scam or glitch?

 
Old Oct 3, 14, 9:54 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 343
By all means, please tell us the name of the property.
postular is offline  
Old Oct 3, 14, 10:41 am
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 17,120
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
NO, you must physically stay at the hotel So OP would be in the worst possible case: charged but probably no points/night/stay credit and if by change OP does get points/hight/stay credit by mistake, when OP complains, it will be taken away.
I know it woudln't be the case but OP seemed to believe it.
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 14, 1:20 pm
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 273
What does naming the property accomplish while they're looking into this?
For the moment, I'm giving them a couple days to get back to me with a reasonable explanation.
I promise I will share the name once this is closer to a resolution - good or bad - or if someone from SPG says no big deal.
I just don't want to make this a rant against any one property - would the behavior not be concerning if it was in a different city, a st regis or an aloft?
monoflight is offline  
Old Oct 3, 14, 6:29 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by monoflight View Post
What does naming the property accomplish while they're looking into this?
For the moment, I'm giving them a couple days to get back to me with a reasonable explanation.
I promise I will share the name once this is closer to a resolution - good or bad - or if someone from SPG says no big deal.
I just don't want to make this a rant against any one property - would the behavior not be concerning if it was in a different city, a st regis or an aloft?
It helps warn others with upcoming reservations at this hotel, or those who have cancelled a reservation there like yourself. What if someone wasn't careful or responsible enough to notice a charge on his/her credit card?

If you come here looking for advice, you should also be willing to share in return.
missxmelon is offline  
Old Oct 3, 14, 7:10 pm
  #20  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 273
Originally Posted by missxmelon View Post
It helps warn others with upcoming reservations at this hotel, or those who have cancelled a reservation there like yourself. What if someone wasn't careful or responsible enough to notice a charge on his/her credit card?
That is a fair point, as the GM specifically said that there is no history of this at their hotel.
It's the Four Points LIC
Please let SPG know if you have cancelled a reservation and it was reinstated or see a charge on your credit card for a cancelled reservation at this hotel or any other. If it's a glitch, it may help them locate it... and if it's a scam, it may help expose it.
monoflight is offline  
Old Oct 3, 14, 8:33 pm
  #21  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,290
What/where is LIC?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 3, 14, 8:58 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,747
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What/where is LIC?
Four Points Long Island

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...language=en_US
travelswithmyself is offline  
Old Oct 3, 14, 9:30 pm
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 273
LIC is Long Island City - just across from midtown Manhattan in queens about a 15 minute subway ride from times square.
monoflight is offline  
Old Oct 3, 14, 10:28 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by monoflight View Post
That is a fair point, as the GM specifically said that there is no history of this at their hotel.
It's the Four Points LIC
Please let SPG know if you have cancelled a reservation and it was reinstated or see a charge on your credit card for a cancelled reservation at this hotel or any other. If it's a glitch, it may help them locate it... and if it's a scam, it may help expose it.
Thanks
missxmelon is offline  
Old Oct 4, 14, 11:52 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OAK
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
Posts: 3,749
Reinstating the reservation once could be an innocent mistake, twice perhaps just maybe a misunderstanding, but three times under the circumstances listed ?

If this were me, having got proof that I'd cancelled, I'd leave it be, and if they charged my CC report it as fraud to the police. Clearly, it's not a mistake - it's been done deliberately, and there's no apparent plausible innocent explanation.
dgwright99 is offline  
Old Oct 4, 14, 12:21 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,968
Originally Posted by monoflight View Post
I had 4 rooms reserved at a NYC-area property for 3 nights. About 2 weeks ago, it became clear we wouldn't need the rooms. I went online and cancelled them.
A week ago, I noticed them still there, so cancelled them again online.
I noticed it was still there 3 nights ago and called in to spg to cancel.
I was just checking my online account and saw them there again, so called the hotel directly. They were quite rude, confirmed that they still saw the reservation as active and suggested I deal with spg.
SPG just confirmed that I indeed cancelled the reservation 3 times and the hotel went in and restored the reservation all 3 times!
Of course this could be a computer glitch, but couldn't it also be a scam? I would be on the hook for 4 nights deposit if SPG didn't have the documentation that I had indeed canceled it.
Total scam. They are banking on you are one of those weaklings that don't fight for your own rights and will just end up paying them. This, if bought to court, can easily be won (but again they are banking that you won't because most people are afraid of litigation process.) Horrible.
Cathay Boy is offline  
Old Oct 4, 14, 1:51 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Posts: 3,151
Didn't we have something like this once before where there was also a reservation with another SPG member with a similar or same name, or SPG number off by one digit and the hotel kept reinstating it in error?
Out of my Element is offline  
Old Oct 4, 14, 3:28 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 343
Originally Posted by monoflight View Post
That is a fair point, as the GM specifically said that there is no history of this at their hotel.
It's the Four Points LIC
Please let SPG know if you have cancelled a reservation and it was reinstated or see a charge on your credit card for a cancelled reservation at this hotel or any other. If it's a glitch, it may help them locate it... and if it's a scam, it may help expose it.
Thank you very much as I do have an upcoming stay there as well as a canceled one. I am still not clear how they are explaining why this happened. If this was a scam, I would expect this as an offense worthy not only of termination but also criminal prosecution.
OTOH if it's a one-off and there is a reasonable explanation that is something else.
postular is offline  
Old Oct 4, 14, 5:31 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by postular View Post
Thank you very much as I do have an upcoming stay there as well as a canceled one. I am still not clear how they are explaining why this happened. If this was a scam, I would expect this as an offense worthy not only of termination but also criminal prosecution.
OTOH if it's a one-off and there is a reasonable explanation that is something else.
Was your cancelled stay reinstated? Or is your upcoming reservation a different stay? Just curious if you experienced the same thing as the OP.
missxmelon is offline  
Old Oct 4, 14, 5:37 pm
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Posts: 11,818
Originally Posted by postular View Post
Thank you very much as I do have an upcoming stay there as well as a canceled one. I am still not clear how they are explaining why this happened. If this was a scam, I would expect this as an offense worthy not only of termination but also criminal prosecution.
OTOH if it's a one-off and there is a reasonable explanation that is something else.
Well, it's already at least a three-off.
sethb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: