Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Favorite Starwood properties in Vancouver BC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Starwood properties in Vancouver BC?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Would appreciate a quick response from those who know the Vancouver city area well

Folks, of these three hotels, which is best for access to the Skytrain system? I am guessing that the Bayshore is out, but any advice for either the Sheraton Wall Centre or the Westin Grand? We are going to several places that are accessible on the Skytrain system (including coming to and from the airport) and we don't want to rent a car during our time there. This will be in a week, so it could be cold, so would like to minimize walking outside. Many thanks!!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by catgirl
Folks, of these three hotels, which is best for access to the Skytrain system? I am guessing that the Bayshore is out, but any advice for either the Sheraton Wall Centre or the Westin Grand? We are going to several places that are accessible on the Skytrain system (including coming to and from the airport) and we don't want to rent a car during our time there. This will be in a week, so it could be cold, so would like to minimize walking outside. Many thanks!!
They're all a short walk to a station. I doubt cold will be an issue. More likely rain, so prepare for that. I go to Vancouver for the walking; so to each their own own applies in this situation.

Cheers,
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
I have stayed at Sheraton Wall Centre before and loved the service and the room we had! Like the person above said short walk to the metro, but we choose to walk and brought umbrellas and were fine! Some great restaurants either direction to the water!

Westin Grand I have only been to the lobby but it looked really nice! Close to BC place and Rogers place if you needed to go there.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
All 3 have their strengths

Bayshore is great for being close to Stanley Park and walking the seawall. I'd say its the least noisy (except for the seaplanes if you have a bay view room). Some spectacular views.

Westin Grand is the most modern and the mini kitchen is nice for a longer stay. Easy walk to SkyTrain and good choice for shopping Robson or going to a game. Views are going to be mostly city views.

Sheraton Wall Centre is consistently good. Nice lounge. Not that far from SkyTrain and nice walk to Robson, Yaletown, Davie Village, Granville Island water bus, etc. Some great views from higher floors.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for the advice, I've booked us into the Sheraton Wall Centre. I've also requested an upgrade to a suite, so I'll report back.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Bayshore is great for being close to Stanley Park and walking the seawall. I'd say its the least noisy (except for the seaplanes if you have a bay view room). Some spectacular views.
+1

The views particularly from the tower when facing Stanley Park are very good.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:29 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by catgirl
There is a bit of a slope from the Sheraton Wall Center to the Burrard Sky Train station. The Westin Grand is a little more flat, but slightly further away from Stadium Skytrain Station.

Neither is on the direct Canada Line from the airport so you will have to change lines (and stations since some don't directly interconnect).

It may be worth the $25 cab ride on arrival from the airport direct to the hotel (then train from there on for the rest of your stay)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
The Westin Grand is a little more flat, but slightly further away from Stadium Skytrain Station.

Neither is on the direct Canada Line from the airport so you will have to change lines (and stations since some don't directly interconnect).
The Westin Grand is a pretty short walk from Vancouver City Centre station on the Canada Line.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by somedude3210
The Westin Grand is a pretty short walk from Vancouver City Centre station on the Canada Line.
Even the Wall centre is not very far- cut over to Robson street, turn left on Burrard, two blocks and you are there. If not raining too hard I walk.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
I try to book with points at the bay spg. But all they have left are suites which for 5 days is 12n9k pts.

They habe wall centra not much on upgrades and Westin some decent pts for upgrades at 71k

all still no lounge access I'm only normal status

oh and parking omg. Is soooo $$$$$. I'm driving up from Seattle. Unless I don't need a car around town?

Fly into SEA drive up to Vancouver for 5 days then back to Seattle for a few days and drive down to Portland for a few days and back to SEA to fly home. Parking in hotel at Seattle is also $$$
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Next June (2018) my wife and I will be taking an Alaska cruise sailing out of Vancouver on a Sunday. I have us flying to Seattle Friday evening, staying there and taking the morning train from Seattle to Vancouver. Once there, we'll have the rest of Saturday and Sunday morning before we board our cruise.

So we are looking for a good base location for a day of sight-seeing (walking if possible) and which might have the best breakfast on Sunday before we head to the cruise ship?

Note that everything is currently showing as available except the Sheraton Wall Center - which only has a Deluxe Corner (17,750 pts) or Jr. Suite (18,750 pts) and the Westin Bayshore which only has a Deluxe Harbor view (13,350 pts) or Jr. Suite (24K pts.) Everything else is showing with base award availability or even with C+P awards.

I made an initial reservation for the Westin Grand using C+P (6K pts + $110). But thought I'd ask those who may have better experience with the city.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
We stayed at sheraton last summer and enjoyed the location - easy to get to waterfront and main shopping areas by walking. We also walked all the way to the main park but that is not a short walk but a medium length one. We saw but didn't stay at Westin. We liked the sheratons location more but the Westin seemed to be in a nice area as well w lots to within walking distance.

At Sheraton We were upgrade to a nice suite. We extended our stay and they kindly moved us to another suite because the one we were in was already booked. They apologized for moving us but the second one was actually bigger than first.

Club lounge was nice by N american standards but staff couldn't keep up w cleaning tables. Often tables would pile up w plates and plates.

Id stay here again and recommend to people wanting to walk around Vancouver. It is not a super luxurious, gorgeous property but more than adequate and nice. Y Sheraton n American standards.
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The three downtown SPG properties are all good for walking. Some are closer to certain attractions than others. I'm a fan of the Bayshore, which isn't the newest, but has "wow" views that really let you know you're in Vancouver.

You won't want to stay at any of the airport properties or the Element, unless budget is an issue.
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by craigthemif
The three downtown SPG properties are all good for walking. Some are closer to certain attractions than others. I'm a fan of the Bayshore, which isn't the newest, but has "wow" views that really let you know you're in Vancouver.

You won't want to stay at any of the airport properties or the Element, unless budget is an issue.
I would echo this. We've stayed at both Westins. Our room at the Grand was considerably nicer, but the views from the Bayshore were much better. We're pretty avid walkers and were able to see whatever we wanted from either, though being right on the water means Bayshore has some nice walks right out the door.

I'll throw in a restaurant recommendation. On our most recent stay this past February, we had lunch at Sura Korean, which is just a few blocks from the Bayshore. We had to wait a bit to be seated, but it was very memorable. Several set menu options, great food and service...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:14 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hhoope01

So we are looking for a good base location for a day of sight-seeing (walking if possible) and which might have the best breakfast on Sunday before we head to the cruise ship?
If you want sea and mountain views on a walk, you will not do better than the Westin Bayshore. The hotel is right on the walking promenade for the 28km Stanley Park Sea Wall.

There is a map and description at this link

The other properties are also ideal for walking, but they are mostly city views and shopping - experiences that could be replicated in many other cosmopolitan cities.

I have not been impressed with the breakfast offerings at the Westin Grand or the Sheraton and have usually gone off property when staying there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.