Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Room upgrade fee on paid nights earns point or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S

Hi

I just returned from Bali, and my nights were paid nights.

Upon checking-in, the hotel offered to upgrade me to a villa. Since the price difference is huge, the hotel offered a discount because of my SPG gold status.

I understand on reward nights, upgrade fees don't count because of the ineligible room fare. But these were paid nights, and I pay on top of that for the upgrade.

Will these upgrade fees earn me extra points? They are described as "upgrade fees" on the bill.

Thanks Guys!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
....Will these upgrade fees earn me extra points? They are described as "upgrade fees" on the bill.

Thanks Guys!
Logically, it should. Yet my experience is no.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Hi

I just returned from Bali, and my nights were paid nights.

Upon checking-in, the hotel offered to upgrade me to a villa. Since the price difference is huge, the hotel offered a discount because of my SPG gold status.

I understand on reward nights, upgrade fees don't count because of the ineligible room fare. But these were paid nights, and I pay on top of that for the upgrade.

Will these upgrade fees earn me extra points? They are described as "upgrade fees" on the bill.

Thanks Guys!
Look at the T&C and see if these are considered "eligible charges"? This is considered a fee, therefore not eligible for starpoints.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Look at the T&C and see if these are considered "eligible charges"? This is considered a fee, therefore not eligible for starpoints.
Yes, this falls into the same category as resort fees, parking fees, elevator fees... All do not earn points and allows the property to low-ball the actual cost of staying there.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
I send a claim to SPG, and the claim was directed to the accounting department in Bali resort. The result came back and I got all I requested.
Regarding the fees, I remembered I got points for parking fees. Don't remember whether Internet is a fee, but I did earn points for Internet.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:54 pm

I send a claim to SPG, and the claim was directed to the accounting department in Bali resort. The result came back and I got all I requested.
Regarding the fees, I remembered I got points for parking fees. Don't remember whether Internet is a fee, but I did earn points for Internet.
Sometimes we get more than we are entitled. One of the reasons I don't stomp my feet if I come up short the odd time. I find is all averages out over time.

Cheers,
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Flews
Sometimes we get more than we are entitled. One of the reasons I don't stomp my feet if I come up short the odd time. I find is all averages out over time.

Cheers,
Now lets hope his account is not subject to an audit!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flews

Cheers,
Agreed thanks!

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Now lets hope his account is not subject to an audit!
Hope I won't. But basically this is SPG's decision and SPG's property's accounting department's decision to adjust the points I earn. When the front desk upsold me, they didn't mentions this part would be considered fees and not subject to point earning. If SPG is going to fight over a couple thousands of points with a customer who did nothing wrong in the whole process, I have nothing else to say.

The rate is like a prepaid, and I got two bills in the end. Maybe a reason why the point earning is wrongly calculated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.