Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]

Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]

Old Feb 21, 14, 7:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sdflyer04 View Post
I just tried to book at the Sheraton Waikiki for February 2015 and the only room that is loaded on spg.com is a suite. I called spg and they said that they can't do anything. I called the hotel and they said that they don't expect to load the standard rooms for a few weeks "after the category change."

Sheesh. That stinks!
It seems that this hotel is not playing friendly with the rules. A standard room is available on Travelocity but not SPG.com. I would contact them with that approach and see what they have to say. SPG.com should always be on par with the availability as these 3rd party travel sites.

http://www.travelocity.com/Oahu-Isla...ooms-and-rates
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by jibi View Post
It seems that this hotel is not playing friendly with the rules. A standard room is available on Travelocity but not SPG.com. I would contact them with that approach and see what they have to say. SPG.com should always be on par with the availability as these 3rd party travel sites.

http://www.travelocity.com/Oahu-Isla...ooms-and-rates
Thanks for this information. Wow, I had no idea that they were gaming the system this much. Any chance one of the Lurkers can intervene here? I can make the calls. But, it would be great if the Lurkers could fix the problem.
Old Feb 21, 14, 7:53 pm

Thanks for this information. Wow, I had no idea that they were gaming the system this much. Any chance one of the Lurkers can intervene here? I can make the calls. But, it would be great if the Lurkers could fix the problem.
Send them an email.
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:08 pm

Update On Sheraton Waikiki

I just rechecked spg.com and the Sheraton Waikiki has now added room rates in dollars for February 2015. However, spg.com says to call to book rooms on points. Unfortunately, when I called, the representative said that the points rooms have not been loaded. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and see if everything is loaded then.
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
They are not "gaming the system". One can book using the current award schedule all the way through early January of next year. They just haven't loaded the award rates beyond that.

The sky isn't falling…….
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
They are not "gaming the system". One can book using the current award schedule all the way through early January of next year. They just haven't loaded the award rates beyond that.

The sky isn't falling…….
If they are selling "standard" rooms for dollars and not making them available for points and the reservation person at the hotel states (after checking with the person in charge) that they aren't planning to load the points rooms until after the category increase, how do you not call that gaming the system?

I'm not sure what you mean by the sky isn't falling. Are you trying to say that the rooms will be made available before the category increase? If so, how do you know that? With a jump from 12k per night to 20K per night starting March 4, in the flyertalk world, I call that the sky falling if the hotel is trying to avoid giving the 12K rooms. My planned 9 night stay will go from 96K points to 160K points. On this board, I suspect that I am not alone in thinking that is something to complain about.
Old Feb 21, 14, 8:34 pm

I just rechecked spg.com and the Sheraton Waikiki has now added room rates in dollars for February 2015. However, spg.com says to call to book rooms on points. Unfortunately, when I called, the representative said that the points rooms have not been loaded. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and see if everything is loaded then.
The rooms they have available on SPG.com are Endless Escape rates, so I'm not sure if that would qualify for the "no blackouts" guarantee for free nights. It should on principle, but...
Old Feb 21, 14, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I'm not sure what you mean by the sky isn't falling.
Some possibilities: Nobody will die if the hotel doesn't load its rates. In the grand scheme of things, it just isn't that important. The world will keep on spinning.
Old Feb 22, 14, 12:26 am

mahasamatman said:

Some possibilities: Nobody will die if the hotel doesn't load its rates. In the grand scheme of things, it just isn't that important. The world will keep on spinning.

-----------------

I am guessing that you and clublounger aren't planning a stay at the Sheraton Waikiki in February 2015?

Last edited by sdflyer04; Feb 22, 14 at 1:01 am
Old Feb 22, 14, 12:55 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I just tried to book at the Sheraton Waikiki for February 2015 and the only room that is loaded on spg.com is a suite. I called spg and they said that they can't do anything. I called the hotel and they said that they don't expect to load the standard rooms for a few weeks "after the category change."

Sheesh. That stinks!
Agreed . Personally there is no way in hell I would waste 20K points a night on this place when you can go next door to the much nicer, quieter Royal Hawaiian property. I think as others have already said here, this category change is going to bite Sheraton Waikiki in the butt . It is overpriced in revenue and points IMHO. I often find SW is more expensive than the RH (thankfully for me, it means I book the RH).

I was pleased to see that sense has prevailed and the Four Points in Sydney is going back down to category four (should never have made it to Cat 5 in the first place). Means more affordable C&P options in Sydney (for MRs) .
Old Feb 22, 14, 4:21 am

I previously booked a Cat 6 for 20K points nitely for April; but hotel will drop to Cat 5 in March. Shouldn't the points requirement drop lower after March for my April stay? I checked but points requirement stayed the same. Do they only change the points requirement on March 4th?
Old Feb 22, 14, 4:58 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by qdmd View Post
I previously booked a Cat 6 for 20K points nitely for April; but hotel will drop to Cat 5 in March. Shouldn't the points requirement drop lower after March for my April stay? I checked but points requirement stayed the same. Do they only change the points requirement on March 4th?
You have to rebook after change.
Old Feb 22, 14, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

I am guessing that you and clublounger aren't planning a stay at the Sheraton Waikiki in February 2015?
Nope. I'll be at the Moana the month prior. The rate I book hasn't been loaded yet, though. It usually gets loaded around early to mid December. And it goes up each year. Oh, well…….
Old Feb 22, 14, 10:29 am

What's this about the Westin being sold?

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb View Post
The St. Regis Roma as a cat. 7 is crazy and also not. The Eden is gone and if the Westin Excelsior will be sold also this year it will be the last 5 star spg hotel in town...

I did an online search and couldn't find anything about the Westin Excelsior being sold.

Is this rumor, conjecture or planned?
Old Feb 22, 14, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Downunder girl View Post
I think as others have already said here, this category change is going to bite Sheraton Waikiki in the butt
They'll get more revenue and fewer award stays. How is that gong to hurt them?

Why does that matter? Whether we are or not, the world will not end for anyone because of an increase in funny money.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: