Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minibar charges for items I didn't buy

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 7:43 am

It seems you did buy the items - you just didn't take them...
Old May 20, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
These days, many minibars are fully automated so you can get charged if you bump the refrigerator or sneeze too hard.
I looked at mine the wrong way and two bags of potato chips jumped out and attacked me. I got charged for them.

Seriously, though, this past weekend, my daughter lifted a pack of cookies out of the "minibar," which was actually a "mini-tray," for about two seconds before my wife and I got to her (Parents develop super-fast reflexes.). We got charged for it but they removed it without question.

Mike
Old May 20, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, AMX Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Take a picture of the minibar contents with your phone when you arrive and when you check out. I emptied the minibar fridge when I stayed in London and placed my food in fridge. Replaced all when I checked out. Minibar charges were removed without issue when I showed the clerk the picture on my phone.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MSPpete
Take a picture of the minibar contents with your phone when you arrive and when you check out. I emptied the minibar fridge when I stayed in London and placed my food in fridge. Replaced all when I checked out. Minibar charges were removed without issue when I showed the clerk the picture on my phone.
However, if the minibar contained items requiring refrigeration, I feel sorry for the person who consumes that stuff after it was left outside of the refrigerator during your stay in the room. This is why you should ask hotel staff to clear out the refrigerator if you plan to fill it with your own items.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, AMX Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, if the minibar contained items requiring refrigeration, I feel sorry for the person who consumes that stuff after it was left outside of the refrigerator during your stay in the room. This is why you should ask hotel staff to clear out the refrigerator if you plan to fill it with your own items.
It was nothing perishable, of course!
Old May 21, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by MSPpete
That is one of the reasons why I like sealed minibar fridges...
Old May 22, 2014, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Flews
At most properties, they will do this for you if you ask.

Cheers,
Good to know! I tried cramming around the existing items before... Not good!

Once I bought a coke from the vending machine and recycled it in the room. The maid charged me for it without even bothering to look at inside the mini bar. So, it can happen if they are lazy and just base it on your trash contents. Not cool!
Old May 22, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I vote with those who note that they've seen automated minibars at few, if any, SPG properties. I know I've seen them, but they've never been at one of the anchor-type places where I've done multiple weeks/months/years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.