FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   scam or glitch? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1617423-scam-glitch.html)

postular Oct 3, 2014 9:54 am

By all means, please tell us the name of the property.

dsquared37 Oct 3, 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 23619873)
NO, you must physically stay at the hotel So OP would be in the worst possible case: charged but probably no points/night/stay credit and if by change OP does get points/hight/stay credit by mistake, when OP complains, it will be taken away.

I know it woudln't be the case but OP seemed to believe it.

monoflight Oct 3, 2014 1:20 pm

What does naming the property accomplish while they're looking into this?
For the moment, I'm giving them a couple days to get back to me with a reasonable explanation.
I promise I will share the name once this is closer to a resolution - good or bad - or if someone from SPG says no big deal.
I just don't want to make this a rant against any one property - would the behavior not be concerning if it was in a different city, a st regis or an aloft?

missxmelon Oct 3, 2014 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by monoflight (Post 23622208)
What does naming the property accomplish while they're looking into this?
For the moment, I'm giving them a couple days to get back to me with a reasonable explanation.
I promise I will share the name once this is closer to a resolution - good or bad - or if someone from SPG says no big deal.
I just don't want to make this a rant against any one property - would the behavior not be concerning if it was in a different city, a st regis or an aloft?

It helps warn others with upcoming reservations at this hotel, or those who have cancelled a reservation there like yourself. What if someone wasn't careful or responsible enough to notice a charge on his/her credit card?

If you come here looking for advice, you should also be willing to share in return.

monoflight Oct 3, 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by missxmelon (Post 23623562)
It helps warn others with upcoming reservations at this hotel, or those who have cancelled a reservation there like yourself. What if someone wasn't careful or responsible enough to notice a charge on his/her credit card?

That is a fair point, as the GM specifically said that there is no history of this at their hotel.
It's the Four Points LIC
Please let SPG know if you have cancelled a reservation and it was reinstated or see a charge on your credit card for a cancelled reservation at this hotel or any other. If it's a glitch, it may help them locate it... and if it's a scam, it may help expose it.

MSPeconomist Oct 3, 2014 8:33 pm

What/where is LIC?

travelswithmyself Oct 3, 2014 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 23623878)
What/where is LIC?

Four Points Long Island

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...language=en_US

monoflight Oct 3, 2014 9:30 pm

LIC is Long Island City - just across from midtown Manhattan in queens about a 15 minute subway ride from times square.

missxmelon Oct 3, 2014 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by monoflight (Post 23623677)
That is a fair point, as the GM specifically said that there is no history of this at their hotel.
It's the Four Points LIC
Please let SPG know if you have cancelled a reservation and it was reinstated or see a charge on your credit card for a cancelled reservation at this hotel or any other. If it's a glitch, it may help them locate it... and if it's a scam, it may help expose it.

dgwright99 Oct 4, 2014 11:52 am

Reinstating the reservation once could be an innocent mistake, twice perhaps just maybe a misunderstanding, but three times under the circumstances listed ?

If this were me, having got proof that I'd cancelled, I'd leave it be, and if they charged my CC report it as fraud to the police. Clearly, it's not a mistake - it's been done deliberately, and there's no apparent plausible innocent explanation.

Cathay Boy Oct 4, 2014 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by monoflight (Post 23616995)
I had 4 rooms reserved at a NYC-area property for 3 nights. About 2 weeks ago, it became clear we wouldn't need the rooms. I went online and cancelled them.
A week ago, I noticed them still there, so cancelled them again online.
I noticed it was still there 3 nights ago and called in to spg to cancel.
I was just checking my online account and saw them there again, so called the hotel directly. They were quite rude, confirmed that they still saw the reservation as active and suggested I deal with spg.
SPG just confirmed that I indeed cancelled the reservation 3 times and the hotel went in and restored the reservation all 3 times!
Of course this could be a computer glitch, but couldn't it also be a scam? I would be on the hook for 4 nights deposit if SPG didn't have the documentation that I had indeed canceled it.

Total scam. They are banking on you are one of those weaklings that don't fight for your own rights and will just end up paying them. This, if bought to court, can easily be won (but again they are banking that you won't because most people are afraid of litigation process.) Horrible.

Out of my Element Oct 4, 2014 1:51 pm

Didn't we have something like this once before where there was also a reservation with another SPG member with a similar or same name, or SPG number off by one digit and the hotel kept reinstating it in error?

postular Oct 4, 2014 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by monoflight (Post 23623677)
It's the Four Points LIC

Thank you very much as I do have an upcoming stay there as well as a canceled one. I am still not clear how they are explaining why this happened. If this was a scam, I would expect this as an offense worthy not only of termination but also criminal prosecution.
OTOH if it's a one-off and there is a reasonable explanation that is something else.

missxmelon Oct 4, 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by postular (Post 23626826)
Thank you very much as I do have an upcoming stay there as well as a canceled one. I am still not clear how they are explaining why this happened. If this was a scam, I would expect this as an offense worthy not only of termination but also criminal prosecution.
OTOH if it's a one-off and there is a reasonable explanation that is something else.

Was your cancelled stay reinstated? Or is your upcoming reservation a different stay? Just curious if you experienced the same thing as the OP.

sethb Oct 4, 2014 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by postular (Post 23626826)

Well, it's already at least a three-off.