scam or glitch?

Old Oct 4, 14, 6:23 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by missxmelon View Post
Was your cancelled stay reinstated? Or is your upcoming reservation a different stay? Just curious if you experienced the same thing as the OP.
My canceled stay has not been re-instated, but you can bet (thanks to this thread!) I will keep an eye out for it between now and the date that was booked.
Old Oct 4, 14, 7:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by postular View Post
My canceled stay has not been re-instated, but you can bet (thanks to this thread!) I will keep an eye out for it between now and the date that was booked.
^ Glad to hear that!
Old Oct 6, 14, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
To confirm, I didn't get a stay credit. No news yet.
Old Oct 6, 14, 4:07 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Funny, I had a [slightly] similar thing happen to me a few months ago. A 2 night reservation for a certain SPG property in Rome suddenly appeared in my upcoming stays, and after cancelling it twice, I left it to see what would happen. Still not sure, only that I got the stay credit and points and still have no idea how or what it may have been.
I have stayed in the hotel once or twice in the past but there was no unauthorized charge on my cc so I simply enjoyed the free points.
Old Oct 7, 14, 8:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by sam33 View Post
Funny, I had a [slightly] similar thing happen to me a few months ago. A 2 night reservation for a certain SPG property in Rome suddenly appeared in my upcoming stays, and after cancelling it twice, I left it to see what would happen. Still not sure, only that I got the stay credit and points and still have no idea how or what it may have been.
I have stayed in the hotel once or twice in the past but there was no unauthorized charge on my cc so I simply enjoyed the free points.
Do you have a common name? That sounds like someone stayed in the hotel with your status, paid, but you got the points. I once checked into an Intercontinental in Syndney (first time in the country) and they welcomed me back, thanked me for my loyalty and upgraded me to a suite. It wasn't until later when I noticed that the address was incorrect on my receipt that I figured out why they may have upgraded me.
Old Oct 7, 14, 10:09 am
Original Poster

I don't wish to share , but I assure you, my name is unusual! I usually can get just my first name as an email address, to give you an idea.
Old Oct 8, 14, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by monoflight View Post
It's the Four Points LIC
i was looking at this property for a possible stay in december....please keep us posted on what explanation the property gives....this is definitely not normal behavior....
Old Oct 8, 14, 10:51 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AA, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
I had almost this same scenario with the (now closed) W Silicon Valley. SPG said it was the hotel who kept reinstating my reservation, despite me having cancelled it online and then with SPG Platinum desk twice. I also got a "How was your stay?" email after the date I HADN'T stayed there. No points or stay credit, though. ;-(
Old Oct 11, 14, 11:51 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Score8 View Post
Do you have a common name? That sounds like someone stayed in the hotel with your status, paid, but you got the points. I once checked into an Intercontinental in Syndney (first time in the country) and they welcomed me back, thanked me for my loyalty and upgraded me to a suite. It wasn't until later when I noticed that the address was incorrect on my receipt that I figured out why they may have upgraded me.
My name is somewhat common I suppose, though I have no way of knowing what actually happened here other than that I'm not complaining about the free points. It struck me as very strange that I had cancelled it twice (well in advance) and that it was reinstated both times....
Old Oct 12, 14, 1:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Did you try calling the manager directly?
Old Oct 12, 14, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JackE View Post
Did you try calling the manager directly?
Yes, but am giving spg a chance to give me the story first. The GM basically said that he saw no cancellations or reinstatements at all, and asked if I would forward the info I had. He did say the night manager who SPG said had manually reinstated the 3 times had no recollection of the matter.

I did get a preliminary story Friday afternoon that was so confusing to both me and the spg rep that was trying to convey it to me that we mutually decided he should look into it more and get back to me.
Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 12, 14, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Yes, but am giving spg a chance to give me the story first. The GM basically said that he saw no cancellations or reinstatements at all, and asked if I would forward the info I had. He did say the night manager who SPG said had manually reinstated the 3 times had no recollection of the matter.

I did get a preliminary story Friday afternoon that was so confusing to both me and the spg rep that was trying to convey it to me that we mutually decided he should look into it more and get back to me.
Fingers crossed!
It sounds like you didn't talk to the actual person who repeatedly entered it 3 times. You earlier indicated you had his name, so if you actually speak to him and he knows you're tracking this, and him, then maybe he'll stop reinstating the charge.

Another approach is to call the credit card provider and request that no more charges from this property be made on your credit card. Then he won't be able to reinstate the charge even if he has the gall to do so.
Old Oct 13, 14, 8:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
It sounds like you didn't talk to the actual person who repeatedly entered it 3 times. You earlier indicated you had his name, so if you actually speak to him and he knows you're tracking this, and him, then maybe he'll stop reinstating the charge.

Another approach is to call the credit card provider and request that no more charges from this property be made on your credit card. Then he won't be able to reinstate the charge even if he has the gall to do so.
From reading the thread, I do not believe OP's credit card was ever charged. Only the reservation was reinstated, not a CC charge.
Old Oct 13, 14, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Correct, my card was not charged and reinstated, but the reservation was repeatedly cancelled and reinstated.

Also, it was a night manager that manually reinstated the reservation, not the GM. Since the GM has said the night manager has no recollection of this, I see no reason to speak with him directly. Once SPG gives me their side, if I need to, I'll reach out to the GM again.

Everyone, please double check your bills and cc statements regardless of the hotel/location!
Old Oct 16, 14, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Correct, my card was not charged!
Turns out they tried to charge my card, but the card I have on file expired 9/14 and the stay was 10/2, so it didn't go through.

No further updates on what happened yet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: