FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   SPG Platinum through Amex SPG credits (multiple!!) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1578841-spg-platinum-through-amex-spg-credits-multiple.html)

cybaslacka May 21, 2014 6:13 am

SPG Platinum through Amex SPG credits (multiple!!)

http://www.therewardboss.com/2014/05...-elite-status/

This article says it all. In theory, link 10 Amex Spg cards to your spg account and get 50 nights credit, enough to requalify for plat. I can tell you first hand I have 4 cards linked and miraculously got 20 nights / 8 stay credits for 2014. In 2013, they did indeed cap it to 10 nights / 4 stays, regardless of how many cards linked.

KENNECTED May 21, 2014 6:54 am

Originally Posted by cybaslacka (Post 22899577)

This article says it all. In theory, link 10 Amex Spg cards to your spg account and get 50 nights credit, enough to requalify for plat. I can tell you first hand I have 4 cards linked and miraculously got 20 nights / 8 stay credits for 2014. In 2013, they did indeed cap it to 10 nights / 4 stays, regardless of how many cards linked.

This isn't miraculous as this has been a benefit of having an SPG card since late 2010. 10 cards? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express Benefit Update

However, I'm curious to know how you have four SPG cards linked?

cybaslacka May 21, 2014 7:08 am

The pt of the post is not that you get 2stays/5nights. The pt of the post is that for the first time ever, these credits stack! When you or your family members apply for the card, just input your spg account number instead of their own.

controller1 May 21, 2014 7:15 am

Originally Posted by cybaslacka (Post 22899811)
The pt of the post is not that you get 2stays/10nights. The pt of the post is that for the first time ever, these credits stack! When you or your family members apply for the card, just input your spg account number instead of their own.

Unless the family member regularly travels with you at your expense, why would they be willing to pay the annual fee for you to receive the benefit?

sfozrhfco May 21, 2014 7:27 am

Originally Posted by cybaslacka (Post 22899811)
The pt of the post is not that you get 2stays/10nights. The pt of the post is that for the first time ever, these credits stack! When you or your family members apply for the card, just input your spg account number instead of their own.

Sounds like you are just asking to have your SPG account audited and closed down. Putting your number on other people's credit card accounts?:rolleyes:

cybaslacka May 21, 2014 7:38 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 22899903)
Sounds like you are just asking to have your SPG account audited and closed down. Putting your number on other people's credit card accounts?:rolleyes:

the terms and conditions do not stipulate that only 1 spg account number per spg amex account. in fact when you log into americanexpress.com it shows on the top right "multiple cards associated with this spg account number" so amex is aware.

cybaslacka May 21, 2014 7:42 am

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 22899842)
Unless the family member regularly travels with you at your expense, why would they be willing to pay the annual fee for you to receive the benefit?

You can book the room for family members. As long as the platinum benefits are not applied when you are not present, this is allowed. if your family members had no chance of ever hitting platinum, it makes sense to put down your spg account number. consolidates the pts into 1 account and you can end up booking a room for 12k (for example) which may otherwise be scattered 7k and 5k between two accounts.

MSPeconomist May 21, 2014 9:43 am

I can understand having one personal and one business card linked to your account, but to me linking any more cards to the same account sounds fraudulent.

Someone is also paying a lot of annual fees (assuming that otherwise there wouldn't be so many SPG AmEx cards for OP and/or his/her friends and family), so this scheme is equivalent to paying over $750 per year to be SPG Plat and never stay in Starwood hotels. Maybe there's a sweet spot for someone with some stays/nights to benefit enough from Plat benefits to justify some additional credit card annual fees but it's not obvious beyond the fact that one annual fee costs less than the very best five night mattress run or even two stay mattress run if someone qualifies that way (and doesn't get SNAs, thereby making Plat status less valuable).

sfozrhfco May 21, 2014 10:27 am

Plus none of the nights count towards lifetime status. Doing this year after year is going to just bring up more and more red flags. It really makes no sense to tie your SPG number to somebody else's account and expect that this will not lead to an SPG account audit.

Okto May 21, 2014 10:29 am

Originally Posted by cybaslacka (Post 22899577)

Would you please come back and update this thread after SPG audits your account and reverses the stay/nights credited to your account that you did not earn? Hopefully, for you, SPG will stop there and not take further action.

cybaslacka May 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Okto (Post 22900892)
Would you please come back and update this thread after SPG audits your account and reverses the stay/nights credited to your account that you did not earn? Hopefully, for you, SPG will stop there and not take further action.

find me any terms or conditions whether from amex or spg that says linking more than 1 amex account to an spg account is not allowed.

if this is an spg related glitch, i have no issues with them fixing it.

Okto May 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by cybaslacka (Post 22901455)
find me any terms or conditions whether from amex or spg that says linking more than 1 amex account to an spg account is not allowed.

It is allowed. I, for example, have my personal and biz AMEX cards linked to my SPG account. I also do see the "multiple cards associated with this spg account number" blurb when I log in to my AMEX account.

What I seriously doubt is allowed is to bind someone else's AMEX account to your SPG account.

Anyway, good luck.

DC777Fan May 21, 2014 1:16 pm

The way I can see a benefit here is for somebody who owns 2-3 businesses. If you have 3 business cards (each for a different business) and one personal card, you've got 20 nights/50. That's a solid head start...

Tying cards from multiple people to one SPG account is just asking for trouble. Their T&C may not explicitly prohibit it, but I'll bet there's a clause in there that gives them broad subjective discretion to address things they don't like happening.

Okto May 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 22901830)
The way I can see a benefit here is for somebody who owns 2-3 businesses. If you have 3 business cards (each for a different business) and one personal card, you've got 20 nights/50. That's a solid head start...

Nope. See Lurker's comment in this post : No cardmember with multiple cards will receive more than 10 nights and 4 stays.

KENNECTED May 21, 2014 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Okto (Post 22902078)
Nope. See Lurker's comment in this post : No cardmember with multiple cards will receive more than 10 nights and 4 stays.

You beat me to this post! :p

That is why I asked in my initial post, how a person could have so many linked cards? Although the cybaslacka has alleged they now stick.

I think this is a very bad post which could put someones SPG account in jeopardy.