Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Hotel email: [email protected]

MRT:
  • Shenton Way (TE19) -- note, the Exit Directory lists exit 3 for the Westin, but exit 4 will pop you out right by the front door.
  • Downtown (DT17) -- exit E
See post #492 for current welcome letter detailing benefits and lounge hours.
Print Wikipost

Westin Singapore [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by horizontal
I think the location depends on what you're after. The Westin is great for visiting the Marina Bay area (including Gardens by the Bay & Marina Bay Sands), financial district and Chinatown area.

The Sheraton and StR are near Orchard Road. StR is in my view better located at one end of Orchard Road and near the Botanic Gardens. Orchard Towers is right around the corner which may be a minus to some. Sheraton is closer to public transport (Newton MRT), but not near much of note itself (apart from Newton Hawker Centre, which is a terribly overpriced tourist trap and best avoided unless you have a local friend who can help you navigate it). Again, not very useful since you'll probably take a cab; I've found it slightly easier to get cabs at the StR than the other two.

Upgrades vary - some plats have reported zero upgrades at all three. I've yet to be upgraded at the StR and haven't stayed at the Sheraton since becoming plat. At the Westin I've had an executive room but not a suite. But on average the rooms are much nicer at the Westin and StR than at the Sheraton, whether you're upgraded or not.

Lounge breakfast is better at the Westin than at the Sheraton. Both are fairly limited, but the Westin's lounge is nicer, newer, and has better food both in terms of quality and quantity. Both pale in comparison to breakfast at StR, which in my experience plats get free at StR even without giving up the 500 points. On the strength of this point alone I'd go for the StR if the price is about the same to
Thanks so much Horizontal - we actually completed our visit to Singapore and stayed at the Sheraton, fortunate to get a Dublin suite upgrade. All your assessment and feedback above as to locale is accurate.

I would also like to say that Uber in Singapore is very efficient and we used that service a lot in addition to Taxis
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:55 am

As a contrary data point to up-thread suggestions about striking out with platinum upgrades, I received a nice upgrade on a Deluxe room reservation to what I believe is a Sea Harbor View Suite. I believe there are only 11 of these rooms, so the hotel does provide platinum upgrades when available.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Yep, I have also received one suite upgrade at the Westin out of my five visits. The suite was for a 2 night stay, I normally just get upgraded to an exec room.

The suite at the Westin was nice but not a patch on the suite at the St Regis. IMO the suites at the sheraton are not at all nice, the cabana is the better upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:09 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I am so sorry to see that beautiful pool view blocked by the tower.

It was one of the nicest features of the property on my last visit a few years back.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Westin Singapore: Great stay marred by unwelcome parking surprise

The Westin Singapore

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

The Westin Singapore

12 Marina View Asia Square Tower 2 Singapore, SG 018961

Great stay marred by unwelcome parking surprise (2 Photos)

The Westin Singapore

My family and I stayed here in two rooms over the National Day public holiday to catch the parade held nearby.

Check In

We checked in very early (around 10am), and were pleasantly surprised that the rooms were already ready. There was a short wait at the gold & platinum line to check-in, and I noticed the couple ahead of us had also been given their rooms early.

The view from the lobby was of the harbor/port area - I thought it was pretty good (it helped we were there on a clear day). Probably representative of the views from about half of the rooms.IMG_6142.JPG

Room

I had made an advance request for rooms which would be able to see the parade and fireworks, and had been advised the view would be partially blocked by other buildings. Nonetheless, we were allocated the best possible rooms for a view of the proceedings, being the corner room closest to the bay area on an SPG level and the room immediately adjacent (photo below for reference). The rooms themselves were fairly standard deluxe rooms (no suite upgrade despite Platinum status), but given that none were available and we had expressly requested the view this was entirely acceptable. The hotel has aged well thus far, and rooms were in good condition with the standard set of Heavenly Bed and Westin toiletries (though the shower leaked slightly, making the bathroom floor wet). IMG_6139.JPG

Dining

Room service was prompt, food quality was good, and prices were reasonable (for a Singapore hotel). We had a burger, fish and chips, hor fun (flat noodles), and the truffle pasta. This came up to something like S$120. Food was served within 30-40 mins, and came with all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a full service hotel. The lounge was unwilling to switch its television to show the parade (even on mute), so ordering dinner into the room enabled us to fully enjoy the location of the room during the parade; we had an especially good view of the aerial display (the Westin was close to the flight path of the F-15s, Apache gunships and Chinook). As evening fell we were able to catch the fireworks from the room as well, which was wonderful (restricted view notwithstanding). 

