Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My SPG Account Got Hacked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by silverfalls
My password was 17 characters that included all of the above that you mentioned. Still it was hacked, nothing is strong anymore in the net.
The "hacking" is almost always an inside job - whether by an SPG employee or a hacker who got access to SPG's database. So strength of one's password is probably totally immaterial as they probably already know it...
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:36 am

Another recent trend is once a hacker obtained combination of userid and password from somewhere, he use to try same for other sites. In that case, eventhough origin might be an insider, the actual attacker is not. Need to generate site specific password by a specific software to protect...

Originally Posted by farwest101
The "hacking" is almost always an inside job
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by g8torjenn
I called in on Monday about it, so hopefully it will happen soon.
agreed, per your situation, I'd still like to see the airline bust the guy (at the airport when they show up) who used your points for an air award.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
agreed, per your situation, I'd still like to see the airline bust the guy (at the airport when they show up) who used your points for an air award.
It wouldn't surprise me if the award was sold to a third person.

Slightly off topic - I went to Paul McCartney's Orlando concert this year. A couple in front of me had internet tickets. Turned out whomever they bought them from had already sold the tickets to at least one other couple.
I bought my tickets from someone in person and made sure that they were the 'old' style tickets and saw the receipt for them. Caveat emptor.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:48 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
The "hacking" is almost always an inside job - whether by an SPG employee or a hacker who got access to SPG's database. So strength of one's password is probably totally immaterial as they probably already know it...
A number of years ago an associate at a former SPG property took my wife's CC info (given to her over the phone to make a reservation) and used it (or gave it to someone who used it) to buy airline tickets. For 2 months down the line.

I SO wished the cops were interested enough to show up and arrest the ticket holder, but they were not interested in doing that.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP

Respectfully disagree. You could see a variety of industry studies like the most recent VZ DBIR, the Mandiant report, anything from Krebs, etc, but in general the "hacking" is most likely a keylogger running on one of the many computers s/he has logged into over the years. The criminals have a variety of ways of monetizing stolen accounts. I had to work a breach of a large payment processor a couple months ago that was having rewards accounts logged into using valid creds, where the criminal was transferring points to apple gift cards and then resold them on ebay.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
Don't give them your actual password, of course. Change some characters to others of the same type. If your pw is asdf234%, give them asjk654$. The strength should be reported the same, but you haven't given them anything too useful.

^ +1

Call me paranoid, but people's willingness to type a password into a random text box on an unknown website without thinking of the possible consequences is worrying!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I rarely check on my SPG balance but got my e-statement today and sure enough I have got cleaned out by some hacker transferring to Etihad. While I hate the idea that I might lose all the points it's a good kick in the butt to change all my other website passwords. I've been lucky that this is the first time I've had this happen. I'd hate it to be my various banking websites.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by cleanfloor
Respectfully disagree. You could see a variety of industry studies like the most recent VZ DBIR, the Mandiant report, anything from Krebs, etc, but in general the "hacking" is most likely a keylogger running on one of the many computers s/he has logged into over the years. The criminals have a variety of ways of monetizing stolen accounts. I had to work a breach of a large payment processor a couple months ago that was having rewards accounts logged into using valid creds, where the criminal was transferring points to apple gift cards and then resold them on ebay.
There is a consistent series of reports of SPG-specific accounts being hacked. That indicates SPG-specific breach has occurred.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:58 am

There is a consistent series of reports of SPG-specific accounts being hacked. That indicates SPG-specific breach has occurred.
Or they are being targeted directly or indirectly.

Either way they really need to increase and review their own security, password length/strength, internal procedures to make sure verbal passwords are never the same as a members passwords and are never revealed internally, and so on. Another good security measure would be a different way to enter the verbal password so as not to have to give it to an agent at all (keypad entry, for example.)

Unfortunately, given their history ... but one can always hope for enlightenment.

-David
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:49 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Or they are being targeted directly or indirectly.

Either way they really need to increase and review their own security, password length/strength, internal procedures to make sure verbal passwords are never the same as a members passwords and are never revealed internally, and so on. Another good security measure would be a different way to enter the verbal password so as not to have to give it to an agent at all (keypad entry, for example.)

Unfortunately, given their history ... but one can always hope for enlightenment.

-David
You do not have to enter your verbal password over the phone with an agent. This can easily be done on line through editing your profile.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by GB
You do not have to enter your verbal password over the phone with an agent.
yes, you do ... Not creating it .. You need it for anything you do over the phone involving your points or your reservations. Many awards can't be booked online. Some changes can't be done easily online either. They use the verbal password as one of several things they try to use to confirm your identity. They ask you for it when they need it to help confirm your identity.

It's more like an account PIN and maybe it would be better if that's what they called it, and their software should make sure it's not the same as your account password. At least they make you pick a 6 character minimum now.

-David
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SPG could also restrict transfers out of Starpoints into airline accounts that have not been open for a while or even those into which no airline points have yet been earned. The MO for this fraud seems to be that someone finds the SPG account and password, opens an airline account in that name, and then uses the transferred miles to issue an award ticket in a different person's name. If the airline doesn't have more controls on the scenario of a new account, miles transferred in and then immediately going out as an award ticket in a different name, then SPG should restrict such transfers or at least strongly investigate their legitimacy before approving the transfer. SPG transfers don't seem to be instantaneous so we can hardly count on the strategy of finding award space and then transferring from SPG immediately anyway.

I assume SPG is enforcing the control of only allowing Starpoints to airline FF program transfers when the names and addresses on the two accounts are the same or at least similar (initials versus full name, middle name, etc., or home and business addresses in same city).
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:34 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
It wouldn't surprise me if the award was sold to a third person.
probably right, however I still would like to see that person pulled aside at the airport, so that it is a painful event for them as I'm just guessing here, the deal was too good to be true. Might even make the news so that other folks might think twice about where they purchase their tickets.
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I SO wished the cops were interested enough to show up and arrest the ticket holder, but they were not interested in doing that.
disappointing to hear, perhaps because it is fraud it is not the proper authority to get involved?

Did SPG corp become involved and if so, what was resolution?

Did you try sending story to local newspapers or TV? (most have a Consumer Help/Ombudsman section)

Perhaps even send to travel magazines such as http://www.cntraveler.com/ombudsman

--
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:05 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
probably right, however I still would like to see that person pulled aside at the airport, so that it is a painful event for them as I'm just guessing here, the deal was too good to be true. Might even make the news so that other folks might think twice about where they purchase their tickets.disappointing to hear, perhaps because it is fraud it is not the proper authority to get involved?

Did SPG corp become involved and if so, what was resolution?

Did you try sending story to local newspapers or TV? (most have a Consumer Help/Ombudsman section)

Perhaps even send to travel magazines such as http://www.cntraveler.com/ombudsman

--
Corporate quickly gave us points for our troubles but claimed they didn't have enough proof to identify a guilty employee. We knew the name of the person we had given the CC # to, but that wasn't enough for them to pursue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.