isn't something I should need to worry about. Name and shame!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:27 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.