Facilities

Facilities (apart from the car park - more on that later) were generally good; the pool is of limited size but the view of the bay and coast area make up for it. It was more suitable for play than serious swimming, and perhaps due to the holiday there were a higher than usual number of families and young children present (including my own). I used the executive lounge and a meeting room for a few work calls and hotel staff were helpful and prompt in rendering assistance. 

Overall

What would have easily been a 4-5 star stay (made great by a fantastic parade-watching experience) was marred, however, by the unwelcome surprise that the hotel did not and could not offer complimentary parking on weekdays. (As an aside: major hotels in Singapore typically offer this as a standard amenity to hotel guests.) While the hotel staff were apologetic, they said this was out of their control as the car park was not owned by the hotel. This meant that we ultimately paid (for 2 cars) $128 in parking fees after we checked out the day after. While the review writing guidelines ask that we refrain from mentioning the specific price paid, the additional car parking fees were a significant part of the total cost of our stay. 

In conclusion: would have been a great stay if we had decided not to drive. The hotel website should at minimum indicate the car park rates (it currently mentions 'carpark charges apply', but the unwary might find that these are heftier than they had planned on!) It would also be good to clearly state that no complimentary parking is provided outside of public holidays and weekends.

Great stay marred by unwelcome parking surprise

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Singapore?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I never presume that something is free or included unless the property expressly says so. In your case, the property's website expressly lists a parking charge. It took me about 30 seconds to find it.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=3624
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Often1
I never presume that something is free or included unless the property expressly says so. In your case, the property's website expressly lists a parking charge. It took me about 30 seconds to find it.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...ropertyID=3624
Yes, I state that this is the case in my review, and add that I think it would only be fair for the hotel to explain what those rates are (which they fail to on their website). However, I also state that the norm in Singapore is that hotels provide guests with complimentary parking. Every Singapore hotel I have stayed in has done so in the past. They also frequently host events (e.g. weddings, meetings) where tickets providing complimentary parking are given out.

Internationally, if a hotel does not provide complimentary parking in my experience it is fairly common to have clear instructions on how to obtain discounted parking if available. To be fair, at check-out (when it was too late to obtain this discounted parking) I was advised that I could have had valet parking for $20 and avoided paying the daily rate. (As an aside, this does not align with the hotel website, which states valet parking is over and above the regular parking charges). Whether that is true or not, the information was presented too late to be of any use.

So I think it's fair to say it was an unpleasant surprise that the parking rate was so high - to put it in perspective an average room rate is around S$300/night, so our parking charges were 20% of that. I thought it was fair and appropriate to flag this as fair warning.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
To be fair I´m always surprised in a city-hotel if parking is free. In Europe in 5-star Hotels 30 € seems to be the norm today, but I paid much more.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
To be fair I´m always surprised in a city-hotel if parking is free. In Europe in 5-star Hotels 30 € seems to be the norm today, but I paid much more.
yeah, I guess I can consider it a learning point...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Any recent stay reports as platinum?

I have an upcoming stay around this christmas at a very irresistible rate of 293.32++ SGD/night (3 adults). Trying to choose between this hotel and the newly opened Andaz (476++ SGD/night for an Andaz Suite king with 3 adults)

I do really want to try the Andaz but it is a newly opened hotel so im not sure it will be a flawless stay and deserve the premium price over westin.

Any thought?

Thank you
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident

I have an upcoming stay around this christmas at a very irresistible rate of 293.32++ SGD/night (3 adults). Trying to choose between this hotel and the newly opened Andaz (476++ SGD/night for an Andaz Suite king with 3 adults)

I do really want to try the Andaz but it is a newly opened hotel so im not sure it will be a flawless stay and deserve the premium price over westin.

Any thought?

Thank you
Location, location, location: what do you plan to do in Singapore?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
why is this a question?

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Why is this even a question??

As a PLAT, you will definitely be upgraded to a suite @ The Westin. The upgrade gets you extra comfort for 3 adults. Why are you even considering spending 2/x to stay elsewhere?

IF you really want to spend more $$$, stay @ the St. R.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Antonio8069

As a PLAT, you will definitely be upgraded to a suite @ The Westin. The upgrade gets you extra comfort for 3 adults. Why are you even considering spending 2/x to stay elsewhere?

To me, St. Regis SIN is not my taste. Stayed there once and not impressed.

I just love the Andaz, want to try something new and utilize my last year as a hyatt diamond (globalist member).

Location to me, doesn't matter. I travel to SIN quite offen and did most of touristry things. This time would be just a mattress run because cheap airfare from bangkok.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Antonio8069

The one and only time I stayed at this hotel, I didn't get a suite. I was alone, so didn't bother asking if they were sold out.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Yeah, would not count on a suite. I think I've been here three times, never received a suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.