Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

St Regis Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Centurion is not SPG nor is booking via the other site. SPG plat benefits are completely different which is what is understood on this site as most here are referring to plat rather than Amex benefits.

It is great that you are trying to be helpful but you actually need to write what the actually benefits are for plat SPG ( or define differently) and know he reality of st Regis currently in order to be useful. You have also been wrong on kids pass as well as for shorter people to center island. Yet you rudely keep sayin I am wrong over and over. You can agree or disagree w my characterization of a small pool versus what you think is ample size... but you are wrong that SPG plat gets food credit and that kids pass can be used at Westin.
It's called stacking and I wrote about it above in my experience at this hotel. You get both FHR and SPG benefits at this and every other St. Regis. And I was not wrong about the kids pass. It existed when I was there. But reports say that it no longer exists.

And if you take the time to read and comprehend, you may note that I never, EVER said that SPG plats get food credit. I wrote about Amex FHR Cents and Plats getting the F&B credit. It should not be that difficult to understand as it has been written about by many people in this thread. Including today. I think you are just having trouble comprehending this. Maybe English is not your first language. I know I have trouble sometimes in other languages too, but when I am on a foreign language website I don't assume that I know more about the language than native speakers or try to correct them.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
how does this compare with Four Seasons? we will be there for 4 nights in october with 7 and 9 year old daughters. Loved the Four seasons last time (garden room, cheapest but still good) which seems to be about the same as pool suite at St Regis..
Old May 28, 2017, 3:36 pm

I asked the question earlier but didn't really recieve a response? Maybe that is telling me something already! LOL.
Never stayed at a St. Regis before and we are booked into the Westin next door for a week. For once I would like to try the St. Regis out - not a place that we would generally stay for sure as the price point is just too high for our liking.
We are thinking about it but just not sure if it would be worth it - maybe on another part of the island but it is right next door? I'm sure the Westin is clean and comfortable and obviously more casual for our liking but do you think it is worth it for us to change hotels and experience the St. Regis?
We enjoy the finer things sometimes but almost feel we might not feel comfortable there? I guess I just don't know what to expect?
My one question was about the butler service - Based on the significant difference in costs just for the rooms itself (and yes I understand if we don't want to eat every meal there we can also walk over the Westin ) .. how much does a person tip the butler on a daily basis or when we leave? Is that normal as I honestly have no idea?
Any feedback / guidance would be appreciated - or should we just stay at the Westin and save a ton of money!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by morepointsplease
how does this compare with Four Seasons? we will be there for 4 nights in october with 7 and 9 year old daughters. Loved the Four seasons last time (garden room, cheapest but still good) which seems to be about the same as pool suite at St Regis..
curious as well. thinking of a beachside holiday somewhere in Malaysia ... backup is YTL's Pangkor Laut.

any idea how Four Season Langkawi , St Regis and Pangkor Laut would compare ?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by wantan
curious as well. thinking of a beachside holiday somewhere in Malaysia ... backup is YTL's Pangkor Laut.

any idea how Four Season Langkawi , St Regis and Pangkor Laut would compare ?
I have not been to Pangkor Laut so can't compare.

Any reason why you're not considering the Datai? I far preferred the Datai over the St Regis. Beach, suites and service are much better at the Datai.

Be aware that the entry level rooms at the Datai are a bit dated. I would certainly recommend the beach villa with pool, proper butler service and lots of extra's included (as opposed to the StR where I didn't even see the butler).

Pro's for the StR: you might be able to upgrade a cheaper entry level room with a SNA. But they are stingy on upgrades (we had booked 1 pool suite that was not further upgraded and 1 entry level room that was upgraded to a standard suite with a SNA). Breakfast is nice! In terms of budget the StR might be a better deal for Plats but that would not incite me to go back. I would return to the Datai.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:41 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Any further updates on how things are going with this hotel?

Looking at a six night stay in a pool suite during Oct. Any improvements to the man made beach/lagoon? The trip adviser reviews appear to be a lot more positive, but that is often an unreliable source.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Looks like they no longer provide Bentley service, can someone confirm that? Also, according to their website, "Luxury" Airport transfers are only complimentary for guests of Panoramic Suites, Penthouse Suites, the Presidential Suite, Sunset Villas, and the Sunset Royal Villa.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just completed a 3 night stay here (after spending 4 nights at The Andaman). At check-in, we were welcomed by the Director of Rooms as well as the Executive Chef who spent at least 10-15 mins chatting with us. Wow! Both came from the Ritz Carlton. The hotel is gorgeous and would fit in well as a luxury hotel anywhere in California. The lobby and hallways were all air-conditioned. However, when I go to a tropical island, I like an open air lobby and hallways so this hotel is just not for me. (I loved the St Regis Bali and The Andaman however.)

