Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chatwal or St. Regis NYC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by meraki1990
I had a quick question.

I am planning to have a weekend getaway in New York, which also is likely to be my wedding proposal night.

Given this once-in-a-lifetime special occasion, should I go for the St Regis or the Chatwal?

I have a BRG at Chatwal for $280 a night, St.Regis will probably be cash+points at 15,000 + 275 a night. (Scratch that, I can get a BRG for St. Regis at around $460 a night, so $180 difference)

Anyone have some insight?

The rooms at St Regis look amazing... not sure about the Chatwal but it's literally a 15,000 starpoint difference per night.
"Likely"? lol

Seriously, cost should not be a factor for an ocassion such as this. Just pick the one your fiancé would like the best.

Cheers,
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by meraki1990
I am planning to have a weekend getaway in New York, which also is likely to be my wedding proposal night.

Given this once-in-a-lifetime special occasion, should I go for the St Regis or the Chatwal?
Easy choice for me. Read this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Regis_Hotel

The Chatwal has it's history too, but the St. Regis NYC is one of the top ten historical hotels in the world.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flews
"Likely"? lol

Seriously, cost should not be a factor for an ocassion such as this. Just pick the one your fiancé would like the best.

Cheers,
LOL, yeah, likely.

The one my fiancee would like best.. tough one.

But I do agree, cost isn't an issue, I think I will go with the St. Regis on this one.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by stimpy
Easy choice for me. Read this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Regis_Hotel

The Chatwal has it's history too, but the St. Regis NYC is one of the top ten historical hotels in the world.
Thanks for this. I think for a special weekend like this, I'll choose the St. Regis.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:17 pm
Suspended

I may be biased (spent my wedding night here) but I'm in LOVE with the St. Regis NYC. Favorite property in the states, by far (as far as urban properties go) and one of my favorite in the world.

Worth noting that Virtuoso offers an upgrade at the time of booking AND a third night free.

- Upgrade at time of booking, subject to availability (up to the Astor Suite category)
- Continental breakfast daily, for up to two in room guests
- Afternoon Tea for two in King Cole Bar & Salon, once during stay (Not including tax or gratuity)
- Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability

NO brainer if you ask me
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Worth noting that Virtuoso offers an upgrade at the time of booking AND a third night free.
Yes as the poster is SPG Plat it is definitely a good idea to combine that status with a Virtuoso or Amex FHR booking to get the 3rd night free and an extra upgrade (YMMV) beyond what your normal Platinum status gives you. My advice is to be prepared with the SPG mobile app at check in to show that better suites are available for booking. The staff here are usually resistant to automatically upgrading you further but with a bit of prodding you can find yourself with a better suite than what was programmed for you.

As for the breakfast, your Platinum status will give you better than Continental breakfast as all Plat's get full breakfast at the St. Regis NYC and that is a very valuable benefit. And with FHR you get a $100 F&B credit.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes as the poster is SPG Plat it is definitely a good idea to combine that status with a Virtuoso or Amex FHR booking to get the 3rd night free and an extra upgrade (YMMV) beyond what your normal Platinum status gives you. My advice is to be prepared with the SPG mobile app at check in to show that better suites are available for booking. The staff here are usually resistant to automatically upgrading you further but with a bit of prodding you can find yourself with a better suite than what was programmed for you.

As for the breakfast, your Platinum status will give you better than Continental breakfast as all Plat's get full breakfast at the St. Regis NYC and that is a very valuable benefit. And with FHR you get a $100 F&B credit.
Agree with the above, but from a personal standpoint, I actually prefer the standard rooms vs. the entry level suites at the St. Regis NYC. The suites (had the Grand Suite last time) can almost be awkwardly big if you don't really need the space. Wife made us switch rooms last time.

I also like the blues/white color scheme of many of the entry levels vs. the purplish reds of some of the suites.

Pics from my last visit (including sites of Tiffany Suite, among others): click here.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Any updated comparisons between the two? Sounds like most folks favor the St. Regis, including for such factors as a a more likely platinum upgrade and a full breakfast. FWIW, not a romantic get-away...it would be a Friday night in March with one of my best friends, to see the Springsteen on Broadway show.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Any updated comparisons between the two? Sounds like most folks favor the St. Regis, including for such factors as a a more likely platinum upgrade and a full breakfast. FWIW, not a romantic get-away...it would be a Friday night in March with one of my best friends, to see the Springsteen on Broadway show.
We actually will finally stay at the StR New York in March, as well, for a weekend. I actually prefer the Chatwal, having stayed there several times. But we wanted to finally try the StR before the SPG-Marriott merger possibly changes things.

I’m a huge fan of St Regis hotels, though the style of the New York property was always a bit off-putting for me.

That being said, I absolutely love the Chatwal. I think it’s one of the best yet most under-regarded Luxury Collection properties in the world. I love the rooms and suites, I love the Lambs Club Restaurant, I love the bar, and I love the Art Deco design. The service has always been fantastic. And it usually is substantially less expensive than the StR. I wouldn’t let a full breakfast sway me between hotels. Its smaller size does usually mean fewer upgrades, perhaps, but in March it also may be less full than usual.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 19, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much, bhr. I've found your perspectives very informative, so I'll take another look at the Chatwal.

FWIW, though, re the relative prices of the two hotels...money is no object, since it will be an award stay.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:38 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks very much, bhr. I've found your perspectives very informative, so I'll take another look at the Chatwal.

FWIW, though, re the relative prices of the two hotels...money is no object, since it will be an award stay.
Thanks so much. As an award stay, I’d go with your gut. They’re both great hotels, but with distinct styles and audiences. I don’t think you can go wrong. But please do report back on what you do and how it goes, @Thunderroad!

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 23, 2017 at 11:05 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

I agree with bhrubin's perspective and usually choose the Chatwal for a variety of those same factors. If I'm traveling with a friend and the cost is the same though, I'd probably pick the st Regis. I like the location better and the standard rooms are really big compared to the lower level rooms at the Chatwal.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.