Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
1. What is the suite-upgrade benefit for SPG Platinum members?
Technically, the published benefit isn't for a suite upgrade, but rather for the "best available room." As described in the official SPG statement of Platinum benefits, such upgrades are subject to several conditions and limitations:

Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites. [Footnote: Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties.]
2. Wait--you mean I might not be entitled to get any sort of upgrade?
That's right. Legitimate reasons for getting no upgrade of any kind include
  • You booked your stay "through a pre-paid third-party channel" such as Priceline.
  • You're at an all-suite hotel.
  • You're at an Aloft or Element hotel.
3. None of that applies to me. I can see suites available for purchase online, so the property has to upgrade me to one, right?
No.

First of all, the benefit covers only Standard Suites. As the published benefit statement makes clear, "Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded."

Second, the benefit is "[s]ubject to availability at check-in." If an otherwise qualifying suite (or other room) is not "available" at the time you check in, you're not entitled to it.

Why might a suite be available for a paid booking right now, for tonight, but not "available" for purposes of upgrade? Lots of reasons, including
  • it's before 4pm local time, and some Platinum (or other elite) SPG member is taking advantage of the separate late-checkout benefit. So the suite will indeed be up for grabs to any willing purchaser later today--and is thus listed in online inventory--but right now is occupied.
  • the suite is empty, but hasn't yet been made ready by housekeeping.

Additionally, even if a Standard Suite is cleaned, ready for occupancy, and available for booking online, you're not necessarily entitled to it, because it must be available "for the entire length of the stay." If you're staying at the property for 4 nights, you can't just look at rooms/suites available for tonight; a suite open right now might be booked for tomorrow night or the night after that. In that case, you can't have it, even for a portion of your stay.

Finally, properties often pre-block suites and upgraded rooms for elite status guests ahead of time. These rooms are still offered for sale, and you can change your reservation to pay for the suite. But it's not considered "available" for you to be put in at time of check-in. SPG provides properties with a suggested order of priority for elite members. So the suite that you see may be already be pre-assigned to another elite guest with a higher "priority" than you.
4. Wow. Don't those exceptions give an unscrupulous manager a license to game the system?
Yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that you as a guest are in no position to determine whether there's a suite occupied by someone checking out late and/or being cleaned by hotel staff. And no, in the sense that these things can in fact be determined after the fact by somebody who is not you.
5. So what should I do if I think I'm being improperly denied an upgrade?
First, what not to do: make a scene at the front desk waving around your laptop opened to the SPG site showing suites available for booking. As you know -- you read items 2-4 above, right? -- that information is at best evidence that there might be a suite available for you.

If you think you're being short-changed,
6. But the last time I stayed at this property/when I called a few days before checkin, I was given/promised an upgrade to the Honeymoon suite/a suite after my first night/etc. etc.!
Perhaps. Properties are entirely free to go above and beyond the published program benefits for Platinum guests (or even lowly Golds), but this is not the same as an entitlement. It's bad for a property to overpromise and underdeliver, and you may well choose to take such concerns to SPG corporate representatives. Just keep in mind the difference between a clear entitlement under SPG's terms and an extra offer on which the hotel couldn't or wouldn't follow through.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

The SPG forum is littered with threads about the Platinum suite-upgrade benefit and denials thereof. In many cases, properties do (as with other published benefits) fail to deliver as promised to SPG elites; in many other cases, though, members fail to understand the limits of the benefit (and/or the difference between the benefit and any "above and beyond" promises offered by a given property).

The wiki above is an effort to concisely summarize the issues, including many misconceptions about the suite-upgrade benefit. My hope is that when future Threads of Indignation arise, the wiki will serve as ready source of information on the subject.

(Mods, I've looked for an existing master thread in which to house this wiki but found nothing really suitable. If you think it belongs somewhere else, it won't bruise my delicate feelings.)

Last edited by beltway; May 31, 2014 at 3:55 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:53 am

make this a sticky?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Hmm. I do not see why. Most plats do know all this and may well find this a little patronising.

And they are still unhappy that in many cases rooms are assigned the day before and standard suites are left empty for the night while they are there in clear violation of the terms. The post suggests to call SPG for them to check the real inventory. Most plats are busy; they do not want to make a fuss and they will not.

Since SPG seem unwilling to monitor what goes on, a better strategy for us is to report what room upgrades we are given in the corresponding property thread and let people decide for themselves.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I doubt whether most Plats know this. I think it's very unlikely. Most plats on flyertalk with more than 50 posts maybe.

Even then, based on the posts I see I wonder. Thanks to the OP for a worthy contribution.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by beachfan
I doubt whether most Plats know this. I think it's very unlikely. Most plats on flyertalk with more than 50 posts maybe.

Even then, based on the posts I see I wonder. Thanks to the OP for a worthy contribution.
I am a Plat on SPG. I dont always stay up on all the terms on a suite upgrade. One of the reasons is that when I am on the road for business, or for a short stay when I run a marathon I may not pay close attention to some of ther terms and rules, and I dont care as much. I did have a situation overseas last week (on vacation) where I felt I was not getting truthful information from the front desk. I called for the manager. It was clear to me online that the best room available was not given to me, and it showed wide open availability (for every day of stay). After a short chat it was clear to me that unless I said something they would not upgrade me. The front desk was very deceptive and after talking to the manager this was exposed. I will say I did get aggressive, but I did not like what was happening and the front desk did not walk me to talk to the manager in the back room at the time.

