Stuck in the hotel elevator

Old Feb 13, 14, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Stuck in the hotel elevator

I was traveling in Europe and stayed in a Sheraton hotel with two friends about three weeks ago. We had some drinks in the hotel lounge and close to mid night, when we took the elevator to go to our rooms, the elevator was broken and stopped in the middle. We called security and explained the situation. They sent some technician and managed to save us out about 40 minutes later.
Then next morning when I checked out, the front desk asked me how the stay was, I told her that everything was fine except that my friends and I got stuck in elevator the night before for 40 minutes. She said that was horrible, and "I will report to the manager we will do something for you". I asked what they will do, and she replied "we will compensate you with some points". I thanked her and gave her my SPG number and the room numbers of my friends.
Now, 3 weeks past, and I didn't see anything in my account and neither did my friends.

Shall I contact the hotel about this? Shall I directly ask the hotel for some compensation? I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Old Feb 13, 14, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Yes you should contact the hotel.

Once.

If they don't come through with what they promised, then send all the details to SPG to follow up. This will cost the hotel and by then they will have deserved the charges.
Old Feb 13, 14, 12:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jjj0002 View Post
Shall I contact the hotel about this? Shall I directly ask the hotel for some compensation? I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
That's what I would do. Send the hotel a note, remind them of the incident, the conversation with the agent at checkout and her promise of "some points" for all of you trapped in the elevator.

I will say though, that I've been promised points by SPG properties a small number of times and it was not unusual for it to take several weeks for them to reach my account. So don't be surprised if the answer is that they are in the works. But I'd still send the inquiry while it is still relatively fresh in their minds.
Old Feb 13, 14, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
That's what I would do. Send the hotel a nice [not angry or demanding] note, remind them of the incident, the conversation with the agent at checkout and her promise of "some points" for all of you trapped in the elevator.
I would recommend that the tone be something along the lines of I appreciate your kind offer and, not having heard from you, I just wanted to make sure that this hasn't been lost in the shuffle. Attract more flies with honey, etc.
Old Feb 13, 14, 5:10 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
To me, this is a 100 point per minute offense.
Old Feb 13, 14, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
was once stuck in an elevator at an embassy suites for 3 hours....the hotel comped my stay....
Old Feb 13, 14, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jjj0002 View Post
I was traveling in Europe and stayed in a Sheraton hotel with two friends about three weeks ago. We had some drinks in the hotel lounge and close to mid night, when we took the elevator to go to our rooms, the elevator was broken and stopped in the middle. We called security and explained the situation. They sent some technician and managed to save us out about 40 minutes later.
Then next morning when I checked out, the front desk asked me how the stay was, I told her that everything was fine except that my friends and I got stuck in elevator the night before for 40 minutes. She said that was horrible, and "I will report to the manager we will do something for you". I asked what they will do, and she replied "we will compensate you with some points". I thanked her and gave her my SPG number and the room numbers of my friends.
Now, 3 weeks past, and I didn't see anything in my account and neither did my friends.

Is this a Sheraton in Sochi?
Old Feb 13, 14, 9:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by puchalskir View Post
Is this a Sheraton in Sochi?
No. OP said the property had an elevator, even if it didn't work!!
Old Feb 13, 14, 9:19 am

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Last year I was stuck in a W lift for 10 minutes. All that bling bling and music is nice for a minute, but not 10. I can't imagine 40 or 3h!

What really got me is it took about 2 minutes for anyone to answer the alarm phone - W(ow)!
Old Feb 13, 14, 9:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
Last year I was stuck in a W lift for 10 minutes. All that bling bling and music is nice for a minute, but not 10. I can't imagine 40 or 3h!

What really got me is it took about 2 minutes for anyone to answer the alarm phone - W(ow)!
I'm sure "the talent" would say "WHATEVER!". Don't you know how lucky you were to be stuck in their ultra cool "lifts" with their even ultra cooler sounds?
Old Feb 13, 14, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
I have found from experience that, assuming that you have your cell phone with you, you will get much more responsive service from the hotel if you call 911 when you're stuck in the elevator. A fire truck, ambulance and police rushing up to the front door with sirens and flashing lights is a guaranteed way for you to get the attention of hotel management very quickly.

Same thing happened at my condo when I smelled gas once. Called the gas company; they said that they'd be there within a couple of hours. Called the fire department. They came right over with sniffing equipment which confirmed the gas smell. Then they called the gas company. Took the gas company exactly 7 minutes to arrive after the call from the fire department.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Feb 13, 14 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 13, 14, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I have found from experience that, assuming that you have your cell phone with you, you will get much more responsive service from the hotel if you call 911 when you're stuck in the elevator. A fire truck, ambulance and police rushing up to the front door with sirens and flashing lights is a guaranteed way for you to get the attention of hotel management very quickly.

Same thing happened at my condo when I smelled gas once. Called the gas company; they said that they'd be there within a couple of hours. Called the fire department. They came right over with sniffing equipment which confirmed the gas smell. Then they called the gas company. Took the gas company exactly 7 minutes to arrive after the call from the fire department.
100% agree!
Old Feb 17, 14, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Thank you all for the responses. I took the advice and tried to send an email to the hotel (it is Sheraton Frankfurt airport hotel). I found an email address from the hotel homepage ('[email protected]'), and sent an emial out to explain the situation.

But, this email was not deliverable! I got an automatic response that "The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now".

Can someone please suggest where I can find an alternative email address?

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 14, 1:22 am

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Try sending to another address, also listed on the website. Add a full stop between the words sales and frankfurt.
Old Feb 17, 14, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
I recommending calling the number listed on the homepage and asking the operator to speak to the front desk - then tell the front desk you want to raise a complaint and would like the appropriate email address.

Alternatively, ask the operator to speak directly to the duty manager, who should hopefully give you their own email address. This sometimes doesn't work as the operator will tell you they're not available.

If you do speak to someone, get their name and reference it in your mail - this may elicit a quicker response.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: