Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG website, master record and App don't match... check your account...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat

I generally don't track my SPG activity as I usually qualify for PLT easily. But this year I'm close and I wanted to make sure I re-qualified for my 12th year running as a Platinum.

I check my "stats" on SPG.com and saw that I had 23 stays and 46 nights to date (this is on the home page when you log in - left side). I wanted to make sure all my recent stays had been credited so navigated into the details of the "past stays" at SPG.com and it only showed 13 stays in the list (missing many in the past six months). I then checked my SPG app on my iPhone and it showed that I have 19 stays (when i count them up). What the heck, I thought???

To resolve this, I called my SPG concierge who sent me my "master file" where I was able to count up 26 stays (with 2 possible duplicates). When I emailed [email protected] to ask about the discrepancies I was told I have 17 stays with 31 nights. What the H*LL is going on??? To add insult to injury. I was informed I'd need to fax my folios for each stay over the past year to SPG to get credit.

This appears to be a significant software issue or the SPG database has been corrupted or compromised. I'd recommend everyone look into their own accounts to verify if they are accurate. Starwood needs to get their crap together as their own systems don't match. If my account is representative of others, the situation at SPG is FUBAR and someone needs to look into it quickly.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I just checked and the points shown on my app is about 600 more than what's online. What is more interesting is when I check the App's recent account activity it showed my green choice award. After I click View All, that entry is no longer there. When I Xed out and checked the previous page again, it also disappeared.

At the end, they both have the same set of recent activities but different total points balance.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
OP, you may be on to something here.

My stats on the spg home page lists 26 stays. But I only have 25 stays listed on the recent activity section of the app (didn't count the nights). Oddly enough, the overview current stats in the app had "Stays this year: 26" On the past stays section of my spg account on the website, there were only 17 stays but it only went as far back as mid-March 2013 when my first credited stay of 2013 (based on the recent activity section of the app and the website account) was in January.

Looking a bit more closely at the recent activity section of the account on the spg website, I noticed one duplicate entry which may be why the spg home page counter says 26 stays but the app says 25.

Rather disturbing, more so being close to the end of the year and all.

Last edited by dannybhoy; Dec 7, 2013 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 7, 2013, 7:29 pm

Just checked. Mine's bang on; SPG website and ap exactly the same & correct.

Cheers,
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I also have this issue, but with the number of points. My opening balance +/- stays/rewards during 2013 doesn't balance using the website or the spreadsheet emailed to me by the concierge. *wood didn't seem fussed at all when I flagged this a couple months ago, telling me that they had confidence the totals were correct.

Very frustrating.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
Same points in App and Website here. I had to kill and restart the iPhone app though, in order to have both in sync. Also, both are correct - at least in terms of nights where both show 50 for this year which is all I need ;-)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Coming from a software/database background myself, the fact that there are errors in my account and others leads me to belief the system is corrupt (bugs/compromised). I hope *wood will look into this as the software/system is only as good as those who created it.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I went through this h*ell a few years ago with my SPG account and my lifetime totals are still lower than what I have actually stayed . My SPG monthly emails at the time showed that I had more stays than I did actually have, but I trusted this info and thought I had qualified for Plat. I then got downgraded in March the following year and thought what the heck has happened. I had not kept every single folio so I couldnt prove my case to Starwood's satisfaction. Needless to say, it did not end well and was not in my favour. After many emails back and forth trying to solve the issue, I just gave up because Starwood would not budge so I vowed not to bother chasing Plat for the following year and I cancelled every extra stay I had and just stuck with the bare minimum of 10 stays for Gold and I continue to remain at Gold and have put stays elsewhere with other hotel chains that meet my needs in other cities. I am sure Starwood really couldnt care less as a large company, to them I am a drop in the ocean .

When I think about it now, I still feel sorely ripped off and annoyed but I have just tried to move on and chalk it up to experience of DO NOT TRUST the counts on the SPG site because they are NOT accurate. I manually keep track of all my stays and of course its much easier now as I only need 10 not 25! I also keep every single folio so if anything goes wrong again, I have proof.

BTW Starwood know about this and have known about it for years, there are other threads reporting similar issues in the past. I have no idea why they have NOT fixed it but it seems its not high on their list of priorities.

Last edited by Downunder girl; Dec 9, 2013 at 2:45 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I watch my account for errors periodically. In addition, if I'm going to be close, I do my own account audit close to the end of the year to ascertain that there are no errors in my favor that could later cause my status to be downgraded. I also try to avoid just exactly qualifying for a status that matters to me.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I watch my account for errors periodically. In addition, if I'm going to be close, I do my own account audit close to the end of the year to ascertain that there are no errors in my favor that could later cause my status to be downgraded. I also try to avoid just exactly qualifying for a status that matters to me.
Probably a good way to do it. I just hit my 25th stay last week so I won't complain to hard but the funny thing is that when I sent my questions to research@*wood.com, they ignored them and came up with three uncredited stays that show they are credited on the master record... perhaps the IQ requirements for a "researcher" have dropped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.