Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Chicago, Oakbrook Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Méridien Chicago, Oakbrook Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I was back last week and I continue to have issues with numerous things at this hotel even though I want to really like it. For me the following were issues on this stay:

Lack of Platinum Upgrade
- On my previous stay the Front Office Manager (Tammie) flat out lied to me and told me that I didn't get an upgrade because the suites had just been released on that day. Well if they were released and you were selling them online why wasn't I given one?
- For this stay the iphone app clearly listed me as upgraded to a Club Floor Suite but when I arrived I was given a Club Floor Room. When I asked to speak to Tammie I was again given some story about that I had never been upgraded and she had no idea what the iphone app was showing. Even after showing her the screen she insisted that the Club Floor Room was the best upgrade I could get.
- During my stay the room across the hall from me had the door propped open on one day for most of the day. Walking by I could clearly see it was a suite that was clearly unoccupied. I even knocked on the door while passing by two times because I wanted to see what the room actually looked liked past the front door. No answer and there clearly wasn't anyone staying in the room...even though they couldn't give it to me as an upgrade. Here are some pics of the suite from outside the propped open door. Looks pretty nice but don't expect to get it since they don't seem to honor Platinum Upgrades!!

Continued Construction
- crews were constantly working on the 9th floor and on other floors. On the 9th floor they were messing with the restrooms, AC vents and also the wallpaper.
- construction issues with the elevators as there were times during which only 1 elevator was working.

Club Lounge Lack of Options
- I will let the picks speak for themselves:

Overall I really want to love this place because I think it has potential. Frustrated over how they have handled the Platinum upgrades so far so next week I will be at the Westin Lombard.

Last edited by christianj; Sep 2, 2014 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
I agree that the property has potential. The shower water pressure, when I was there about 2 weeks ago, was abysmal. That was enough for me to not stay again. I also was not upgraded to a suite on my overnight stay. The lounge breakfast when I was there was similar to these images but at least there was food options more plentiful but far from robust.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:14 am

Would love to see any more updates if anybody stayed recently.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Would love to see any more updates if anybody stayed recently.
How much more recent do you want that a week? Not really sure what you think could have changed. Maybe less construction but the rooms and the lounge surely didn't change and I doubt the hotels upgrade practice changed either.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Bump. Anything recent? Have they finally started giving suite upgrades to platinums?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone happen to know if (self) parking is free? The website states 0-15$ for self and valet parking so leaves a bit clarity to be desired. Also any updates if water pressure has been sorted out?

Just going for normal room and not Platinum (just Corporate Preferred) so not expecting any upgrades.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by demue
Does anyone happen to know if (self) parking is free?
Hotel is located next to a mall and some free standing restaurants and there is plenty of free parking. Last time I was there the spots right on the side of the hotel were free and I can't imagine how that could have changed.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the info. Doing one night for double points + Le Meridien NA promo + app booking promo and to keep some activity on my SPG account. Corp rate is around 85$ so not too bad, I just don't want to pay extra for parking.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:12 am
FSU

The restaurant in the hotel, El Tapeo, has a nice happy hour. Half price on selected tapas and some nice drinks as well. Worth checking out while you are there.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:16 am

Finishing up my 7th trip here to take advantage of the LM promo (2k pt/stay). I am 7/7 with NO suite upgrade. I have tried all nights of the week and one of them was during a snow storm, where I am sure occupancy is really low since all of the adjoining parking spots are empty (only saw my car). Seems like the staff will try really hard not to upgrade you like the previous posts have stated.

In terms of the hotel, i still think it has potential...we will see how it does in like a year. Location wise its great.

Also, the shower water pressure is much greater now, but now it has a new problem. Depending on which room you are in, the pressure is so strong that the drain cannot keep up. lol So you will be standing in a inch of dirty water while showering.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, BA Prem/LG, AA CK, UA GS, Marriott Ambassador
I have stayed there twice now. Once got a suite upgrade (it was very nice).
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Is the club breakfast still that bad?

Is it a "Complimentary full breakfast" or "Continental breakfast served in Club Lounge" if booking a club room?

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 5, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Originally Posted by seawolf
Is the club breakfast still that bad?

Is it a "Complimentary full breakfast" or "Continental breakfast served in Club Lounge" if booking a club room?
Breakfast is in the very nice club lounge. Offerings on my recent stays included eggs and sausage in induction chafers, croissants, cereals, a small selection of pastries, whole and cut fruit, juices, and an Illy machine. I've found it superior to many other continental breakfasts and worth noting its served fairly late which is nice if you had a late arrival. In my stays the lounge was fairly lightly populated so you likely won't see large quantities, but I found the selection just fine.

I've been very well treated as have colleagues I have sent here, and I second the recommendation for the lounge and restaurant adjacent to the lounge. The only downside to the property is the single circuit heating and cooling system. The room temp can only vary a few degrees from the average the occupied rooms are calling for.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Breakfast in lounge is "full." Continental plus scrambled eggs, sausage, and potatoes.

Old May 19, 2018, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 5/18 - 5/19

Location: The hotel is located in Oakbrook Center, in the parking lot of the high end Oakbrook Center Mall. Nearby are a bunch of restaurants including a Gibson's Steakhouse (very recommended) as well as several other places. ORD is a 20 minute drive with no traffic, 35 minutes with traffic away and the Chicago Loop is 20 miles away.

Hotel: Definitely a strange looking building on the outside but what's inside is incredible. There's a gorgeous lobby with a small bar and coffee shop just off it. The 9th floor has a bar and restaurant I didn't visit but I hear is quite nice. Valet parking is thankfully a reasonable $15 because the parking lot is otherwise shared with the mall and it can be hard to find parking spaces.

Check In: Handled very well by an incredibly friendly agent. She thanked me for being SPG Gold, offered me points or a welcome amenity and then without asking upgraded me to an Executive Suite.

Room: Simply incredible. Hands down one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. I only wish I was staying longer than a single night. There was a huge living room, dining area, large bedroom and amazing bathroom. Everything about it was wonderful.

Other: I had croissants and coffee from room service for breakfast which was a reasonable enough $29 and was all really tasty. On the weekends you can stay here for very reasonable rates (I paid just $134). It's a really nice hotel and wonderful to have a LM in Chicago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.