Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]

Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]

Old Feb 21, 14, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
The biggest surprise for me is that the Sheraton Dulles increases. Bad news for Mileage Runners!
Old Feb 21, 14, 4:59 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

St. Regis Punta Mita is still the nicest Category 6 property I know of. Hopefully I'll be able to go again, on points, after our upcoming trip.
Old Feb 21, 14, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
The biggest surprise for me is that the Sheraton Dulles increases. Bad news for Mileage Runners!
I don't like this increase either (I use this hotel before early flights and when in need of the occasional mattress run as it usually participates in promos), but I understand it. Granted, I'm just one data point, but I was regularly getting rooms for $50 at the beginning of last year. It's been rising and right now I can't find cancellable rates under $69-79. In fact, it's often just as expensive as the Westin down the street (which makes it a no-brainer to stay at the Westin).

That said...just because I understand the category move doesn't mean I like it.
Old Feb 21, 14, 6:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going
Originally Posted by SJChick View Post
The upgrade in category of the Sheraton Waikiki, Sheraton Maui and Westin Maui is a crime. Seems like Starwood is taking advantage of the supply and demand situation in Hawaii; hotel rates there are off the charts. Glad we bought our timeshares at WKORV 13 years ago and I can now justify using the points to stay at the Royal Hawaiian and St. Regis Princeville.
Welcome to Flyertalk! Hopefully, you'll stick around and add your knowledge to our board.

I don't like the change is category of the hotels in Hawaii either, but I do understand them. The biggest factor in the category changes (as far as we can gather from postings by the Lurkers) is the room revenue. Since Hawaii's rates have soared so goes the category, regardless of whether we think a particular hotel is worth going to for the amount of points *wood charges. (There seem to be other factors as well, for example, expectation of higher room rates at the conclusion of a renovation.)
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by gregv View Post
With respect to being run down, I am not sure I agree.
Well, maybe "run-down" is a little harsh, but I don't see anything about either property being particularly distinguishable from its neighbors.

I think the Cat 2 status is a good call, considering the going rates for the area. I get almost emails from hotels in Niagara Falls with discounted rates. It was hard to justify using points when you can get very cheap rooms.
Old Feb 21, 14, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by moulder3 View Post
Having said that, the Sheraton Waikiki (despite being a well-managed hotel) as a Cat6 is completely insane! I have a feeling the hotel will regret the bump, because I bet they essentially made the same $ for Cat6 points as being a Cat5 + resort fee. That hotel has a lot of rooms to sell and losing on SPG point stays (especially in the low season) will bite them.
Indeed. I can see a scenario in which this one drops a cat in the future. No one is going to choose it when you could be at the RH instead for the same points.
Old Feb 21, 14, 5:10 pm

SPG Changes in March

So if I book my anticipated stay now for a property at current point but that property will be moving up in category and if I need to change the travel dates, will the rate change? How flexible is it in terms of how far out i can make the change and still not have to rebook or pay additional points?

Ex. If i book for November 2014 but need to change the date for travel in 2015, would I need to pay the new cost?
Old Feb 21, 14, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcstudent View Post
I don't like this increase either (I use this hotel before early flights and when in need of the occasional mattress run as it usually participates in promos), but I understand it. Granted, I'm just one data point, but I was regularly getting rooms for $50 at the beginning of last year. It's been rising and right now I can't find cancellable rates under $69-79. In fact, it's often just as expensive as the Westin down the street (which makes it a no-brainer to stay at the Westin).

That said...just because I understand the category move doesn't mean I like it.
I don't follow the logic... If you are mattress running and the hotel is cheap, why would you care how many points SPG want for a free night?
Old Feb 21, 14, 5:17 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hqly2001 View Post
So what happens of I book now for a trip to anaheim at the end of the year at the current rate but have to change dates? Will the current rates be honored with the date changes?
No...you would pay whatever the rate is at the time of the change.
Old Feb 21, 14, 5:44 pm

[QUOTE=sfozrhfco;22393543]No...you would pay whatever the rate is at the time of the change.[/QUOT

Good to know. Hyatt at least allowed changes without having to pay new rates.
Old Feb 21, 14, 5:55 pm

Ex. If i book for November 2014 but need to change the date for travel in 2015, would I need to pay the new cost?
if you make the change after the cutoff date, then yes, you have to pay the new cost

book as many one night stays as you need
Old Feb 21, 14, 6:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
SPG Changes in March

Not really worthy of a new thread. Perhaps the mods could move to the thread already containing such discussion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-4-2014-a.html
Old Feb 21, 14, 6:13 pm

Sheraton Waikiki

I just tried to book at the Sheraton Waikiki for February 2015 and the only room that is loaded on spg.com is a suite. I called spg and they said that they can't do anything. I called the hotel and they said that they don't expect to load the standard rooms for a few weeks "after the category change."

Sheesh. That stinks!
Old Feb 21, 14, 6:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sdflyer04 View Post
I just tried to book at the Sheraton Waikiki for February 2015 and the only room that is loaded on spg.com is a suite. I called spg and they said that they can't do anything. I called the hotel and they said that they don't expect to load the standard rooms for a few weeks "after the category change."

Sheesh. That stinks!
^ for transparency and honesty.

for gaming the system to the detriment of the customer!
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
So what happens of I book now for a trip to anaheim at the end of the year at the current rate but have to change dates? Will the current rates be honored with the date changes?
They would charge the new rate like all the other hotel programs. If they didn't, what would stop all of us from just booking speculative bookings so we could then keep advancing them into the future? Not saying any of us here at ft would do such a thing but there's really no other way to handle increases.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: