Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spg churn and other ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:38 am
Original Poster

spg churn and other ?'s

was going to post this under the master thread, but it's closed.
anyway, just cancelled my amex spg card to avoid the fee. can i churn this and how long do I have to wait if so?
my plan is to get the wife one sometimes soon under her separate #.
I see 25k is the offer now, any chance of the 30k coming back. I know it was offered about this time last year because that's when I got mine. I also see they have killed the referral bonus.
if I get the wife one, I've heard it's pretty easy to transfer points from my account to hers, true?
also how long do my points stay active, think I remember 2 years from last activity, but not sure.
thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
was going to post this under the master thread, but it's closed.
anyway, just cancelled my amex spg card to avoid the fee. can i churn this and how long do I have to wait if so?
my plan is to get the wife one sometimes soon under her separate #.
I see 25k is the offer now, any chance of the 30k coming back. I know it was offered about this time last year because that's when I got mine. I also see they have killed the referral bonus.
if I get the wife one, I've heard it's pretty easy to transfer points from my account to hers, true?
also how long do my points stay active, think I remember 2 years from last activity, but not sure.
thanks.
Honestly, there is an FAQ thread for each of your questions as well as information on SPG.com
  1. Offer points - your guess is as good as mine or anyone eles on this board. Check the site frequently.
  2. Transfering points - FAQ: Can you transfer points to another person? (2006 onward) [Master Thread]
  3. Points expirations - FAQ: When will my starpoints expire? 2007 onwards discussion
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info but my main question is can I churn the card?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:15 am

Why don't you just call and ask? Instant answer.

Cheers,
Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm pretty sure that you can churn if you wait for a year after canceling.

Also, you (and your wife) should be aware of the SPG Amex business card, I believe anyone can get. You can have both that card and the regular SPG Amex personal card at the same time. You can give your own name as that name of the business and provide a pretty low business income level. Sign-up/first spend bonuses are usually 25K and occasionally 30K if you have the right online link.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:05 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by Flews

Cheers,
I agree with Flewsie!

Also, mtbmtb01, have you visited the American Express Membership Rewards forum?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flews

Cheers,
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I agree with Flewsie!
Call and ask who????

Call and ask Amex??? "I want you to give md something for nothing. I want to get bonus points but I don't want to pay any annual fee. How quickly can I cancel and reapply for the card to get more bonus points from you without ever paying you an annual fee? And can I endlessly repeat that?" Nice way to get Amex to see that you're a no-good customer and perhaps even flag you as such (rather than simply getting a correct answer)!

It's not in Amex's interest to have you be purely a churner, so why should a pure churner call Amex to inquire about the specifics of pure churning???
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Call and ask who????

Call and ask Amex??? "I want you to give md something for nothing. I want to get bonus points but I don't want to pay any annual fee. How quickly can I cancel and reapply for the card to get more bonus points from you without ever paying you an annual fee? And can I endlessly repeat that?" Nice way to get Amex to see that you're a no-good customer and perhaps even flag you as such (rather than simply getting a correct answer)!

It's not in Amex's interest to have you be purely a churner, so why should a pure churner call Amex to inquire about the specifics of pure churning???
But AMEX or any other CC company can give you enough information about each of their products to make a decision on how you want to manage your credit.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
But AMEX or any other CC company can give you enough information about each of their products to make a decision on how you want to manage your credit.
i know how to manage my credit and what i would like to do. just wondering if anybody had reapplied and got the points again and if so how long the wait was. have to agree with sdsearch that calling is not the way to find out.
as for the other ?'s, thanks to KENNECTED for the info and i see i should of done a better search to find out the answers for myself.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just wondering if anybody had reapplied and got the points again and if so how long the wait was. have to agree with sdsearch that calling is not the way to find out.
From what I've read elsewhere on FT (but not personal experience), the general rule with Amex the bank (but I don't know if this applies specifically to SPG) is that you have to wait at least a year after cancelling the previous card to be able to get the bonus on the new card of the same or very similar type, but that it may also depend on the language of the new card's offer.

(At Amex the bank, you thus have to give up any benefits of the card for at least a year to churn it. As opposed, say, to Citi, where you can keep the first card and as long as it's been "long enough" since you applied for the first card, you may be able to apply for a second card of the very same type, though again it may depend on the language of the new card's offer.)
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:22 am
Original Poster

SPG 30,000 bonus Starpoints with The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express YMMV

wife got this email for a one day early ap so it may be open to everyone tomorrow...

I just cancelled mine to avoid the fee so now's the time to get the wife one.
link shows ap for both so I think it will work for personal and business

You're invited to apply one day early to take advantage of this limited-time offer. Now, you can earn up to 30,000 bonus Starpoints®2,3 with The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express. With 30,000 Starpoints, you could enjoy 3 free nights at a Category 4 hotel, or 7 free nights at a Category 2 hotel.4 Note: Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.

Redeem Starpoints for free nights at over 1,100 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries and free flights on more than 350 airlines with SPG® Flights — all with no blackout dates.5 With exclusive benefits such as credit for 5 nights and 2 stays toward SPG elite status each year,6 it's a great time to get the Card.

With the Card, your Starpoints can add up quickly:
• 10,000 bonus Starpoints after your first purchase on the Card2

• 20,000 bonus Starpoints after you make $5,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 6 months of Cardmembership3

• Earn up to 5 Starpoints for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG hotels and resorts — that's 2 Starpoints for using the Card in addition to the Starpoints you earn as an SPG member.7 Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.8

Enjoy an introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $65.9

Don't miss your chance to get the Card that can help you get the most out of the Starwood Preferred Guest® program. To start earning more Starpoints for your next getaway, apply by September 3, 2013.10
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
I got the invite too. Is there a way to refer anybody or is that gone forever?

- naroowal
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
I'll be applying if the 30k offer becomes public. Not a lot of interesting offers to jump on at the moment..
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, AA, UA
Wow, looks like there's more information on this subject over at Dan's Deals than here. Over there the suggestion was that using a blank SPG number you could get multiple cards without closing the previous ones and still get the bonus, but the information is old--e.g. 2012 summer. So I searched FlyerTalk for an answer and this is the thread I find, with a bunch of snark and useless information. Wow FT sure is going to hell fast.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Google would have been a good start. http://www.freetripsandtricks.com/20...ess-cards.html

I cancelled my SPG AmEx several years ago; reapplied and got another one last year. I got the bonus points. The link above will answer your question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.