2K Bonus Points - APAC [Asia Pacific] Promo

 
Old Feb 20, 14, 3:21 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
Posts: 308
2K Bonus Points - APAC [Asia Pacific] Promo

Who drafted the initial T&C? It is now completely different from previous T&C.

I am a velocity member but how can they check? If my points do not post, am I going to get the excuse 'you must be a velocity member'
Where can I input that information?
And I already have 12 nights booked now the bonus is going to cut in half... :'(
yucci18 is offline  
Old Feb 20, 14, 7:07 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Posts: 786
Question

old t&c
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:

■Bonus Starpoint offer valid only at participating hotels and resorts in Asia Pacific. To view a list of participating properties, visit http://www.spg-asiapacific.com/veloc...icipating.html.
■Bonus Starpoint Offer is valid for eligible stays booked between February 17, 2014 and March 31, 2014 and completed between February 17, 2014 and May 17, 2014.
■A minimum stay of two eligible nights is required to qualify.
■2000 Starpoints per two (2) eligible nights will be credited to the members account within 4-6 weeks following the close of the promotion. A member can earn up to 6000 Starpoints per stay as a maximum.
■To participate in this Bonus Starpoint offer, Velocity members must register online at www.spg.com/velocity by March 31, 2014 and be a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Program. If Velocity member is not a member of the SPG Program, a free membership may be obtained at www.spg.com.
■An eligible stay is defined as two or more consecutive nights paying a qualifying rate in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur and post to the members Starwood Preferred Guest account.
■A qualifying rate is any rate that is eligible to earn Starpoints in the Starwood Preferred Guest program as defined in the SPG Terms & Conditions.
■Starpoints earned in the SPG program can then be transferred to valid Velocity accounts at the exchange rate of 1 Starpoint = 1 Velocity Point. Member will receive 5,000 bonus Velocity Points for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred to Velocity. Once Starpoints have been transferred to Velocity Program Frequent Flyer, they cannot be returned to the Starwood Preferred Guest account.
■All promotions are subject to the Starwood Preferred Guest program terms and conditions, which are subject to change without notice, and can be found at SPG.com.
■Offer not applicable to groups.
■Not to be combined with other offers or promotions.
■Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors unless otherwise provided under applicable laws to the contrary.
■Void where prohibited by law.
■Subject to applicable laws, Starwood reserves the right to modify or discontinue this offer at any time.
■Starpoints, SPG, Preferred Guest, Sheraton, Four Points, W Hotels, Aloft, Le Meridien, The Luxury Collection, Element, Westin, St. Regis and their respective logos are the trademarks of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., or its affiliates.
■To earn and redeem Velocity Points you must be a member. Velocity membership and Points earn and redemption are subject to the Member Terms and Conditions available at www.velocityfrequentflyer.com, as amended from time to time.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/02/17/s...k-by-march-31/
nongsom is offline  
Old Feb 20, 14, 8:44 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Posts: 710
This time I am actually on the side of SPG, as they did clearly say "Velocity members must register online".

So Lurker III indeed gave further clarity on this issue, to affirm that the terms and conditions will be upheld. Do not shoot the innocent messenger. @:-) Christina has been doing a good job, and this clarification ensures there is no confusion on what is required as per T&C. (You MUST be a Velocity member.)

(However, how they are going to execute the verification process is another matter, given your Velocity number is not entered during the registration process - and also I am unsure if SPG currently has anyway to verify if your Velocity number is a valid one, and since you can opt NOT to transfer your Starwood points to Velocity - appears to be a loophole here. )

So there, you can try to game it, but if SPG manages to call your bluff (and indeed verifies your Velocity membership with Velocity - or in some other way like requesting documentary proof), then it was a risk that eventually did not pay off. (Or you can just get a real Velocity membership - and that is another challenge if you are not based in the Oceania... but I am sure Velocity will have an even harder time to verify your residential address. )

And I must say that this is quite a good promotion, despite the caps on earnings (it is an easy earn - just 2 nights!) and extra clauses - so you can decide if it worth the effort to get the fine print rules sorted out, or just take a gamble. You would rather have the opportunity to earn extra points if you are already planning to stay with Starwood in APAC region, then having no promotion, given that there is already an ongoing promotion globally on the 5 nights to get 2500 points(bring on the nights). Just manage the fine print clauses if you want to be absolutely sure.



