Wiki Posts
Search

Cash&Points availability way down

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cash&Points availability way down

After failing to book a Cash&Points stay for the third time this year it appears availability has been eliminated/severely reduced at many properties.

I just checked LAX: From now thru middle of April the four properties around LAX do not show a single room for a FR-SU (2 night) weekend stay!

What's going on?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cesco.g
After failing to book a Cash&Points stay for the third time this year it appears availability has been eliminated/severely reduced at many properties.

I just checked LAX: From now thru middle of April the four properties around LAX do not show a single room for a FR-SU (2 night) weekend stay!

What's going on?
I myself have not had a problem booking Cash & Points, but I think its a REAL stretch to claim or suggest it's been eliminated.

Granted I tend to book within two or three weeks of my travel date.

Have you tried contact CCS?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I myself have not had a problem booking Cash & Points, but I think its a REAL stretch to claim or suggest it's been eliminated.
Glad you're still able to book according to your needs.
Just checked another property in Dallas, where I used C&P the last two years the week before Easter: nothing available this year!

Please note, that I stated eliminated / (=and/or) SEVERELY REDUCED. Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:58 am

All my C&P bookings in Canada this year have worked out perfectly. Like KENNECTED, my bookings are usually a few weeks out, not months.

Cheers,
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
With last year's changes, C&P is no longer worthwhile anyway. The value proposition is no better than straight points.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With last year's changes, C&P is no longer worthwhile anyway. The value proposition is no better than straight points.
I've found the value at the Toronto Sheraton Centre to be pretty good this winter. I've saved a couple hundred bucks in cash each time.

Cheers,
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:17 am

I agree that with the changes to C&P last year the value proposition has decreased, but I still find value in C&P bookings because I have a lot of SPG points and prefer to save cash (not always the best use of SPG points...).

As to the availability of C&P, I am glad to see others are finding availability. I on the other hand have had very bad luck. Compared to a year or two ago, I feel the availability has decreased (based on hotels/locations that I want, which obviously isn't what everyone else is looking for). Now if I find C&P options (which doesn't happen a lot) for a city, it is usually one property out of many properties.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DougDons
I still find value in C&P bookings because I have a lot of SPG points and prefer to save cash (not always the best use of SPG points...).
Don't those two things add up to using straight points? Spending cash by booking C&P doesn't jibe with saving cash.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
+1. Let the OP come back and tell us how many of Starwood's 1100+ properties and over what date range he checked before offering his generalization.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
My experience as well, but moot point because:

Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Glad you're still able to book according to your needs.
Just checked another property in Dallas, where I used C&P the last two years the week before Easter: nothing available this year!

Please note, that I stated eliminated / (=and/or) SEVERELY REDUCED. Thanks.
I'm know what you wrote, I only took issues with the "eliminated" portion of your statement.

Have you contacted the hotel or CCS to see if the hotel has loaded rates?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just curious what are the changes to C&P that make it less attractive? I was able to book 3 nights at the Sheraton Waikiki with C&P at a reasonable rate. Granted I'm new to this SPG thing so maybe I don't know what's reasonable and what's not. Rooms were available for straight points too but starpoints are somewhat at a premium for me (not a biz traveler) so wanted to do the combo.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just curious what are the changes to C&P that make it less attractive?
Devalued 25% last year (i.e. C&P redemption rates were increased). You can read all about it in the "enhancement" thread.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by cactuspete
Devalued 25% last year (i.e. C&P redemption rates were increased).
On both the points and cash portions.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
+1. Let the OP come back and tell us how many of Starwood's 1100+ properties and over what date range he checked before offering his generalization.
I've been checking weekend rates in palm springs routinely over the past several years for occasional quick getaways and cash+points were frequently available in the past. This year there is none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.