Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What is the best Category 1 Starwood property?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum

I just got giddy at the fact that I have enough SPG points to stay 120 free nights at a Category 1 hotel.

Some of these Asia properties don't look half bad!

Click here for the full list.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Yogyakarta, IMHO.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: KE MC, UA Gold, Starwood Plat / Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
It used to be Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu before they bumped it to Cat 2. I like Le Meridien Pyramids but not sure I would want to stay there for 120 nights.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
Yogyakarta, IMHO.
Agreed
Old May 31, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The two in Cairo are the only ones that at which I have stayed, and think that they represent a pretty good option (though I guess the rates must be low now). They are a bit dated, but are certainly full-service (such as the concept of "service" exists in Cairo) are comfortable enough. You could do a nice 120-day tour around Egypt; the other ones on the list seem viable too.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Yogyakarta, IMHO.
That place looks very good for a cat 1. Indonesia is a great value in general. I would consider visiting again for sure and the values you have in hotels is really attractive.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
It's in Egypt, but definitely NOT Cairo! Sheraton Luxor.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:35 am

Actually an interesting question. I dont recall any memorable stays at a category one but I do hear a lot about asian properties.

Maybe contact the Platinum Desk to see what they can come up with? And post it here!

Congrats on the 360k points! I would probably use them on some properties in the middle but that's a different post... for a different time..
Old May 31, 2013, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Yogyakarta, IMHO.
+1 ^

The Sheraton Mustika in Yogyakarta is, IMHO, the best bargain in the entire Starwood system.

I also really liked the Sheratons in Lombok and Xian, but they are no longer Cat 1 properties, while Yogyakarta remains one. Lombok is still a bargain at Cat.2, and one can make a great trip to BOTH Yogya and Lombok on very few SPG points.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Is there a list with all the cat 1 hotels to find?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
If you go to the award redemption page on SPG.com, you can click on each category at the top of the chart and see the list of hotels in that category. Here is the Cat 1 list.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:58 am
Suspended

Interestingly, if you click on the Sheraton Mustika in Yogyakarta's website and look through the photos, there is a great shot of one of the rooms, where, looking out of the window, is the smoke-billowing volcano Mt. Merapi. I would go so far as to state that Mt. Merapi is the very reason this property is a Cat. 1 as Merapi had a very serious eruption a couple of years ago (actually, it blew 4 days after I left Yogya for Bali and Lombok, in October and November of 2010) which killed hundreds of people and many thousands of farm animals, and covered Yogya with volcanic ash for several weeks. And I remember how striking the view of Merapi billowing smoke and ash was from the hotel - especially in light of the fact that the authorities were warning people living within 10 KM of the mountain to evacuate at the time (I believe that the Sheraton is located about 25 km from the mountain).

Last edited by flyboy60; Jun 1, 2013 at 6:09 am
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:50 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Is there a list with all the cat 1 hotels to find?
Originally Posted by KathinJax
If you go to the award redemption page on SPG.com, you can click on each category at the top of the chart and see the list of hotels in that category. Here is the Cat 1 list.
Or just click the link in the first post!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts
Congrats on the 360k points!
Category 1 hotels are only 2,000 points/night, and coupled with the 5th Night Free deal, I have a lot less than 360k points.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by ChiCityJetsetter
Category 1 hotels are only 2,000 points/night, and coupled with the 5th Night Free deal, I have a lot less than 360k points.
2,000 is only for weekends.

Every 35 nights, you will need 3K*35-(3K*5+2K*2) (7 fifth night free, 5 weekdays, 2 weekends)-1K*8 (8 weekend discounts, not counting those two in fifth night free)=78K, slightly over 2K points/night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.