Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRG Claim Rate Mistake

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
BRG Claim Rate Mistake

Uuuugggh... I was raised too well. Long story short, my claim for the Westin Grand Vancouver was approved and adjusted down to $59.93/night, when it was suppose to be $159.93/night. For seven nights we're talking about, too. What do I do? Contact the hotel to see the best way to correct the situation.

I would email the BRG team outright, but the hotel has already touched my reservation and upgraded my room, so I'm not sure what the BRG team would say/do about that.

Should be interesting to see what the affected parties have to say about this.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I would consider it some good fortune that went your way this time. There are plenty situations that do not.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by jibi
I would consider it some good fortune that went your way this time. There are plenty situations that do not.
+1
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Honesty is laudable, although I'm a bit surprised that your reservation will be showing an upgrade.

I would take my good fortune and spread it to the hotel staff by tipping liberally...
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Honesty is laudable, although I'm a bit surprised that your reservation will be showing an upgrade.

I would take my good fortune and spread it to the hotel staff by tipping liberally...
That's because I had been in contact with reservations and took an upgrade offer at $20/night. The rate was not updated, but was probably added as a note on the reservation.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Triley
Uuuugggh... I was raised too well. Long story short, my claim for the Westin Grand Vancouver was approved and adjusted down to $59.93/night, when it was suppose to be $159.93/night. For seven nights we're talking about, too. What do I do? Contact the hotel to see the best way to correct the situation.

I would email the BRG team outright, but the hotel has already touched my reservation and upgraded my room, so I'm not sure what the BRG team would say/do about that.

Should be interesting to see what the affected parties have to say about this.
I would contact the BRG or Hotel, just to be sure so there are no "surprises" upon arrival, or after departure.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Is that what is showing on your email reply or on the confirmation on the Starwood website? I have discovered that what the email reply says, what is on your account on the website and what is the actual rate in the system can be completely different, and the third is most likely to stick.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Is that what is showing on your email reply or on the confirmation on the Starwood website? I have discovered that what the email reply says, what is on your account on the website and what is the actual rate in the system can be completely different, and the third is most likely to stick.
I've never experienced that. This is the first I've know about three different types of confirmation rates.

Whatever your rate is in your confirmation email is the rate that should be honored. I've never been questioned. If

This situation is different as the OP knows its a mistake and if the hotel and/or SPG/Starwood could come back to say something. Instead of waiting, just do the right thing from jump to avoid any possible issues.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:43 am

Everyone has their own personal set of ethics.

I recently discovered a huge mistake in my SPG account - in my favour. Because *wood/SPG and the property involved have always been so good to me, I reported it and had the credit reversed.

Not sure if I would have been so honest if this mistake had been made by some other business or program (shurley not AC/Aeroplan?) that couldn't care less about the the customer.

I'm also trying to instil 'right from wrong' values in my 5-year-old twins. Hard for me to do that if I don't respect those values myself.

Not saying what's right for me is right for others. Just saying the OP should consider all factors personal to his own situation, then do what's right for him.

Cheers,
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
No Action Necessary

I think the correct BRG rate will prevail when you get to the hotel.

A couple of months ago I had a BRG rate in NYC, and the email from them had the correct rate. I had requested a SNA and it cleared... and then I noticed the rate showed something like $3.25 as the room rate.

My attitude was to just leave it and sort it out at the hotel. I wasn't going to start making phone calls or spend any effort to find out what the glitch was... Why, when it could easily be sorted out at the hotel when I get there?

Of course I figured the hotel would be looking somewhere for the revenue... they weren't going to comp the room for no reason... or give me a rate of $3.25. I was right. At the hotel they had the correct BRG rate.

There's no reason for you to lift a finger... I'd just show up and sort it out, if necessary, when you get there.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat97, AA PLT, Delta SM
I had a BRG rate for about 24,000 Yen (roughly $240 USD per night) but the BRG email listed it for 2,400 Yen per night (roughly $24 USD per night). I replied to the erroneous email from the BRG department and let them know about the mistake. They thanked me for my honesty and corrected the price. It would have been fun to get a room for $24 a night, but I didn't want to deal with any pricing issues when I got there ... hence I let them know about the error immediately. Got good karma points as well.

Last edited by luna6; Mar 8, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travel Pro
I think the correct BRG rate will prevail when you get to the hotel.

A couple of months ago I had a BRG rate in NYC, and the email from them had the correct rate. I had requested a SNA and it cleared... and then I noticed the rate showed something like $3.25 as the room rate.

My attitude was to just leave it and sort it out at the hotel. I wasn't going to start making phone calls or spend any effort to find out what the glitch was... Why, when it could easily be sorted out at the hotel when I get there?

Of course I figured the hotel would be looking somewhere for the revenue... they weren't going to comp the room for no reason... or give me a rate of $3.25. I was right. At the hotel they had the correct BRG rate.

There's no reason for you to lift a finger... I'd just show up and sort it out, if necessary, when you get there.
Whats the point in starting out a hotel stay trying to figure out a rate? This is why I suggest squaring up everything prior to leaving home.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Good Advice... Email BRG Prior

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Whats the point in starting out a hotel stay trying to figure out a rate? This is why I suggest squaring up everything prior to leaving home.
Valid point. Yes, I agree.... thinking about it, as the other poster mentioned, it's easy and it can't hurt to emal the BRG desk to let them know so they can sort it out.

In my case, I guess I'd have definitely done that if the hotel wasn't in the US. It didn't make a difference in my experience... the hotel had the right rate... but now agree with you... email BRG!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travel Pro
Valid point. Yes, I agree.... thinking about it, as the other poster mentioned, it's easy and it can't hurt to emal the BRG desk to let them know so they can sort it out.

In my case, I guess I'd have definitely done that if the hotel wasn't in the US. It didn't make a difference in my experience... the hotel had the right rate... but now agree with you... email BRG!
Exactly. Also, lets look at it from this point, if this was an error in favor of the hotel, I bet the folks here would say contact BRG and/or the hotel to correct the situation immediately. I personally do not see a difference.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Exactly. Also, lets look at it from this point, if this was an error in favor of the hotel, I bet the folks here would say contact BRG and/or the hotel to correct the situation immediately. I personally do not see a difference.
Parking for $45 per night in an area that does not warrant more than $15. Food that is of questionable quality but for three times the price it should be. Random hairs in the bathroom that never disappear. Room not ready "yet" when you arrive on time. No upgrades available when there are upgrades for sale. Etcetera. Etcetera. Etcetera. Travel is a game of give and take. You get some. You give some. I agree with the person above who said to take it if it offered and tip liberally when you get to the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.