Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Instant Gold when get the SPG Amex card... in Japan!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant Gold when get the SPG Amex card... in Japan!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Spoke with *wood staff in Japan and verified that the annual fee is ¥32500. Application forms are available at front desks (some hotels have displays others you need to inquire).
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by gaijinjapan
I have scanned all over the site and could not find anything about the annual fee. Can you let me know how I can find out more information about it?
It`s on a bunch of blogs in Japanese. Just search the cc name in Japanese and you`ll find plenty of blogs and news posts.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Hi,

Has anyone experience of how to claim the annual free night certificate? The SPG website is quite vague just saying 'email registration is required' (translated)
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:50 am

You don't have to "claim" them. They just show up in the "Your Earned Awards" section of your SPG profile. Shows up as SPG AX JP FREE NIGHT month/year.

You realize you will get your first free night award in the second year (it posts roughly 2 months after every anniversary provided annual fee was paid)?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
thanks, I've just tripped over the one year anniversary and couldn't work out if I needed to do anything for it.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Looks like SIN still gets no love...
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
There are ways to get 17000 point bonus for this card.

http://yokohamamalog.com/spgamex-introduction-campaign
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I am hoping my I can still remember my Japanese from school well enough to understand this, but it looks as though next week Amex is bringing the SPG card to Japan.

https://www.spgpromos.com/amexjp/

Some interesting benefits here:
*Automatic upgrade to Gold membership from first day you have the card
*15% off all bars and restaurants at Starwood hotels across Japan
*1 Starpoint for each 100 Yen spent.... which is basically the same as the US card.

There's also a competition to win 50,000 Starpoints but I presume your account needs to be registered in Japan!
Updates post merger seem to be:
* Gold membership remains, in its watered down state
* 3 points for each 100 yen spent
* Free night good at SPG/Marriott hotels with up to 50,000 point redemption rate

I can't find any confirmation on the 15% restaurant discount, or if it is extended to Marriott hotels now. Anyone know about this?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Updates post merger seem to be:
* Gold membership remains, in its watered down state
* 3 points for each 100 yen spent
* Free night good at SPG/Marriott hotels with up to 50,000 point redemption rate

I can't find any confirmation on the 15% restaurant discount, or if it is extended to Marriott hotels now. Anyone know about this?
This card has been around forever. I have it as I live in Japan.
However, the perks have been watered down due to the merger (not Amex fault, although they could have chosen to increase the perks).
Gold -> New Marriot Gold -> No tangible benefits worth forking over the 32K JPY for.
Free night at Cat 1-6 SPG -> up to 50,000 point redemption rate (compounded with the devaluation, see this sortable list here), no real benefits of the free night, since the great (former) category 6 hotels are going up in award price.
2 stays/5 nights credit -> 5 nights credit
I am actually on the fence about terminating this card before renewal is due in November...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
This card has been around forever. I have it as I live in Japan.
However, the perks have been watered down due to the merger (not Amex fault, although they could have chosen to increase the perks).
Gold -> New Marriot Gold -> No tangible benefits worth forking over the 32K JPY for.
Free night at Cat 1-6 SPG -> up to 50,000 point redemption rate (compounded with the devaluation, see this sortable list here), no real benefits of the free night, since the great (former) category 6 hotels are going up in award price.
2 stays/5 nights credit -> 5 nights credit
I am actually on the fence about terminating this card before renewal is due in November...
SPG Gold was never much to begin with. Only the brief time where I leveraged that into old Marriott Gold was the only time I found value in it, as it got us lounge access at the Prince Sakura Tower.

Actually, The Prince Sakura Tower is likely the reason I will keep the card for at least another year. I think the free night is still valid here, and although the Marriott Gold won't be good for the lounge anymore, I think my SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum membership should do the trick for that. I also go there for breakfast about a dozen times a year, so if I can now get a 15% discount on that, then the card pays for itself.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer my own question, only former SPG hotels are in play for the 15% discount.

One Brand, Two Systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.