Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton vs Hilton CDG as Gold in both programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:25 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have an overnight at CDG with an early flight the next morning to ATH.

I would use program points for either stay.

I have always been treated well at the Hilton...often upgraded to Exec floor w/snacks and free Wi-Fi. I have never stayed as a gold at a *wood hotel.

My problem is I can't get over how convenient the Sheraton is at this location.

As a gold, using points ( 12K) what might, if anything, I can expect from a one night stay at the Sheraton other then convenience?

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
As a gold here I got a nice room (not on the club floor) with free internet as my benefit. As a plat I have always gotten a club floor room. The rooms are almost identical but lounge access I receive as a plat is nice (snacks/wine/breakfast etc.). The hotel is incredibly convenient, just above the CDG train station and for me not too far from the AF Schengen flights I take. Depending on your airline it may be quite a hike.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:41 am
Suspended

Not aware of the pros/cons relating to the actual properties around CDG.

I'll say this...

I prefer *wood properties (SPG is my loyalty program of choice).

BUT, you'll get treated MUCH better as a HH Gold than a *wood Gold. Free breakfast, free internet, lounge access, etc.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
I like the Sheraton CDG and it is in a great location and in general I find status all else equal to be much more valuable at Starwood than Hilton (I'm Plat on SPG, Diamond at Hilton). I don't know the specific Hilton property well enough to compare.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
If you're not flying in business class or otherwise don't have lounge access, you might consider the Hilton for free breakfast benefit, though it depends on how early your flight is, I guess...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i have stayed at both properties & wouldn't hesitate to go back to either if i have to overnight in cdg....as a gold, you will get better value at the hilton....but i would pick the sheraton in this instance based solely on the convenience of location....
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
If you're not flying in business class or otherwise don't have lounge access, you might consider the Hilton for free breakfast benefit, though it depends on how early your flight is, I guess...
We are flying business class and our flight is very early... 7AM... so we wouldn't be able to take advantage of free breakfast. Maybe evening lounge drinks since our arrival the day before is mid-afternoon.

Another factor...the Hilton was 40K points...pretty useless points EXCEPT for these kind of stays. The Sheraton would be 12K points which are much more valuable as they transfer to FF programs.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by david4455
We are flying business class and our flight is very early... 7AM... so we wouldn't be able to take advantage of free breakfast. Maybe evening lounge drinks since our arrival the day before is mid-afternoon.

Another factor...the Hilton was 40K points...pretty useless points EXCEPT for these kind of stays. The Sheraton would be 12K points which are much more valuable as they transfer to FF programs.
go with hilton then....i find their points pretty worthless now....
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Sheraton's location is valuable only if your flight departs from Terminal 2: AF and most of SkyTeam plus some other carriers. If you need to change to Terminal 1 or elsewhere at CDG, other hotels can be at least as well located, although I don't know the current details of transportation around CDG; it's complicated.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Sheraton's location is valuable only if your flight departs from Terminal 2: AF and most of SkyTeam plus some other carriers. If you need to change to Terminal 1 or elsewhere at CDG, other hotels can be at least as well located, although I don't know the current details of transportation around CDG; it's complicated.
While not too critical to our decision I found out that the Hilton shuttle has limited hours. It doesn't start running until 6AM. So in our case we would need to walk over to the CDGVAL station ( as suggested in an earlier post) to get to the terminal as our flight is early AM. I understand it is just a few minute walk and we travel light.

The other factor that someone mentioned was that if we want to step out of the hotel for some air ( neither of us feel like we will have the energy to actually go into Paris proper) ....if I remember the Hilton sort of stands alone ( surrounded by parking lots?) and we could walk around a bit. The Sheraton we would be limited to the terminal.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: all
sheraton location is better..
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Both hotels are good. The rooms at the Sheraton are on the small side, I find the Hilton room to be larger and brighter. The Sheraton overall feeling is more luxurious. I think the food spread in the lounge was a notch better at the Hilton. Sometimes there is a fair difference in price between the Hilton and Sheraton (the Sheraton is typically always more expensive) so I end up in both pretty much the same number of time. Nothing beats the Sheraton location but the Hilton CDG is a very solid alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.