Originally Posted by nongsom View Post
old t&c
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:

■Bonus Starpoint offer valid only at participating hotels and resorts in Asia Pacific. To view a list of participating properties, visit http://www.spg-asiapacific.com/veloc...icipating.html.
■Bonus Starpoint Offer is valid for eligible stays booked between February 17, 2014 and March 31, 2014 and completed between February 17, 2014 and May 17, 2014.
■A minimum stay of two eligible nights is required to qualify.
■2000 Starpoints per two (2) eligible nights will be credited to the members account within 4-6 weeks following the close of the promotion. A member can earn up to 6000 Starpoints per stay as a maximum.
■To participate in this Bonus Starpoint offer, Velocity members must register online at www.spg.com/velocity by March 31, 2014 and be a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Program. If Velocity member is not a member of the SPG Program, a free membership may be obtained at www.spg.com.
■An eligible stay is defined as two or more consecutive nights paying a qualifying rate in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur and post to the members Starwood Preferred Guest account.
■A qualifying rate is any rate that is eligible to earn Starpoints in the Starwood Preferred Guest program as defined in the SPG Terms & Conditions.
■Starpoints earned in the SPG program can then be transferred to valid Velocity accounts at the exchange rate of 1 Starpoint = 1 Velocity Point. Member will receive 5,000 bonus Velocity Points for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred to Velocity. Once Starpoints have been transferred to Velocity Program Frequent Flyer, they cannot be returned to the Starwood Preferred Guest account.
■All promotions are subject to the Starwood Preferred Guest program terms and conditions, which are subject to change without notice, and can be found at SPG.com.
■Offer not applicable to groups.
■Not to be combined with other offers or promotions.
■Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors unless otherwise provided under applicable laws to the contrary.
■Void where prohibited by law.
■Subject to applicable laws, Starwood reserves the right to modify or discontinue this offer at any time.
■Starpoints, SPG, Preferred Guest, Sheraton, Four Points, W Hotels, Aloft, Le Meridien, The Luxury Collection, Element, Westin, St. Regis and their respective logos are the trademarks of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., or its affiliates.
■To earn and redeem Velocity Points you must be a member. Velocity membership and Points earn and redemption are subject to the Member Terms and Conditions available at www.velocityfrequentflyer.com, as amended from time to time.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/02/17/s...k-by-march-31/
ZenWorld is offline  
Old Feb 20, 14, 9:43 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Posts: 786
Wink

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker III View Post
Dear members,

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread.

Please see below for the answers to your inquiries.

Q: Are spg members not members of Velocity Frequent Flyer program eligible for this promotion?
A: SPG members will have to be Velocity members to participate in this promotion.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
IMO

Christina tell us about this point in T&C

To earn and redeem Velocity Points you must be a member. Velocity membership and Points earn and redemption are subject to the Member Terms and Conditions available at www.velocityfrequentflyer.com, as amended from time to time.

If anyone didn't want to transfer *point to velocity they didn't need velocity membership
nongsom is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 12:14 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: australia
Posts: 5,512
Originally Posted by ZenWorld View Post

And I must say that this is quite a good promotion, despite the caps on earnings (it is an easy earn - just 2 nights!) and extra clauses - so you can decide if it worth the effort to get the fine print rules sorted out, or just take a gamble. You would rather have the opportunity to earn extra points if you are already planning to stay with Starwood in APAC region, then having no promotion, given that there is already an ongoing promotion globally on the 5 nights to get 2500 points(bring on the nights). Just manage the fine print clauses if you want to be absolutely sure.

Its a very poor promotion when compared to the one that I registered for which had a maximum benefit of 90000 points compared to the promotion that you feel is quite good that has a maximum benefit of 6000 points.

What I find most objectionable is a post saying We have changed the terms and conditions of this promotion and you can check the new terms on this link. No apology that SPG had made a major stuff-up in the initial Ts&Cs of the promotion, no recognition that based on the original Ts&Cs some members may have made travel plans/bookings that now put them at a financial disadvantage.
Really poor form in my book.
3544quebec is online now  
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:45 am
  #66  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 17,263
I just went through the registration process and got:

Thank you for registering.

Earn 2,000 bonus Starpoints on all eligible 2 night stays at any Starwood hotel or resort in Asia Pacific when you book by 31 March 2014.

You can also enjoy discounts in restaurants and bars at participating Starwood hotels and resorts in Australia.

Terms and conditions apply.
Bolding mine
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 14, 6:36 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Posts: 3,644
It seems the link that is supposed to tell us what discount we will get on the dining options at the hotels is broken, it takes you to the individual hotel dining page of restaurants but does not list anything about the discounts available, despite saying this:

"Percentage discount varies by participating restaurant and bar. Please visit http://www.spg-asiapacific.com/veloc...ating-fnb.html to see applicable discount for each participating restaurant and bar."

So could you please tell us what the actual discounts will be for each restaurant or fix the link above please?

I am a bit disappointed, I literally just finished a 2 night stay at a qualifying property on the 16 Feb and I am a legitimate Velocity member and this is announced a day later .

I have other stays coming up during the promo period but they are all one nighters and I am not likely to be able to change that. I am hopeful I can still make the food discount work in my favour.
Downunder girl is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 2:44 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Nomad
Programs: AA MM EP, DL Plt, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott AMB/LTT, HH Gld, National Exec, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,071
Changing the terms from a maximum bonus of 6,000 per stay and no total promotion maximum to a 6,000-point maximum during the promotion period is ridiculous. And I've been a Velocity member since the program launched in 2005 and had no applicable reservations made before the promotion period, so the "positive" changes don't help me at all. I'd like the promotion terms that were in effect when I registered for the promotion honored, SPG.
merrickdb is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 3:39 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Posts: 2,431
Original T & C's, copied from Loyalty Lobby: (bolding and sizing mine)

"Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:

Bonus Starpoint offer valid only at participating hotels and resorts in Asia Pacific. To view a list of participating properties, visit http://www.spg-asiapacific.com/veloc...icipating.html.
Bonus Starpoint Offer is valid for eligible stays booked between February 17, 2014 and March 31, 2014 and completed between February 17, 2014 and May 17, 2014.
A minimum stay of two eligible nights is required to qualify.
2000 Starpoints per two (2) eligible nights will be credited to the
member’s account within 4-6 weeks following the close of the promotion. A member can earn up to 6000 Starpoints per stay as a maximum.
To participate in this Bonus Starpoint offer, Velocity members must register online at www.spg.com/velocity by March 31, 2014 and be a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest (“SPG”) Program. If Velocity member is not a member of the SPG Program, a free membership may be obtained at www.spg.com.
An eligible stay is defined as two or more consecutive nights paying a qualifying rate in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur and post to the member’s Starwood Preferred Guest account.
A qualifying rate is any rate that is eligible to earn Starpoints in the Starwood Preferred Guest program as defined in the SPG Terms & Conditions.
Starpoints earned in the SPG program can then be transferred to valid Velocity accounts at the exchange rate of 1 Starpoint = 1 Velocity Point. Member will receive 5,000 bonus Velocity Points for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred to Velocity. Once Starpoints have been transferred to Velocity Program Frequent Flyer, they cannot be returned to the Starwood Preferred Guest account.
All promotions are subject to the Starwood Preferred Guest program terms and conditions, which are subject to change without notice, and can be found at SPG.com.
Offer not applicable to groups.
Not to be combined with other offers or promotions.
Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors unless otherwise provided under applicable laws to the contrary.
Void where prohibited by law.
Subject to applicable laws, Starwood reserves the right to modify or discontinue this offer at any time.
Starpoints, SPG, Preferred Guest, Sheraton, Four Points, W Hotels, Aloft, Le Meridien, The Luxury Collection, Element, Westin, St. Regis and their respective logos are the trademarks of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., or its affiliates.
To earn and redeem Velocity Points you must be a member. Velocity membership and Points earn and redemption are subject to the Member Terms and Conditions available at www.velocityfrequentflyer.com, as amended from time to time."



Give it up, peeps. I registered too, and could benefit with original T&C's. But, now I can't. That's the way it goes.
clublounger is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 7:59 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by ZenWorld View Post
This time I am actually on the side of SPG, as they did clearly say "Velocity members must register online".
That makes sense for velocity members without an SPG account, otherwise there would be no way for them to take part.

Nowhere do the new T&Cs (clearly) say that existing SPG members need to be velocity members. Hoping for some confirmation from one of the lurkers on this.
ConfusedInJapan is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 10:10 am
  #71  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan View Post
...Nowhere do the new T&Cs (clearly) say that existing SPG members need to be velocity members. Hoping for some confirmation from one of the lurkers on this.
Didn't she already do this?


Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 9:28 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jakarta
Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Posts: 409
In all my years with spg, this is one of the MOST disappointing promo. At first it seems really exciting, 2000 point per 2 nights, max 6000 PER STAY. Then all the changes. Oh well. Shame on you Spg!

But after 12 consecutive years as plat, I'm still loyal to this program.
SC Alum is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 1:50 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Asia
Posts: 1,274
So I'm happy to report that I received points under this offer. I registered on 17 Feb but I'm not a Velocity member. My stays were booked in Jan 2014.

My SPG account shows I received 2000 points under two seperate items labeled "VIRGIN AUSTRALIA 2000 (LVA)" for a total of 4,000 points.

I just completed a four night stay, this past weekend, in Asia which I had two rooms booked. So far only points and night credits have posted for just one room. I'm guessing this is the reason I received a total of 4,000 points under this promo.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the other room posts to my account if I only get 2,000 points to cap me at the 6,000 max points under the new changed T&C's or if I will get the extra 2,000 points to give me 8,000total points which would indicate the points are not capped as per the orginal T&C's.

I will report back as soon as my other room posts to my account so we know if points are capped at 6,000 or not.
kmcbrid2 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 2:32 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: SPG Plat
Posts: 784
2K Bonus Points - APAC [Asia Pacific] Promo

how would SPG know that I am a velocity member? I did not authorize SPG or Velocity to share my information with third parties so if they somehow knew, I would be concerned about my privacy rights
rooivalk is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 6:30 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans/South Korea
Programs: SPG Plat97, AA PLT, Delta SM
Posts: 177
So I'm happy to report that I received points under this offer. I registered on 17 Feb but I'm not a Velocity member. My stays were booked in Jan 2014.
Awesome to hear that.
luna6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread