Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Hotels not offering a double occupancy room for standard SPG Points redemption availability (but do make single occupancy rooms available). Please feel free to add/edit/amend. Cheers, JK

LOI = Last Offered In (last known date a double room was offered on points)
NOS = Not Offered Since (when it came to your attention that only single occupancy rooms are available for standard redemptions)

The Netherlands:
  • The Pulitzer, Amsterdam [LOI - Dec 2013; NOS - Feb 2014]
  • Hotel Des Indes, The Hague [LOI - Dec 2013; NOS - Feb 2014]
NOTE: Double-occupancy rooms at the Hotel Pulitzer are now available for standard award bookings (confirmed 2/27). As of 3/5/14, the Hotel Des Indes allows double-occupancy rooms for standard award bookings.

An important caveat:
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
One thing to bear in mind is that the single occupancy standard rooms remain on the standard awards at these properties, and probably a few more that have not been mentioned, so if the double occupancy rooms are taken, it will leave only single occupancy rooms showing as available for redemption.
Print Wikipost

Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Sorry but being an avid SPG fan this makes me chuckle. We all look for loop holes to get cheap points, tickets, rooms whatever however when the table is turned we find out how much it hurts. Shoe on the other foot and all that.

Now before I get shot down I am not saying I agree with this policy but..............
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jibi
36 hours is not an "awful long time" for anything as official as clarification.
This one should be a no-brainer.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cactuspete
This one should be a no-brainer.
Even if it is a no-brainer it still needs to get elevated to someone who can make that call. Then you need to figure out what the hotel is actually doing and have some interaction with them. Otherwise you get an answer here that double is required but no explanation of how to get the hotels to do that and you'll complain about that.

My experience is that the Lurkers here are very engaged, quite willing to go to bat for people, and very responsive. If you want to ridicule company reps go visit some of the other forums - like the UA one where the UA Insider these days seems to cherry pick issues to follow up on while ignoring almost all the serious ones and who despite visiting the forum more than daily may actually post once a week if that and even then generally with generic PR type answers. Be thankful that Starwood actually seems to care about real interaction here.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
We have to keep in mind that Starwood is not really a chain of hotels. It is an intermediary between hotel users and hotel owners that through its brands gives the false impression of being a chain of hotels. Being an intermediary requires a very delicate balancing act. Starwood must please both sides, and the most powerful side is the hotel owners simply because their power base is divided between far fewer players. For this reason it would not be surprising if Starwood adopts the interpretation of T&Cs that favors the hotel owners’ side. But we will just have to wait and see.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I wonder how many levels of management they'll have to go through to get approval for whatever they want to use as the new wording in the T&C.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by jibi
36 hours is not an "awful long time" for anything as official as clarification.
Particularly given that there's a six hour time difference (and thus only a 2h overlap in working hours) between Starwood HQ and the hotels being discussed.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pdx1M
My experience is that the Lurkers here are very engaged, quite willing to go to bat for people, and very responsive. If you want to ridicule company reps go visit some of the other forums - like the UA one where the UA Insider these days seems to cherry pick issues to follow up on while ignoring almost all the serious ones and who despite visiting the forum more than daily may actually post once a week if that and even then generally with generic PR type answers. Be thankful that Starwood actually seems to care about real interaction here.
A huge +1 for this - quite the difference between the SPG and UA forums. Here, we have engaged & responsive Lurkers ^
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ajnaro
We have to keep in mind that Starwood is not really a chain of hotels. It is an intermediary between hotel users and hotel owners that through its brands gives the false impression of being a chain of hotels. Being an intermediary requires a very delicate balancing act. Starwood must please both sides, and the most powerful side is the hotel owners simply because their power base is divided between far fewer players. For this reason it would not be surprising if Starwood adopts the interpretation of T&Cs that favors the hotel owners’ side. But we will just have to wait and see.
That sort of behaviour has consequences. Starwood is effectively a franchise company. For Franchisors to be successful they must maintain the integrity and appeal of their brand. Giving too much weight to the needs of the Franchisees over those of end customers erodes the brand and adversely impacts customer affinity. Hilton is the recent comparable obvious example of this. Hilton effectively made their loyalty scheme practically worthless (or at the very least extremely random and arbitrary) when it followed a similar path.

Without strong customer loyalty and brand affinity the Franchisor brings little to the franchise agreement.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:16 am

Thumbs down same rules being used for C&P - no availability for anything more than 1 person

It seems that the same set of rules have been applied to C&P stays at Des Indes. There is availability for 1 person but nothing as soon as the occupancy gets changed to 2 people. Lurkers???
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
It seems that the same set of rules have been applied to C&P stays at Des Indes. There is availability for 1 person but nothing as soon as the occupancy gets changed to 2 people. Lurkers???
This looks very bad...... if my points end up only being able to be used for single occupancy rooms, it'll become completely worthless to me. how many people travel alone on award stays?!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Whoa, there!! We can go through all sorts of theoretical scenarios in which our points are worth less to us, including the premature end of the world. But before we spend too much time conjuring them up, let's give William a chance to get back to us. The problem may be more complicated than we, as outsiders, think. To my knowledge, he's never failed to get us an answer, though some may take longer to obtain than others. So let's try to have a little faith and patience. I'm sure that he'll let us know when he has something substantive for us.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A huge +1 for this - quite the difference between the SPG and UA forums. Here, we have engaged & responsive Lurkers ^
+100
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Sorry but being an avid SPG fan this makes me chuckle. We all look for loop holes to get cheap points, tickets, rooms whatever however when the table is turned we find out how much it hurts. Shoe on the other foot and all that.
Loopholes? For the most part, the hotel programs are more straightforward than the airlines with fewer loopholes or end-arounds to accrue large amounts of points with no effort. There's no equivalent to the airline "mileage run" to rack huge numbers of miles at low cost: the hotel "mattress run" tends to be limited to qualifying for status. On the credit card side, Amex is one brand that *won't* allowed unlimited churning: if you want to earn points that way, you need to actually use the card.

In other words, I get Starpoints either by effectively buying them from Amex or by staying in the hotels. No loopholes.

Therefore, if I felt a hotel was using a loophole in the rules to exploit me, I'd be pretty irritated. Although to be fair, I do not feel that Starwood has done this to me during my membership years, and I'm hopeful that this 1-person room situation at a few hotels will get rectified soon.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The only way you can come to that conclusion is using principles of U.S. contract law, which may or may not apply. I don't know if other jurisdictions have the same principles regarding ambiguous contract clauses.
Given that I am more familiar with other jurisdictions outside the US I cannot comprehend how you can believe that the only way I can come to that conclusion is using principles of U.S. contract law. There are several other ways to come to this conclusion and they do not have anything to do with the United States. For me, this is a matter of plain English language.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
For me, this is a matter of plain English language.
The English is completely ambiguous. I believe you are letting your own personal feelings on the matter interfere. It can easily be interpreted either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.