Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on SPG stay in Tokyo, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
My wife and I loved the Westin (this was a few years ago before it went up to category 6). Since we didn't have status, we emailed the hotel in advance, asking if we could use points on check-in for an upgrade to a club floor room. It was definitely worth it because we were able to eat breakfast in the main restaurant downstairs, so for 2500 points extra per night we got a nicer room on a higher floor, evening drinks, and an absolutely wonderful breakfast each morning. The location close to Ebisu station was fine for sightseeing.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
My wife and I loved the Westin (this was a few years ago before it went up to category 6).
The good thing is that it dropped back to Cat 5 earlier this year.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:01 am

Any updates on Tokyo Starwood properties? I am plat. Going with family including two teenagers.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Any updates on Tokyo Starwood properties? I am plat. Going with family including two teenagers.
Westin is a good choice for a family stay. It is a solid hotel with larger-than-average rooms for Tokyo. My family stayed there last fall; they are very well-equipped to deal with children. They even supplied us with all the diapers we needed for free. And even the fancy restaurants in the hotel welcome children, which is far from universally the case in Tokyo.

The only downside to the Westin is that the concierge desk is not very useful. They will attempt to steer to you the least authentic, most westernized, lowest-common-denominator version of whatever you enquire about. I’ve had far better experiences with the concierges at other high(ish)-end proprieties in Tokyo. This could be important to you depending on your interests, because many reservations in Tokyo are logistically difficult to impossible for non-Japanese speakers.

That said, the only other hotels I could recommend in Tokyo for your situation would be outside of the Starwood universe.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:17 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
The Ritz Carlton has very large rooms for Tokyo standards and can be booked by transferring SPG points to Marriott -- may be worth looking at, especially if you were going to try to stay all in one room. Both it and the Westin will cost slightly fewer points when the new award chart kicks in sometime in August (the Ritz will go back up Jan 1). The Prince Gallery is also fantastic and centrally located, and will be the same pricing as the Ritz, but it has fairly small rooms so would definitely want 2 rooms for the family.

Japanese hotels are very strict about number of guests staying in a room and are typically more vigilant than hotels elsewhere, so if you're not planning to book 2 rooms already, make sure you're confirmed for 4 people in the room or you may have issues at check-in.
acrophobia likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I’m leaning the Westin for an upcoming paid stay 10/10-10/16 as their points rooms are double beds and I only need a king for the wife and I.

would anyone have a direct email address to the hotel concierge and front desk for me to contact for some request?

many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.