FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Stag Do Ideas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1546497-stag-do-ideas.html)

JK Jan 29, 2014 8:41 am

Stag Do Ideas

Hello all,

Need to pick your collective brains for suggestions on where to host a stag-do. The current suggestion is Dubrovnik, which is a beautiful city, and I've been a few times. However, it doesn't have a Starwood hotel, and the SPG fiend in me would like to suggest somewhere else!

Anyone have any ideas of where else might be suitable, that does have a Starwood property?

My sense is that folks want to keep it relatively cheap, and within Europe (possibly as far out as Turkey depending on cost of flights).

Any ideas of a cool place to go, where drinks are reasonably priced, and a group of guys can have some fun? One idea mentioned for Dubrovnik was island hopping - so it's not just all about drinking, and doesn't need to be an Ibiza style place at all (drinking / clubs / bars). :p

Cheers,
JK

GVA Jan 29, 2014 9:06 am

Perhaps you could try Split if you really want to do Croatia.

Otherwise you have the usual suspects: Amsterdam, Prague, Malta, Berlin, Greece.

JK Jan 29, 2014 9:11 am

I'm not hellbent on Croatia, but I did already mention Split! :)

Malta does sound interesting/different though! I'll look into that. Thanks GVA!

TRAVELSIG Jan 29, 2014 9:38 am

Originally Posted by JK (Post 22245553)
Any ideas of a cool place to go, where drinks are reasonably priced, and a group of guys can have some fun?

I am not sure what kind of fun you want to have however the regular "stag" cities and circuits I think are a little dull and/or sleazy. Also for example a lot of nicer bars in the centre of Prague now specifically have a sign in English only which says "NO STAGS".

Some nice places you may want to consider that are not the same usual suspects and are all easy flights from London and all have SPG:

Milan or Rome or Venezia in Italy?

Istanbul if you decide on Turkey?

Vienna?

Malta?

Dubrovnik is very nice and I like it a lot although I would be more inclined to head there and nearby Hvar for a honeymoon than a stag party.

JK Jan 29, 2014 9:56 am

You're on my page TRAVELSIG - I absolutely want to avoid the sleazier types of places. Frankly speaking, I like a drink - but I don't let getting absolutely smashed, nor do I like it when others in party become this way, and become a liability to those more sensible. :)

I once went on a stag which was just 4 days of drinking... From dawn til dusk... Sounds like fun on paper, but well, it's not for me. And I'm a bit older now than I was then, haha!

I love all of the places you've mentioned above, Istanbul being the one that pique's my curiosity the most! I'll do some research, and test my persuasion powers on the others thereafter! :)

Thanks again!

KENNECTED Jan 29, 2014 10:01 am

Hello all,

Need to pick your collective brains for suggestions on where to host a stag-do. The current suggestion is Dubrovnik, which is a beautiful city, and I've been a few times. However, it doesn't have a Starwood hotel, and the SPG fiend in me would like to suggest somewhere else!

Anyone have any ideas of where else might be suitable, that does have a Starwood property?

My sense is that folks want to keep it relatively cheap, and within Europe (possibly as far out as Turkey depending on cost of flights).

Any ideas of a cool place to go, where drinks are reasonably priced, and a group of guys can have some fun? One idea mentioned for Dubrovnik was island hopping - so it's not just all about drinking, and doesn't need to be an Ibiza style place at all (drinking / clubs / bars). :p

Cheers,
JK

In order to get the most ideas, have you visited any of the following forums:
  1. Trip Reports
  2. Destinations

Although, you're looking for a Starwood property, you may see ideas from a larger audience.

JK Jan 29, 2014 10:07 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 22246135)
In order to get the most ideas, have you visited any of the following forums:
  1. Trip Reports
  2. Destinations

Although, you're looking for a Starwood property, you may see ideas from a larger audience.

I haven't (yet), but I will. From experience though, I just find it rather time consuming to try and obtain and immediately helpful information from those forums, unless I have a specific question I want answered. For this kind of question, I've had better luck asking for personal input (as the responses from GVA and TRAVELSIG have proved). But thanks, I'll certainly check them out!

Regarding looking for non-Starwood, it's the only reason I'm getting involved. :) If it's going to be a non-Starwood, I no longer care, and may as well let them continue with the Dubrovnik plan, haha!

