Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

(Member's proposal): 100K+ spend on SPG Amex = Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby

I know, I know, that many will scream "No !!"
But reality should win out: If you spend over 100K on an SPG card within a year you should be rewarded with Platinum status.

Flame-on!

Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you spent 50-100 nights/year earning your status you might feel differently.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Are you for real? What credit card spending has to do with status?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In a way, I'm surprised that some high spend level on the Amex doesn't award the base Plat status.

When Starwood partitioned out the various tiers of Plat, with the biggest benefits coming with high night totals (as opposed to stays), I semi-expected them to put the $40k or $50k per year threshold on the SPG Amex to get the base Plat tier.

No suite nights or other perks, but you'd occasionally get suites at places where high Plats are less common.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by SiberianTiger
Are you for real? What credit card spending has to do with status?
Yes, I am asking a serious question.
Spending of that level, ie if 30k = Gold, should be acknowledged.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Maybe you do have a point...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Way too low of a spend threshold.
Marriott Premier Visa would take $180K to reach Marriott Platinum.

I could see SPG Gold for $100K annual spend, but not even close to SPG Plat.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:26 pm

Having earned Plat, and lifetime Plat, the hard way, I oppose any and all shortcuts for others.

Cheers,
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Flews
Having earned Plat, and lifetime Plat, the hard way, I oppose any and all shortcuts for others.

Cheers,
How many of those nights were paid by your employer? If you didn't shell the money out of your own pocket, you earned it the easy way.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
How many of those nights were paid by your employer? If you didn't shell the money out of your own pocket, you earned it the easy way.
Good point. In my case though, even if you subtract all the employer or client reimbursed nights I've had over the years, I still would have earned Plat through my own spend alone.

So I remain opposed!

Cheers,
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flews
Good point. In my case though, even if you subtract all the employer or client reimbursed nights I've had over the years, I still would have earned Plat through my own spend alone.

So I remain opposed!

Cheers,
LOL! Awesome! I got Marriott LT Gold on my employer's dime.
I'm working on SPG LT Plat on my dime. It's definitely a lot easier to get status on someone else's dime.

And if SPG Plat status is so important, one can do mattress runs when they're a bit short. I've done more than a couple over the years to maintain status.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
By way of comparison Hilton gives Gold automatically with a Citibank Hilton Visa and Diamond with $40,000/yr in spend. My feeling is that status gets quite diluted when CC spend is included and we certainly don't need more Plats fighting for upgrades.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I could see SPG Gold for $100K annual spend, but not even close to SPG Plat.

SPG Gold is already given for $30,000 annual spend on the SPG Amex.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
I support the OP. Currently have top status in Hilton, Marriott, and IHG through credit card usage, and would love to see SPG (and Hyatt) have a comparable offering in their program.

Big credit card spenders don't stay as frequently in any of these chains as those who travel often, so it's doubtful that a significant amount of upgrade opportunities would be denied to those who earn their status from nights stayed. Simply put, a few of us have the ability to demonstrate a different form of loyalty to these chains, and that should be rewarded.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
By way of comparison Hilton gives Gold automatically with a Citibank Hilton Visa and Diamond with $40,000/yr in spend. My feeling is that status gets quite diluted when CC spend is included and we certainly don't need more Plats fighting for upgrades.
Hilton Diamond requires 20k Euro/yr. At least one card where the old world in n offer ahead. Hilton Gold comes for free with our card too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.