Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My SPG Account Got Hacked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Originally Posted by Keyser
do you use a service like awardwallet or something similar by any chance????
Awardwallet yes, but some of the accounts that got hacked for me would not be in awardwallet at all, like Amex, Stamps, Discover, Fedex, etc. BUT I have an Roboform so that could be a potential breach, however, it sounds like they even have my social security number which is not in my Roboform.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
So it looks like the main two transfer partners that they picked was Etihad and Air Canada. My Amex SPG was compromised I think 3 years ago and have been having problems with Amex cards a few times since. One of my Citi cards and my Discover cash back balance was also compromised as well in between along with a Fedex account and a stamps.com account. Not sure where the security breach is though. I've changed passwords pretty consistently so I think the hackers used my information to gain access to these accounts rather than actual passwords.
You might want to consider the integrity of your computer, including the possibility that there's a keystroke logger installed.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Originally Posted by Steve M
You might want to consider the integrity of your computer, including the possibility that there's a keystroke logger installed.
Yes, I considered that possibility, but I have changed my computer almost on a annual basis. The main thing that have confused me in these hacks is how they got my most up-to-date password, specifically something like Discover or Amex that I changed passwords pretty frequently. There is always some factor that discredit one my theories so I can't specifically point to any particular reason.

Another thing that got me is that even though they have not gotten an upper hand on any of these hacks so far (except for Fedex as they seems to have sent over 100 packages in span of a few days that all looks like envelopes from the weight), they continue to target my different accounts every few months. With what happend to my Fedex account, this seems to be a ring of professional and not an individual by any sense. I imagine this is out of SPG's league in terms of cracking down on this since banks have way more resources and still have trouble with these hacks all the time.

Last edited by flyerwanabe1; Apr 28, 2014 at 1:23 pm
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jpdx
I awoke to two email messages from SPG telling me that my email address and credit card number had been updated. I made no such update, and in fact, when logging into my account, it reflects no updates.

Is this a glitch, or reason for concern? As a precaution, I changed my password -- anything else?
i got the same email as well telling me that my credit card number has been updated....
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
I logged into my account after quite a while today and noticed that it has 0 balance and also that email address and phone number had been changed. The transaction history showed miles had been transferred to Etihad mileage program...I have called them and they have opened a fraud investigation on this - any chance I will have luck getting back (albeit puny) 28K points?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Woke up this morning to the unpleasant realization that my account has been hacked. I received an email from SPG confirming a points transfer to CX that I hadnt made. Checked my account hoping the email had been sent in error, but unfortunately my balance was depleted by 79,999 (the max one can transfer out in a day). Thanks to the email, I managed to catch it early on, so I am hoping this can be resolved - I have already contacted Plat Concierge and emailed the Account Integrity department.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Update on my situation: SPG followed up and reinstated all the points that were transferred out fraudulently. ^ for excellent customer service!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by Quasiconvexity
Update on my situation: SPG followed up and reinstated all the points that were transferred out fraudulently. ^ for excellent customer service!
Proper thing to do....just another reason why SPG is #1 in my books.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:02 pm

SPG Account Hacked

Received an email from SPG tonight that someone changed my email address on my SPG account and then at the same time points started flowing out to redeem Amazon gift cards. $200 in gift cards were illegally redeemed from my account. SPG have frozen my account so that they can investigate this and prevent any further theft. Encourage everyone to watch out as the hackers have already targeted AA and UA and maybe they are now going after hotels?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Thanks for the heads up. I hope they restore your points as the airlines have.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:53 am

SPG Account Hacked

Me too! They told me to expect to hear from someone within 14 days as they are backed up. Hoping so!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:10 am

SPG Account Hacked

Got multiple emails while I was asleep last night telling me my SPG account information has been updated I hadn't logged into my account in months so called SPG. Could not login or verify any of my personal information with the rep as the perp had changed everything so they couldn't do anything for me on the phone.

I had over 150K SPG points which were apparently cashed out for Amazon gift cards and mailed to an address in Illinois. Sending an email to SPG now hopefulyy they can clear this out soon.

Wondeirng if this has happened to anyone else recently as it would mean theres been some kind of breach?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Thread merge

Originally Posted by abaaz
Wondeirng if this has happened to anyone else recently as it would mean theres been some kind of breach?
Yes, see posts above.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Lurkers, Should we be worried?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:21 pm

I wonder if this is why the SPG website seems to be down right now, at least for me it is.

Could also be a nasty review I just wrote about the Sheraton Hamilton lol...

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.