Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

No Access to Water Until Evening... Shouldn't Hotel Notify Guests?

Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.

I'm checking in to a Westin tomorrow. Received the normal "We're Ready for your Arrival" email a couple of days ago. No mention of any closures or issues. Looking around on the hotel's web site a couple of week's ago I happened to see the following message:

Special Conditions
Hotel Closure July 28 / No Water Available July 28 & 29
On July 28, 2013, due to a major hot water repair, the hotel will be closed. Additionally, while guests may check-in on Monday, July 29 after 3pm, the hotel will have no access to water until later that evening. Please contact the hotel for further information.

I am sure that most people checking in to the hotel tomorrow will not be aware of the fact that the hotel will not be open until 3pm (perhaps they'll accomodate guests by storing their luggage?) or that they will not have water till some time that evening.

Isn't it good form to notify guests (a simple process via email) when they plan a major repair of this sort? ... not even a hint of it on the email they sent saying they are ready for us. Doesn't "ready" include water?

Ready... Really?

(Hotel... Westin Washington Dulles Airport)
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:18 am
Suspended

That's a pretty egregious disregard for customers not to inform them of something like that while taking their money. It's rather ridiculous to put the onus on the customer to check the Hotel website after they already have a confirmed reservation for the place.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
Guests Shouldn't WONDER What They'll Get Upon Arrival

Agree. Not as bad, but reminds me of the Maui Sheraton not informing guests that their pool would be closed and reserved for use by a group.

Doesn't it seem obvious that any hotel that has a major change of any type, or what a reasonable person might think would inconvenience a guest in any way, should notify the guest as soon as they are aware of the situation. This way a guest can consider the inconvenience and decide if they want to change their plans.

No water? I think guests would be interested in this information.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Travel Pro
I'm checking in to a Westin tomorrow. Received the normal "We're Ready for your Arrival" email a couple of days ago. No mention of any closures or issues. Looking around on the hotel's web site a couple of week's ago I happened to see the following message:

Special Conditions
Hotel Closure July 28 / No Water Available July 28 & 29
On July 28, 2013, due to a major hot water repair, the hotel will be closed. Additionally, while guests may check-in on Monday, July 29 after 3pm, the hotel will have no access to water until later that evening. Please contact the hotel for further information.

I am sure that most people checking in to the hotel tomorrow will not be aware of the fact that the hotel will not be open until 3pm (perhaps they'll accomodate guests by storing their luggage?) or that they will not have water till some time that evening.

Isn't it good form to notify guests (a simple process via email) when they plan a major repair of this sort? ... not even a hint of it on the email they sent saying they are ready for us. Doesn't "ready" include water?

Ready... Really?

(Hotel... Westin Washington Dulles Airport)
I agree it should be in the confirmation, but those are auto generated.

As stated here before, you should always check the site of the hotel you're staying in prior to departure. In this event, you were given notice.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Originally Posted by KENNECTED

As stated here before, you should always check the site of the hotel you're staying in prior to departure. In this event, you were given notice.
Totally disagree with this comment. It's the hotel's responsibility, not the guest's.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Hotel's Responsibility to Notify Guests if Something is Awry...

You're kidding, right? You think it's the guest's responsibility to check the web site of each hotel? How often should I check? Every day? So, I'm heading out of the country for a month... staying at about 8 different hotels along the way. I don't think it's my responsibility to be constantly checking on the status of each hotel.

Isn't it easier, and more efficient, to have the hotel send an email when something out of the ordinary occurs, especially since this type of thing doesn't happen very frequently? It's very easy for the hotel to do.

How should the hotel have handled guests who made a reservation for today, 7/28, when they decided they had to work on the water system and therefore close the hotel? I think an email is most effecient.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:50 pm
Suspended

You're kidding, right? You think it's the guest's responsibility to check the web site of each hotel? How often should I check? Every day? So, I'm heading out of the country for a month... staying at about 8 different hotels along the way. I don't think it's my responsibility to be constantly checking on the status of each hotel.

Isn't it easier, and more efficient, to have the hotel send an email when something out of the ordinary occurs, especially since this type of thing doesn't happen very frequently? It's very easy for the hotel to do.

How should the hotel have handled guests who made a reservation for today, 7/28, when they decided they had to work on the water system and therefore close the hotel? I think an email is most effecient.
Yes I do.

I learned that a long time ago, on this very website. Yes, properties should be proactive and notify guest. However, if you book far in advance, you should check the hotels website (and Flyertalk) closer to your arrival date to see if anything out of the ordinary has taken place.

If a person is booking july 28, wouldn't they have seen the special conditions on the website? If they didn't they didn't read the properties website, I believe the ownership is on the person booking.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes I do.

I learned that a long time ago, on this very website. Yes, properties should be proactive and notify guest. However, if you book far in advance, you should check the hotels website (and Flyertalk) closer to your arrival date to see if anything out of the ordinary has taken place.

If a person is booking july 28, wouldn't they have seen the special conditions on the website? If they didn't they didn't read the properties website, I believe the ownership is on the person booking.
Agree. If you're active on FT it helps...

BTW, Notice of the Hotel Closure and Water Outage only posted on the SPG face page. No mention of it on the Westin site.

http://www.westindulles.com/
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Agree. If you're active on FT it helps...

BTW, Notice of the Hotel Closure and Water Outage only posted on the SPG face page. No mention of it on the Westin site.

http://www.westindulles.com/
Booking will most likely take place via the spg/starwood website, not the website posted above.

Having said that, information should be identical in both places.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

How did the guest receive notice from the hotel? By posting on their website - day (or two prior) of arrival? Not good enough for me. They have my email and phone - either email blast me there's an issue or have a desk clerk call all new, arriving guests.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
How did the guest receive notice from the hotel? By posting on their website - day (or two prior) of arrival? Not good enough for me. They have my email and phone - either email blast me there's an issue or have a desk clerk call all new, arriving guests.

Yup, If the announcement was prior to booking then it's the guests responsability, but if it was after then it's the hotel's, either they should call all guests or email them.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Yup, If the announcement was prior to booking then it's the guests responsability, but if it was after then it's the hotel's, either they should call all guests or email them.
Agreed. I'm at over 200+ hotel nights per year. If I have to double check every booking I make, prior to arrival, I would need to find a new job. Also, if I did check on the day of arrival and find something vital like this (no water), what am I supposed to do? Book another hotel? By that point it may be impossible to find available rooms at other hotels nearby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.