We were upgraded to a pool suite which had a beautiful garden, but no privacy as all the rooms on 2nd and 3rd floor could look into our courtyard.

Like everyone has mentioned, the beach is the biggest disappointment. I prefer to swim in an ocean over a pool any day, but the water was cloudy and the mud on the beach was simply too off-putting. I didn’t see anyone in the ocean at either the St Regis or the Westin next door.

I liked the breakfast at L’Orangerie. I made a comment to the restaurant manager that the olive oil/herb dressing was in a container where it was impossible to get anything but the top layer of oil out (wide bottom with narrow neck). Next day the dressing was in a bowl! The vegetarian signage was also confusing. It was a black and white sign with a little carrot on it. I thought it was strange that a chicken dish also had a carrot on it, but finally realized it was a chili pepper. They can look very similar on black/white signage! We mentioned that as well, but apparently this is a brand standard.

I found the staff everywhere to be super friendly and welcoming. Yes, there were a few missteps but some of it is due to language barrier so not a big deal.

Happy hour is from 4-5 at the pool bar (buy one, get one free) and also at 9:30-11:00 I think. Since we didn’t like these hours, we wandered over to the Westin where the happy hour was from 5:30-8:30 at Breeze Lounge (also BOGO). Cocktails were significantly cheaper at the Westin. 65 MYR at the St Regis vs 29 MYR at the Westin, plus Breeze Lounge gives Plats 20% off even on the BOGO price (that works out to US$2.75 for a mojito during happy hour)!

The St Regis Bar which someone reported had free drinks as a Platinum benefit was closed during our stay, so not sure if that is still offered.

Overall, a lovely stay, but for my preferences, I’ll take the Andaman any day.
Beano HK and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I forgot to post a picture of the canvas relaxing areas to watch the sunset from the Kayaputi lounge. We didn't use them, but they looked pretty cool. They were first come, first served.
Attached Images  
Beano HK likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G, SPG Plat, HH Gold
No more Taittinger?

Currently at the St. Regis, sad to see that the Taittinger for breakfast has gone (and was replaced by Arthur Metz Cremant, retail around 10$ a bottle).
Or am I missing something here?

Otherwise very nice resort and breakfast, also found the food at L'Orangerie ok.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:17 am

any recent reports?
ARLT likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Plat Elite, Hertz 5*
I visited in February 2017 (yes, sometime ago now, but very soon after the St. Regis had opened). Actually, we stayed in the Westin Langkawi for a week in February. I got an amazing deal - paid about Ł85 per night including breakfast, so was already very pleased. The Westin is a great resort. Fantastic swimming pool with a pool bar. The real plus was that the St. Regis was just down the beach from the Westin. We used many of their facilities (bars, restaurants, beach, swimming pools, etc.) for the week without question. Unless you really wish to specifically stay in the St. Regis' much more expensive rooms, I would suggest staying at the Westin instead and simply using the facilities.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Not to be rude but this is a reason why STR not good - they should not allow Westin guests to use the pools, beach chairs etc. the pool already puny and seating limited.

Str guests are allowed to use Westin facilities but not other way around and sTR should police this better as rates so so so much higher. Paying facilities like dinner are anther matter.
EuropeanPete and atlocal like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Plat Elite, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Not to be rude but this is a reason why STR not good - they should not allow Westin guests to use the pools, beach chairs etc. the pool already puny and seating limited.

Str guests are allowed to use Westin facilities but not other way around and sTR should police this better as rates so so so much higher. Paying facilities like dinner are anther matter.
I agree with you. If St. Regis were to do that, I would still recommend the Westin over the St. Regis though. The swimming pool at the Westin Langkawi is far superior to the St. Regis and the other St. Regis facilities are no better than those offered by the Westin. As for the restaurants, Kayu Puti with the seating over the water is excellent and worth a visit if staying at the Westin.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I AGREE w you depending on Westin rate - we found str pool so bad for a kid that we spent many days at Westin’s pools... making us wonder what was the point of paying for str to sleeps aside from the breakfast which is excellent).

I wont even get into the beach as we haven’t been there in a little over a year and they said they would improve it. But I’m not sure how they will.

Is beach still a mud pit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.