Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

British Airways promo: Convert 20,000 Starpoints Into 31,250 Avios

British Airways promo: Convert 20,000 Starpoints Into 31,250 Avios

 
Old Sep 15, 13, 10:29 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: UA/AA
Posts: 1,725
British Airways promo: Convert 20,000 Starpoints Into 31,250 Avios

20,000 Starpoints normally transfers into 25,000 airline miles.

With the additional 25% bonus you’ll get a total of 31,250 Avios.

British Air Promo includes the following participating hotel partners: Carlson Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, Intercontinental Hotel Group, Marriott, Shangri-La, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s&nocache=7734

HT: Dan's Deals
jaymar01 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 12:06 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 7,141
Hmm...Do I want more Avios vs AAdvantage miles?
nologic is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 4:09 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New York, NY USA
Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Posts: 439
Forget Avios

I feel for the people in the UK who are stuck with BA. These points are a pain to use and then they force you to pay the highest fees of any airline? Add the lack of customer service and constant cutbacks....I will leave my points with the American carriers....And THAT says a lot because they have no service either! But still no fuel surcharges....yet.

Safe travels!

NYC
NYCtraveler is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 4:26 am
  #4  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,423
It all depends on what you need. There are some sweet spots in the new BA Avios scheme. If you want a coach award on nonstop AA or AS flights in the US, Avios can be a great bargain. For example, if you find space on one of the nonstop AS flights from the west coast to Hawaii, the Avios coast will be less than any of the domestic carriers. We had a new FTer at a San Diego dinner last month. She had gotten 5 RT coach awards to Hawaii for her family using Avios on AS. I've redeemed Avios on connector flights in Australia (QF), Southern Africa (BA), and Japan (JAL) with great success. I even redeemed for CX F from HKG-LAX, where the number of Avios was higher with BA but the fee was lower than with AA. The key thing was that AA had no availability and BA did.

I wouldn't recommend anyone move SPG points unless they know the Avios program and have a specific award they are targeting with Avios. If all that is in place, then a 25% bonus is a very nice thing to get.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 5:49 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: All over
Programs: Most
Posts: 10,840
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
It all depends on what you need. There are some sweet spots in the new BA Avios scheme. If you want a coach award on nonstop AA or AS flights in the US, Avios can be a great bargain. For example, if you find space on one of the nonstop AS flights from the west coast to Hawaii, the Avios coast will be less than any of the domestic carriers. We had a new FTer at a San Diego dinner last month. She had gotten 5 RT coach awards to Hawaii for her family using Avios on AS. I've redeemed Avios on connector flights in Australia (QF), Southern Africa (BA), and Japan (JAL) with great success. I even redeemed for CX F from HKG-LAX, where the number of Avios was higher with BA but the fee was lower than with AA. The key thing was that AA had no availability and BA did.

I wouldn't recommend anyone move SPG points unless they know the Avios program and have a specific award they are targeting with Avios. If all that is in place, then a 25% bonus is a very nice thing to get.
You got it right. Avios can be good under certain specific circumstances, but is not overall good program to dump miles just because they are offering a transfer bonus.
holtju2 is online now  
Old Sep 16, 13, 6:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,965
I think it varies a lot and Avios can be great value if your flexible, if you need specific flights then not so much! When combined with the Amex 2for1 vouchers of which I get 4 a year it works very well indeed, 150-180k for 2 first class seats to anywhere I want to go! OK the taxes are high but still cheaper than paying for it!

So if you want economy or to a degree Business travel (availability tends not to be as good as F) then maybe not so great but for me it works well and complete 4 roud trips a year using Avios without issue!
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 6:49 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,600
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I even redeemed for CX F from HKG-LAX, where the number of Avios was higher with BA but the fee was lower than with AA.
Huh? I pretty much commute between BOS and BKK, often using CX F awards with my AAdvantage miles. IIRC my last redemption had a USD $2.50 copay, or something like that. Sometimes it's as high as USD $65 roughly, but never more.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 7:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: 0°48′24″N 176°36′59″W
Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
Posts: 1,062
I redeem for CX F and J exclusively.. the taxes are generally less than $100

I just transferred 40K SPG to become 65K BA or another USA to Asia Biz ticket.

If you don't like Avios, you're simply not using the program correctly.
deadinabsentia is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 7:40 am
  #9  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Posts: 6,835
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia View Post
If you don't like Avios, you're simply not using the program correctly.
This.

I'm not going to be taking advantage of this offer as I currently have nearly 20 times as many Avios as SPG points already, but normally do.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 9:40 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,600
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia View Post
I just transferred 40K SPG to become 65K BA or another USA to Asia Biz ticket.
Yeah, but with AA, 67,500 gets you USA to Asia in CX F, not J. Only 2,500 more miles.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 10:12 am
  #11  
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Posts: 12,551
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Yeah, but with AA, 67,500 gets you USA to Asia in CX F, not J. Only 2,500 more miles.
Yes, but they transferred 40,000 SPG points to 62,500 avios with this bonus.
You would only get 50,000 AAdvantage miles from 40,000 SPG points, and so it is 17,500 AA miles extra.
nux is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 10:20 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: All over
Programs: Most
Posts: 10,840
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Yeah, but with AA, 67,500 gets you USA to Asia in CX F, not J. Only 2,500 more miles.
Originally Posted by nux View Post
Yes, but they transferred 40,000 SPG points to 62,500 avios with this bonus.
You would only get 50,000 AAdvantage miles from 40,000 SPG points, and so it is 17,500 AA miles extra.
The AA includes stopover at the US gateway and connection(s) in Asia as well. Try pricing those with BA Avios and see what he price is.
holtju2 is online now  
Old Sep 16, 13, 10:29 am
  #13  
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Posts: 12,551
Originally Posted by holtju2 View Post
The AA includes stopover at the US gateway and connection(s) in Asia as well. Try pricing those with BA Avios and see what he price is.
Well try pricing a direct domestic flight with AAdvantage miles compared to avios and see what the difference is?

They are different programs with different advantages and disadvantages. I was pointing out the fact that 40k SPG would only be 50k AA miles, whereas it would be 62.5k BA avios. There is no one correct answer as to which is worth more, it all depends on how you use them.
nux is offline  
Old Sep 16, 13, 10:45 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: All over
Programs: Most
Posts: 10,840
Originally Posted by nux View Post
Well try pricing a direct domestic flight with AAdvantage miles compared to avios and see what the difference is?

They are different programs with different advantages and disadvantages. I was pointing out the fact that 40k SPG would only be 50k AA miles, whereas it would be 62.5k BA avios. There is no one correct answer as to which is worth more, it all depends on how you use them.
In general AA miles are more valuable than BA Avios, which has it uses only on specific cases that has already been discussed above.
holtju2 is online now  
Old Sep 16, 13, 12:37 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tyrone,EU
Programs: Avios Hunter
Posts: 2,646
Originally Posted by holtju2 View Post
In general AA miles are more valuable than BA Avios, which has it uses only on specific cases that has already been discussed above.
9k Avios plus £17 for 1 way J MIA CUN on AA was good value for me.

30k AA for the same flight.
tangey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: