Wiki Posts
Search

Worth 3-4 Paid Stays for Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist.
Worth 3-4 Paid Stays for Platinum?

I travel pretty extensively for business and almost always stay at SPG properties. This year, it looks like I'll end up about 3-4 stays away from Platinum.

For those with Platinum status, is it worth paying for 3-4 additional stays to hit it?

I'm based in San Francisco, so additional stays aren't super cheap -- but still doable.

For what it's worth, I'll also be getting married in December and traveling with my wife on several international trips while staying in SPG properties -- so the Platinum status may be worth it just for upgrades on those trips (Singapore, Paris, etc.).

Thanks for any input!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
3-4 nights or 3-4 stays?

My recommendation is to use Starpoints for weekend nights at nearby Starwood properties.
4 Points San Rafael and 4 Points Pleasanton weekend stays are 3000 pts/night.
If you need the stays, you could do either Friday or Saturday night once a week for the number of stays you need to get Plat.

Or you could pay cash - looks like Aloft Silicon Valley is $84 (prepaid rate) on weekends and Sheraton Pleasanton is $82 (AAA rate).

If you opt to go the paid route, don't forget that the SPG Take Two gets you an extra 2500 pts for each 5 eligible nights ... Cash&Points/Free nights don't count toward the promotion but do count toward nights/stays toward platinum. There are some nonparticipating hotels in Take Two - https://www.spgpromos.com/taketwo/?a...nparticipating

Is it worth it? Suite upgrades are nice. Lounge access is OK in the US. The lounge breakfasts are so-so in the US.
With the overseas travel, I'd say that it's worth it.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I would say it is worth it. Week-end rate at 4p San Raphael is cheap and it is quite close to San Francisco (but you have to pay Golden Gate toll to come back).
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:45 pm

yup, if your only 3-4 stays short its worth it based on your planned travel needs. 9-12k spg points seems like the way to go over 3-4 weekends and the qualifying plat gift alone could save you that much or more on a redemption, so go for it!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
you could apply for the spg amex cards if you don't already have them....each card gives you 2 stays & 5 nights credit towards qualification....
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Keyser
you could apply for the spg amex cards if you don't already have them....each card gives you 2 stays & 5 nights credit towards qualification....
I seem to recall that bonus (2 stays/5 nights credit) is put in every account with Starwood Amex at the end of Feb every year. I may be wrong (I've been wrong plenty of times in the past), but would advise the OP to verify whether or not such a credit will be awarded prior to the end of the year to your account.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I seem to recall that bonus (2 stays/5 nights credit) is put in every account with Starwood Amex at the end of Feb every year. I may be wrong (I've been wrong plenty of times in the past), but would advise the OP to verify whether or not such a credit will be awarded prior to the end of the year to your account.
i don't recall that but i can't be certain....as far as i remember the bonus is available no matter when you apply for the card....
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Just got the SPG Amex in August and the nights/stays showed in my SPG account pretty quick.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Absolutely

Originally Posted by rdelk
For what it's worth, I'll also be getting married in December and traveling with my wife on several international trips while staying in SPG properties -- so the Platinum status may be worth it just for upgrades on those trips (Singapore, Paris, etc.).
Absolutely go for it. The upgrades on international stays, especially traveling with your wife, will be worth more than your investment. You should be looking at current business trvavel pattern to maximize stays,
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist.
Awesome, thanks everyone.

I didn't realize that stays paid with points counted towards status, that's awesome.

I have the SPG Amex, and will likely burn either burn 12k - 16k points or just pay out of pocket over the next month or two around SF and qualify for platinum.

Thanks, all!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I didn't realize that stays paid with points counted towards status, that's awesome.

I have the SPG Amex, and will likely burn either burn 12k - 16k points or just pay out of pocket over the next month or two around SF and qualify for platinum.

Thanks, all!
Can you turn some of these stays into fun little weekend breaks, either in the city or maybe either along the coast or in wine country, even though these hotels are likely to be more expensive than pure mattress run candidates? Alternatively, perhaps you'll be able to use a pool/health club or free breakfast with your "stays"?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by iflyjetz

Thanks, all!
I believe that the Starwood Business Amex yields an additional 2 stays and 5 nights credit, above and beyond the 2 and 5 you get for the personal card. It's usually easy to get, as long as there is some semblance of a business you can attribute it to. I even use my own name as the name of the business, without any problem. Though in my case as an independent consultant my own name literally is the name of my business, but Starwood has never checked.) Plus it usually comes with a 25K bonus for signing up and initial spending.

Regardless, the Plat status is definitely worth it for the free breakfasts and likelihood of upgrades on overseas trips. Make sure to let the hotel know in advance that you're on your honeymoon.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: United
definitely worth it, some people pay thousands to reach the platinum status
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If you are travelling in Asia or Europe, definitely worth it.
If all your travels are in USA, I am not so sure.
Upgrades to suites much rarer in US, and lounge/breakfast offerings are meagre.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
The upgrades are uncertain but I wouldn't stop with only 3-4 nights to go in order to get the bonus points upon check-in and the free wifi, which are certain.

As someone else said, if your SPG stays are outside North America, Plats get far better treatment, which also make it worth your trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.