They ended up moving my room after the first night I was there, to the best room. The hotel was not busy the first few nights I was there and then as I was checking out there was a major event and I was actually going to a better hotel. I was told that rooms showing online (it was an IT issue) However I was actually meeting with the sales director at the end of the week from SPG. Once I mentioned this, with the manager everything was straight.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Question

Originally Posted by robertw477
I am a Plat on SPG. I dont always stay up on all the terms on a suite upgrade. One of the reasons is that when I am on the road for business, or for a short stay when I run a marathon I may not pay close attention to some of ther terms and rules, and I dont care as much. I did have a situation overseas last week (on vacation) where I felt I was not getting truthful information from the front desk. I called for the manager. It was clear to me online that the best room available was not given to me, and it showed wide open availability (for every day of stay). After a short chat it was clear to me that unless I said something they would not upgrade me. The front desk was very deceptive and after talking to the manager this was exposed. I will say I did get aggressive, but I did not like what was happening and the front desk did not walk me to talk to the manager in the back room at the time.

They ended up moving my room after the first night I was there, to the best room. The hotel was not busy the first few nights I was there and then as I was checking out there was a major event and I was actually going to a better hotel. I was told that rooms showing online (it was an IT issue) However I was actually meeting with the sales director at the end of the week from SPG. Once I mentioned this, with the manager everything was straight.
Can you tell me what name of hotel ?
Manager tell you ? why they didn't upgrade you to best available room ? they know SPG rule and advertise for plat benefits ?
Can Lurker tell us how SPG can do with this situation and make it didn't happen again and again?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Subject to availability is a very loose clause anyway.

That can mean anything, depending on the property's discretion. I never expect suite upgrade is a given, so normally I will politely ask, won't really be overly bothered about the outcome unless I was given a sub-standard room. (I rarely get poor rooms, even during the time when I was Gold)
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:56 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have to admit, that I know the SPG Platinum benefits, but very often I do not care, if I get a suite or not, even if one is available. The simple reason, if I check in at 17:00, know that I have a appointment at 18:30 for the evening and will not return to the hotel prior to 22:00 and check out at 07:00 the next morning, there is no need for it. So why waste money (from the point of view of the hotel for cleaning etc.) when I could not really benefit from it?

And as a habit, I do not fight for a suite. If I get one, okay, if not (and one available) okay. Life is too short to worry about things like this.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
And as a habit, I do not fight for a suite. If I get one, okay, if not (and one available) okay. Life is too short to worry about things like this.
+1
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Some existing related information Complimentary Platinum Suite upgrade statistics, anyone?

Maybe add this to the wiki?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Some existing related information Complimentary Platinum Suite upgrade statistics, anyone?

Maybe add this to the wiki?
There are several seemingly overlapping threads,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...13-onward.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...cs-anyone.html

plus a multitude of one-off threads. IMO these kinds of reports aren't all that useful or enlightening; YMMV.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by beltway
There are several seemingly overlapping threads,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...cs-anyone.html

plus a multitude of one-off threads. IMO these kinds of reports aren't all that useful or enlightening; YMMV.
I agree since we don't know several facts about hotels. Such as:
  • How many total suites a property has
  • How many suites at X hotel are in the (select standard) upgrade pool?
  • What is the occupancy each day?
  • How many Plats are at each hotel each day?
  • How many suites are occupied by paying customers or SPG members who have used points to upgrade to each day?
  • How many rooms/suites are out of order (for whatever reason) each day? Which may cause inventory to not be accurately reflected online.

I think there are too many variables and unknowns for us to accurately determine why a person didn't get an upgrade on a certain day.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I think there are too many variables and unknowns for us to accurately determine why a person didn't get an upgrade on a certain day.
The truth. Even if some folks around here won't accept it.

Cheers,
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:45 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Flews
The truth. Even if some folks around here won't accept it.

Cheers,
Agreed. It is just like some folks will go to any length to defend the program and/or the hotels.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by nongsom
Can you tell me what name of hotel ?
Manager tell you ? why they didn't upgrade you to best available room ? they know SPG rule and advertise for plat benefits ?
Can Lurker tell us how SPG can do with this situation and make it didn't happen again and again?
I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I decided to have a weekend holiday in W Barcelona. It was in March, off season, I booked on Thursday for Friday arrival so I decided there is no point in using 3 SNAs as the property was empty. When I checked in I was told that there is no Studio suite available to upgrade me to, that category was sold out. I was offered a Marvelous room or a Cool Corner suite for a EUR 350+ per night upgrade supplement (as this category is not part of upgrade pool). I took the front office at face value, paid the supplement and got a cool corner suite as I was with my wife and kid and could do with a bigger room.
That evening, out of curiosity, I checked the availability of studio suites on spg.com as the property looked half full at the best. To my shock found that they had at least 9 studio suites (the maximum one can search for on spg.com) available for the whole 3 night stay!!
I shot off an factual complaint to SPG customer care before I went to sleep as I was not happy to be blatantly lied at by the front desk.
When I checked my e-mails next morning, I had a response from Customer care. They had checked availability situation, found that I was right, spoke to the night duty manager and made the property waive my upgrade supplement to cool corner suite. So yes, properties sometime lie to you blatantly and yes, SPG customer care responds if you have a real issue with the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.