[Disclaimer: My priority is the enjoyment of the stag for himself and others on the trip, so I wouldn't jeoparside that by taking everyone somewhere unsuitable - but I do believe there is room to fit SPG into these plans without doing so! Often, I can also make things cheaper, so everyone wins :D]

RafKa Jan 29, 2014 10:27 am

How about Barcelona? I organized a friend's stag-do a couple of years ago and we all stayed at the W. It was the perfect mix of beach, nightlife, and (some) culture and you don't feel like you're stuck in a resort-type location. Rates fluctuate a lot week by week at the W, and you may find a good deal.

Does it have to be a beach destination?

Other ideas in SPG cities would be Berlin, or even Stuttgart (Mercedes & Porsche Museum, Bundesliga football match, but crap nightlife).

Casablanca for something different.

JK Jan 29, 2014 10:52 am

I would love Barcelona, but my fear is the others would think it's too expensive. The W Barca that weekend is €256 per night - fine for me, but not everyone I guess. And no, it needn't be a beach stag, I don't think.

I was looking at the W Istanbul, which I can get for €170. If some of them will share rooms, that may be much more palatable!

Though the nightlife isn't for me, I'm sure it is for the others, so it's got to be somewhere with places to go (exactly like Barca). On paper, the W Istanbul is starting to look really good. However, I've never been there, so don't know what else there is to do around the hotel (will do some research). Going to look into Casablanca too - the pics on spg.com look good at least! :)

Thanks for the suggestions all!

forumpersona999 Jan 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Hello all,

Cheers,
JK

I was going to say Le Meridien Bangkok but if you need it to be in Europe, Budapest is the place to do a stag party.

Interesting city, reasonable prices, insane parties and the LM there treated me well (over 5 years ago, YMMV) https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=1861

YouGeeElWhy Jan 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Jesus do not go to Istanbul for your Stag. If you can avoid SPG the go somewhere like Belgrade or Kiev (wait maybe that is not a good idea right now) or Antalya.

MSPeconomist Jan 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Bodrum in Turkey? No Starwoods AFAIK but it's a beach resort with an old castle by the sea, windmills, and a museum devoted to the home of some Turkist singing star who seems to have been rather flamboyant. There's a huge and noisy club but also some pleasant quiet places to drink in sidewalk cafes and hotel bars.

supatight80 Jan 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by JK (Post 22246458)
I would love Barcelona, but my fear is the others would think it's too expensive. The W Barca that weekend is €256 per night - fine for me, but not everyone I guess. And no, it needn't be a beach stag, I don't think.

I was looking at the W Istanbul, which I can get for €170. If some of them will share rooms, that may be much more palatable!

Though the nightlife isn't for me, I'm sure it is for the others, so it's got to be somewhere with places to go (exactly like Barca). On paper, the W Istanbul is starting to look really good. However, I've never been there, so don't know what else there is to do around the hotel (will do some research). Going to look into Casablanca too - the pics on spg.com look good at least! :)

Thanks for the suggestions all!

You can go as low as 120 euros plus tax on W Istanbul on spg escapes...But whatever savings you get from hotel price will offset the ridiculously expensive alcohol prices within the city. Vodka orange at a regular club is 40 lira or 20$. Moet is 350$ US per bottle at W Istanbul....compare that with W barcelona of 160 euros or grande bretagne athens at 110 euros...If you guys will be drinking in IST in general, prepare to have a big budget.

Skybar/eclipse lounge at W bcn is more fun imho. But if you really want to go to IST, W istanbul is in besiktas area which is close to taksim nightlife or maslak. Once again, pricey drinks in general.

mikeyyz Jan 29, 2014 11:40 pm

+1 for Malta, cheap and fun - great views of the water! The Le Meridien also has a great pool area, one of the best of any SPG hotel I've been to.

JK Jan 30, 2014 2:41 am

Thanks guys - appreciate all the responses! It sounds like IST is off the list then... :)

Malta is now looking good, and BUD! I've stayed at the LM Budapest countless times, but never considered it for a stag - fantastic idea!

I have this weird personal goal, that I try to visit 4 new countries per year. Malta would at least help me knock one of those off! Haha! (Portugal and Qatar will be 2 others...)

I'm collating all the above info and submitting it to the others! Thanks again, really appreciate this.