Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Hotels not offering a double occupancy room for standard SPG Points redemption availability (but do make single occupancy rooms available). Please feel free to add/edit/amend. Cheers, JK

LOI = Last Offered In (last known date a double room was offered on points)
NOS = Not Offered Since (when it came to your attention that only single occupancy rooms are available for standard redemptions)

The Netherlands:
  • The Pulitzer, Amsterdam [LOI - Dec 2013; NOS - Feb 2014]
  • Hotel Des Indes, The Hague [LOI - Dec 2013; NOS - Feb 2014]
NOTE: Double-occupancy rooms at the Hotel Pulitzer are now available for standard award bookings (confirmed 2/27). As of 3/5/14, the Hotel Des Indes allows double-occupancy rooms for standard award bookings.

An important caveat:
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
One thing to bear in mind is that the single occupancy standard rooms remain on the standard awards at these properties, and probably a few more that have not been mentioned, so if the double occupancy rooms are taken, it will leave only single occupancy rooms showing as available for redemption.
Print Wikipost

Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I don't remember posting the result of our inquiry yet.
Splitting hairs. The posts in this thread speak for themself.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:37 pm

I just don't read the fine print, I assumed I could book any points room and it would accomodate a family of 4.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cactuspete
Splitting hairs. The posts in this thread speak for themself.
Wrong use of an expression.

Chill.

I'd rather hear SL speak, once he gets his answers, than letting "the posts in this thread speak for themself".
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by sbanders
I just don't read the fine print, I assumed I could book any points room and it would accomodate a family of 4.
For most of N America, that's probably a fair assumption, but know that myriad local laws and fire codes across the planet in more than a few places actually prohibit a family of four from sharing a standard room. In the US, that may seem mind-blowing, but in many other places (Italy chief among them), four persons in a hotel room can be a very real challenge.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The award is good - based on the choice of the guest - for single or double occupancy.
The only way you can come to that conclusion is using principles of U.S. contract law, which may or may not apply. I don't know if other jurisdictions have the same principles regarding ambiguous contract clauses.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by clublounger
Wrong use of an expression.

Chill.

I'd rather hear SL speak, once he gets his answers, than letting "the posts in this thread speak for themself".
No.

Likewise. Gotta love those defending the snarky company reps.

Then we are to ignore the posts in this thread? How do you determine which to ignore and which to rely upon?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
No.
Thank goodness for the ignore button.

"Snarky" does not accurately describe the company reps on this site. Please apologize.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
How do you determine which to ignore and which to rely upon?
Ignore the posts from members who overreact, jump to conclusions without data, and otherwise have no knowledge of the internals of SPG. Rely on the posts from the lurkers.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:53 am

+1
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Ignore the posts from members who overreact, jump to conclusions without data, and otherwise have no knowledge of the internals of SPG. Rely on the posts from the lurkers.
Cheers,
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Thank goodness for the ignore button.

"Snarky" does not accurately describe the company reps on this site. Please apologize.
Indeed. Our *wood Lurkers are amazing.

Cheers,
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended

I think that most loyal SPG members here are reading it as being available for double occupancy or there would be no need for me to follow up, right?
I don't remember posting the result of our inquiry yet. Why don't we wait until that comes back before we call something unreasonable? For all you know at the moment, SPG could be in agreement that the room needs to be double occupancy.
Snarky. IMO. YMMV.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Rely on the posts from the lurkers.
Like this one?:

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker III
The hotel is allowed to set single standard room occupancy.

According to the terms and conditions, "Free Night Awards are each valid for one free night, single and/or double standard room occupancy at participating properties, and include the cost of your hotel room and room tax/service charge".
or this one?:

I don't remember posting the result of our inquiry yet. Why don't we wait until that comes back before we call something unreasonable?

Last edited by cactuspete; Feb 12, 2014 at 2:01 pm Reason: snarky has nothing to do with whether you agree with the substance of the comment
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:49 pm

Snarky. IMO. YMMV.
Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't make them snarky.

Like this one?
Until we have more information, yes. I don't like it any more than anyone else here (maybe more because I never travel alone), but it is what it is.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
It seems to be taking an awful long time for someone to come back with definitive clarification of Starwoods own T&C's.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It seems to be taking an awful long time for someone to come back with definitive clarification of Starwoods own T&C's.
36 hours is not an "awful long time" for anything as official as clarification. If they haven't come back with an answer by the end of the week, which I'm sure won't be the case, feel free to throw that comment back into the ring. As of now, it hasn't been that long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.