Negotiating a 3-month stay

 
Old May 30, 14, 7:44 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shanghai, Singapore
Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Posts: 339
Negotiating a 3-month stay

Has anyone had experience negotiating a better rate for a 3-month stay at a SPG property, with or without night accrual and other SPG benefits?

I'm thinking this might be done for properties that have a Residences portion, but it'd be interesting to find out if hotels without residences do this too.

By better rate I mean something close to what one might get at a serviced apartment (Somerset/Frasers type).

If a city needs to be mentioned I'm thinking of Shanghai. Thanks.
roverkt is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 7:50 am
  #2  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MKE
Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Posts: 3,293
I've negotiated reduced (a good bit reduced) rates at hotels in the US for long term projects. Not necessarily full-time residence, but more like 4 or 5 consultants staying in 4 or 5 rooms 3 nights per week for 8 - 10 months.

Most managers I've approached have been very willing and friendly. Just reach out to the manager of the hotel(s) you're interested in.
Jumpgate is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 7:55 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,375
OP when talking to mgmt 1st discuss it as you posted a 3 month stay then ask about 3 30 day stays by checking out and staying elsewhere for night 31 each time you will accure Night credit and pts. You might beable to say book each 31st night as a seprarte res under a different name, so you wont have to leave the room itslef , just you wont get any credit or pts for those 2 nights
craz is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:04 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by craz View Post
OP when talking to mgmt 1st discuss it as you posted a 3 month stay then ask about 3 30 day stays by checking out and staying elsewhere for night 31 each time you will accure Night credit and pts. You might beable to say book each 31st night as a seprarte res under a different name, so you wont have to leave the room itslef , just you wont get any credit or pts for those 2 nights
What's wrong with stays longer than 30 days?
3Cforme is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:08 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG LTG, DL Plat
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by craz View Post
OP when talking to mgmt 1st discuss it as you posted a 3 month stay then ask about 3 30 day stays by checking out and staying elsewhere for night 31 each time you will accure Night credit and pts. You might beable to say book each 31st night as a seprarte res under a different name, so you wont have to leave the room itslef , just you wont get any credit or pts for those 2 nights
I realize I'm probably missing something, but why would you care about stays when you're getting 90 nights in 3 months?
DC777Fan is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Singapore
Programs: JL Sapphire | Marriott LT Silver | GE / TSA-Pre
Posts: 6,742
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
What's wrong with stays longer than 30 days?
I don't know, but SPG T&C only says stays more than 90 days won't earn starpoints. That also means you don't get stay/night credit since it's not an eligible stay to earn Starpoints.

2.8.a. An SPG Member will not receive Starpoints on any Eligible Charges for any portion of a single Eligible Stay in excess of 90 days.

UPDATE:
Just realized a 3 month stay would technically be more than 90 days, so I guess best to break the stay apart into 2 separate stays so you can earn night/stay credit.

Last edited by lcpteck; May 30, 14 at 8:18 am
lcpteck is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:17 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shanghai, Singapore
Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Posts: 339
Thanks for the replies.

Jumpgate, could you give a ballpark percentage you got reduced? It's probably not going to be directly comparable across properties but just for my rough idea.

craz, are you aware of some SPG-wide policy that might prevent a stay exceeding 30 nights from being accruable?

DC777Fan, thing is I've still got some nights left to renewing my Plat status this year, and if staying at a SPG property over 3 months at a _reduced_ rate won't get me any nights counting towards it then I probably wouldn't bother.
roverkt is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:18 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,375
Originally Posted by lcpteck View Post
I don't know, but SPG T&C only says stays more than 90 days won't earn starpoints. That also means you don't get stay/night credit since it's not an eligible stay to earn Starpoints.

2.8.a. An SPG Member will not receive Starpoints on any Eligible Charges for any portion of a single Eligible Stay in excess of 90 days.
My bad I thought the T&Cs said up to 30 days. But in many locales anything over 1 month has its own set of rules, as you arent considered a guest but a resident

so a 3 month stay from 7/1 - 10/1 booked as such = no nights or pts being earned since that stay would have 92 nights to it
craz is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:28 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by craz View Post
My bad I thought the T&Cs said up to 30 days. But in many locales anything over 1 month has its own set of rules, as you arent considered a guest but a resident
Taxation rules as a transient hotel guest vs. resident are not relevant to earning of SPG points: those terms are set by SPG.

Posters above cited the SPG limit 90 days or less for earning points, not 30.
3Cforme is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:55 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,375
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Taxation rules as a transient hotel guest vs. resident are not relevant to earning of SPG points: those terms are set by SPG.

Posters above cited the SPG limit 90 days or less for earning points, not 30.
I acknowledged that I was wrong about the 30 day limit before you posted whats the pt to your post? Never said taxation or any other rules has anything to do with earning pts. Its very possible that a hotel will not set up a 2 month or 3month res due to other things besides SPG earning credit

eg I was at a Courtyard the other night where besides getting pts as a welcome gift I get a 2nd choice as well. I usually will grab a Sam Adams from the mkt. Not so simple in NJ, where each hotel needs to have a liquor license of which the State has only x amount of. then each County has its own laws = for my stays in May, no beer at CY 1 they have a TGIF attached who has the license so they dont have any liquor within the hotel itself, CY 2 no problems, CY3 the liquor belongs to the Bristro and by County law they cant give it to me as my 2nd choice yet I can get a coffee in the morn from them there as the gift, CY 4 no liqour license

So could be China has no rules and you can have a 3 month res , or could be that City or Region has laws not allowing it, even thou The Country allows it, that was my pt even with a 80 day res. It can AOK with SPG but that isnt enough
craz is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:58 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shanghai, Singapore
Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Posts: 339
Thanks for bumping this thread but I appreciated both your comments and would like to return to the topic at hand. Now chill it.
roverkt is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 8:59 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,600
I expect that your success will depend a lot on the specific property. Don't bother with Starwood, this is one for the individual GM of the property. Also, s/he may want some form of proof that you're actually going to do the stays/nights. So maybe you suggest a credit after the first 30 days followed by a reduced rate for the next 60? Just a thought. Of course there are many other ways to approach this.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 9:19 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,375
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I expect that your success will depend a lot on the specific property. Don't bother with Starwood, this is one for the individual GM of the property. Also, s/he may want some form of proof that you're actually going to do the stays/nights. So maybe you suggest a credit after the first 30 days followed by a reduced rate for the next 60? Just a thought. Of course there are many other ways to approach this.
I highly doubt any Hotel will wait a full month before charging anything, let alone wait 3 months. Id expect a weekly charge based on the agreed upon rate so if the hotel says OK for 3 months its $100 per night, Id expect the hotel to charge me $700 every week till the stay is over. If I leave before the 3 months end Id expect an upcharge unless it was in the contract that after x nights I can leave w/o any penalty. Yet I never checked out , no different then prepaying my CC before the statement closes

But I do agree fully that a person should deal with the Hotel itself and not *W or SPG for best results
craz is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 9:27 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shanghai, Singapore
Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Posts: 339
craz, I think by "credit" HFH meant the crediting of nights/points rather than making payment. Clearly they'd want to swipe my card or ask for some other form of guarantee of payment before/upon my checking in for even a night's stay.

Thanks HFH -- sounds like a good idea. But do I really have to go all the way up to the GM? Or would the reservations manager suffice?
roverkt is offline  
Old May 30, 14, 10:05 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,375
Originally Posted by roverkt View Post
craz, I think by "credit" HFH meant the crediting of nights/points rather than making payment. Clearly they'd want to swipe my card or ask for some other form of guarantee of payment before/upon my checking in for even a night's stay.

Thanks HFH -- sounds like a good idea. But do I really have to go all the way up to the GM? Or would the reservations manager suffice?
got ya, but how would any hotel issue credit (if that means nights/pts) before a guest has checked out? Since SPG wouldnt know about the payments I assume paying each week is an internal thing and the hotel wouldnt be sending that over to SPG and would only after the guest checks out send anything to SPG

I would start with the res mgr, thats their job.
craz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: