Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Charlotte & Le Meridien Charlotte North Carolina

Sheraton Charlotte & Le Meridien Charlotte North Carolina

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:25 am

I stayed here this weekend. I really liked it and was pleasantly surprised due to all of the complaints in this thread. Maybe the renovation is closer to being finished, but I found it up to my expectations.

Lobby was very nice, good bar
+Staff was professional and pleasant
+I used an SNA and got a huge suite on the 17th floor. Decoration and furnishing looked brand new, cool colors and textures. Great view of the skyline
+Bed was very comfortable
+Illy espresso machine in room
+Welcome note from VIP Services manager with cheese plate
+Lobby was very nice

Negatives
+Seemed like they were working on the suite above mine on the 18th floor...not bad, but some noises coming through.
+Overpriced parking for the area - $25/night for valet when there are lots for $8-$15 a day a block away (under the fairfield inn by marriott). The girl there actually charged me $8 and made m ea key for 4 days...i tipped her well.
+Shower stall was half enclosed with glass...somewhat silly design caused water to end up on the floor.

Other:
+did not have a problem with the location. Did not spend more than $5 on any uber rides in the area. The entire city is completely walkable from the LM. While true it's not right in the center of downtown, it's far from inaccessible.
+The Sheraton next door was equally nice
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
An FYI

Over a month later, I'm still fighting this property for an erroneously billed night - had two one-nighters (booked that way as the price rose on night 2). Checking back in for the second night, in hindsight looks like they basically extended my first night stay for a second night, and thus charged me 2x on night 2.

Property denied my credit request (even going through my Ambassador), and so now it's in the hands of AmEx. My TA has plenty of documentation of my booking, if I need to escalate further. Just really infuriating.

Needless to say, I will not be returning to this property. I actually think the location is pretty mediocre if walkability of Uptown is important to you (which it is to me).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
It seems like there is a mixed bag of reviews here. I thought I would add one review not so much about the hotel, but rather about the staff. I normally would not share an email this personal or the response, but I think this thread and property could use the positive recognition.

This is an email I wrote to the General Manager, Brian Hutchins, about a member of the front desk staff who helped put a smile on the faces of my family in an otherwise difficult time.

Mr. Hutchins,

My wife, my mother-in-law, and I recently drove to Charlotte the night after Christmas and stayed at Le Meridien Charlotte. As an Auburn family, I would have loved nothing more than to visit Charlotte to watch our former Heisman quarterback in Bank of America Stadium with our Aunt and Uncle as we had discussed doing so many times over the past couple years. Unfortunately, our visit to Charlotte was due to my wife's aunt suffering two massive strokes on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Aunt Dianne was in a coma in the ICU at Presbyterian and a decision had already been made by her husband (Uncle Jim) and her doctors to remove her from life support.

We normally plan vacations around our non-business stays with the Starwood hotels. I have definitely enjoyed the various benefits I have received as a Platinum member of the SPG program and we have been able to travel the world with Starwood, whether it was our honeymoon in Hawaii, a quick getaway to New York, our 2nd anniversary celebration across Europe, or our upcoming 3rd anniversary in Greece. This was one of the first times - perhaps the only time - that I have had to book a room at a Starwood hotel for something so unplanned and so unfortunate.

We decided to drive straight to the hospital, so I called the hotel to make sure the front desk knew that we would be late to check-in. I explained to Renee the situation and she was incredibly understanding and told me not to worry about anything with the hotel room and to focus our energy on the more pressing matters at the hospital.

We arrived to the hospital late on Friday evening. After a few hours with my wife's aunt, we checked in to the hotel to grab a few short hours of sleep before returning to the hospital. For once, a hotel we were visiting was being used for its core function: a place to grab a few winks of sleep.

Please understand that we spend a lot of time with Starwood and our travels are almost always planned around locations where Starwood hotels exist. I am intimately familiar with the various personal touches extended to me due to my status within SPG, such as upgraded rooms, champagne and chocolates in the hotel room, etc. I am perhaps the most low maintenance Platinum guest in the entire SPG program, so these little "extra miles" have always made my wife and I feel special when we arrive to our room/suite and notice the personal touches and/or surprises.

When I walked into the room and my wife handed me a handwritten letter from Renee and signed by the front office team members, it nearly brought tears to my eyes. This was single-handedly the most special token of acknowledgement I have ever received during my travels. It was not something that was placed in my room because of my status with the hotel chain, but rather it was something that was left by someone who genuinely cared about a family who was going through a rough time. This puts a smile on my face and warms my heart.

Aunt Dianne passed away on Saturday afternoon and we laid her to rest on New Year's Eve morning in Georgia. We have had many laughs and smiles this holiday season and we have definitely shed many tears of sadness. Please know that Renee and your staff touched our lives in a way that I'm not really sure I can adequately describe with words. It was a small gesture, but it had a much larger impact than she will likely ever know.

I just wanted to let you know about this thoughtful gesture by one of your employees and let you know how much it meant to all of us.

Sincerely,

Jibi

P.S. - When we finally make it back to Charlotte to see Cam and the Panthers, we will be certain to book our rooms at Le Meridien Charlotte.
Mr. Hutchins responded shortly after thanking me for the email, expressing his condolences, informing me that it was read to his management team during their daily stand up meeting, and asking me to introduce myself if/when we return to Charlotte.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:38 am

Booked seven nights at the Sheraton; stayed two. Usually, decisions to leave early are motivated by lousy gyms. There aren't many dealbreakers for me. Here the gym was great...if too warm at 80F. Front desk was a good experience at check-in. The overall property felt renovated. Stuff worked and was clean and relatively unworm.

A few bummers: My room was on the elevator lobby. I overlooked the local drag strip (...near as I could tell). I thought it was mostly NASCAR here. NHRA too, I guess. No place to set down soap in the shower, other than a narrow tub edge. (Hazardous for the tall and elderly.) Morning in the lounge was okay. Lounge attendant was pleasant enough, but spent the morning chatting with a friend. (To be fair, I didn't need anything.) Evening in the lounge, food arrived. Attendant arrived. But plates and utensils were locked up, so no service. Mysteriously, the hotel couldn't obtain utensils or plates from banquet services, catering, room service, restaurants... And couldn't open the lounge serviceroom door.

Not the hotel's fault: it was a further from my worksite than a much better hotel at the same price. (Hyatt Place)
Old May 12, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Over a month later, I'm still fighting this property for an erroneously billed night - had two one-nighters (booked that way as the price rose on night 2). Checking back in for the second night, in hindsight looks like they basically extended my first night stay for a second night, and thus charged me 2x on night 2.

Property denied my credit request (even going through my Ambassador), and so now it's in the hands of AmEx. My TA has plenty of documentation of my booking, if I need to escalate further. Just really infuriating.
Follow-up - AmEx let me know the hotel never responded to their inquiry, so I was credited back for the one night over-charge.

There may be some "stars" at this property, but it's clear that there are a lot of issues falling through the cracks.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
For sure the Meridien in Charlotte moving forward.

Had a good stay there last night - really good sized corner room. Just to +1 on two prior comments:
1. The toilet. Holy loud. Like a jet taking off in your bathroom. I mentioned it at the front desk and she acted like she's never heard a comment about it.
2. The gym is truly one of the most equipped hotel gyms I've ever seen. TONS of equipment, good feel to it, cold towels and water, headphones available. I'd go out of my way to stay here just to have access to it again.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Anybody stayed at the Sheraton recently? I have a trip planned and am usually in the Springhill by Spectrum. Also, with the merging of programs in about a month anybody had any luck getting lounge or breakfast as a gold?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:31 pm

Well, if no one has a response I guess I can update this thread later this week.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by safari ari
Anybody stayed at the Sheraton recently? I have a trip planned and am usually in the Springhill by Spectrum. Also, with the merging of programs in about a month anybody had any luck getting lounge or breakfast as a gold?
So I will bite - why do you think you will get lounge or breakfast? Not an SPG Gold benefit.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So I will bite - why do you think you will get lounge or breakfast? Not an SPG Gold benefit.
Its not an SPG gold benefit, but seeing as the programs are joining to Marriott soon, and I have Marriott gold, I was hoping they would honor that status as a consolation. And I was able to get access to the executive lounge at check in, yet they put me on a lower floor than my coworker who doesn't hold status.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by safari ari

Its not an SPG gold benefit, but seeing as the programs are joining to Marriott soon, and I have Marriott gold, I was hoping they would honor that status as a consolation. And I was able to get access to the executive lounge at check in, yet they put me on a lower floor than my coworker who doesn't hold status.
Expectations in excess of the program's standards will almost always lead to disappointment.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've stayed at both the Sheraton and LM in downtown Charlotte while an SPG Plat. I didn't get an upgrade on either stay and the LM lounge was pretty blah. The Sheraton lounge wasn't much better and the breakfast in the Sheraton lounge wasn't much better than Springhill. On the other hand, the LM has a nice rooftop bar.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:43 pm

Wanted to share some pictures from my stay for any curious.

Traditional Room:

Pool from room:

Executive Lounge breakfast offerings:

Eggs, bacon/breakfast meat, potatoes

Also had milk, cereal and yogurt available.
Evening offerings were usually two hot options, two types of dessert and charcuterie board of cheese, meats and fruits.

Best part of this hotel was the gym in the attached Le Meridian:

View from rooftop bar of Le Meridian:

Last edited by safari ari; Jan 30, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
In Charlotte for a few days on a delegation and we're being put up in another hotel in Uptown, but I slinked away to Le Méridien since I'm a hair away from remaking Plat50 and love the Le Méridien brand. Checked in yesterday for a one-night mattress run after finding a great rate and have some feedback:
  • The hotel is connected to the Sheraton Charlotte and the two share many facilities, such as the driveway [separate lobbies, however], fitness facilities, pool and club lounge.
  • Check-in at LM was fine; service was friendly but not particularly inspired. Informed that I had been upgraded to a room on the top floor - I didn't see suites online, so I wasn't expecting anything. I did ask for a room with a view of the skyline, and was told "oh yeah, you're on the highest floor so your views should be great." Upon arriving at the room, I drew the curtains back to see that my room faced... the back of the building towards southeast Charlotte. No skyline view.
  • The room itself was fine - very spacious with plenty of floor space, the LM bed, armchair, desk and chair, TV armoire, closet and some ledge space. Bathroom is compact with a sink, toilet and standing shower. As previous reviewers mentioned, the toilets flush LOUDLY and very quickly. Light-sensitive sleepers will get annoyed by the daylight coming through the top of the curtains in the morning.
  • The club lounge is fine - definitely on the smaller side though so I can easily see it get crowded. Came in for breakfast [7 to 10 AM] and there was a waffle machine, scrambled eggs and bacon, tater tots, oatmeal, fruit bowl, cereal, fresh juices, coffee machine and a small fridge with juices and soft drinks.
  • Some niggles: (1) I asked for extra Malin + Goetz amenities when I checked in in the afternoon and stepped out for a few hours - when I came back, they weren't delivered. (2) The in-room phone handset was broken so one has to use the speaker to place calls. (3) Plats at LM can use the club lounge at the Sheraton but there was no mention of this at check-in, so I had to call this morning to find that out. (4) There is considerable wear-and-tear around the hotel or, quite possibly since this issue plagued the hotel's previous incarnation as the Blake, shoddy construction. I was at the City Lights rooftop bar last night and there were loose floor tiles, bubbling paint and peeling surfaces in many spots. Even the exterior of the hotel has surfaces that are poorly painted, have mismatched colors or are just plain bubbling.

All in, it's an OK place to stay. It's not quite on par with other LMs globally - or even LM Arlington, where I had a great stay about two weeks ago - service is patchy and the rooms/building could use a little investment to bring them up to the same level as the lobby, which is lovely... but for a no-commitment mattress run, this was alright.

khabah
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 1/26 - 1/27

Location: The hotel is located in downtown Charlotte on McDowell Street. It's a little far from the trendier Uptown neighborhood but all the downtown attractions are either a short enough walk or a cheap Uber ride away. There's also a shopping center with a Target, Best Buy and a liquor store a block away. CLT is about 15 minutes away.

Hotel: The hotel is an older style Sheraton but it's actually really nice inside. The lobby has a coffee shop as well as a bar with a number of beers on tap and pool tables. There's a small outdoor pool as well and a Sheraton Club Lounge on the 14th Floor.

Check In: In a truly stupid move I booked my hotel for a day after I needed it for. A really helpful front desk agent was nice enough to set me up for the correct day. He was friendly and helpful and upgraded me to the Club floor, thanked me for my status and offered me points or a $10 F&B voucher.

Room: I like this hotel overall but the room was really bad. It was small and oppressively hot and took literal hours to cool down. The bathroom was tiny and prone to flooding easily. The bed was at least comfortable and there were outlets next to it but if this is the kind of room they put a Platinum Premier into I'm hesitant to come back.

Lounge: The lounge was open on weekends. They had a pretty good dinner spread including satay, eggrolls and cheese, fruit and desserts. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, breads, fruit and pastries. Service was not the best, I had to find the agent on duty in the back to ask for plates and they only had bottles juices.

I paid $120 for this hotel and it's not bad but there are way better options in Charlotte.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.