Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Lack of SPG-brand hotels outside of Taipei in Taiwan

Old May 20, 2013, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Was planning a "round-the-island" trip and was very surprised that outside of Taipei SPG brand is virtually non-existent (Xinzhu is the only one outside of Taipei.) Even Tainan has a Shangri-La, and Kaoshiung has various good 5-star hotels except SPG brands.

Anybody knows the reasons for this, and will there ever be SPG-brand in other cities of Taiwan?
Old May 20, 2013, 2:16 am

Look at Hilton and Marriott.. They don't even have any hotel in Taiwan ATM.

Hyatt have only one, and it doesn't seem to change in the near future. SPG so far have 4 in Taipei, 1 in Hsinchu. Consider yourself lucky to be in SPG family.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Why bother with SPG when in Taiwan you can stay in the Grand Hi-Lai Hello Kitty suite?

http://www.grand-hilai.com.tw/english/room_04.htm
Old May 20, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Four Points by Sheraton

In the Xinbei area, there is the Four Points located at Zhonghe.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by creampuff
Why bother with SPG when in Taiwan you can stay in the Grand Hi-Lai Hello Kitty suite?

http://www.grand-hilai.com.tw/english/room_04.htm
Cool, it's in Kaohsiung City.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
In the Xinbei area, there is the Four Points located at Zhonghe.
I consider this "Taipei" as in the great Taipei metropolitan area. And the location stinks.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Anybody knows the reasons for this, and will there ever be SPG-brand in other cities of Taiwan?
I was suprised too. Guess the taiwanese owners aren't interested in using Starwood to manage their hotels.

Does Starwood actually own hotels anymore?
Old May 20, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I was suprised too. Guess the taiwanese owners aren't interested in using Starwood to manage their hotels.

Does Starwood actually own hotels anymore?
Outside the US, Starwood doesn't exactly have a great presence outside capitals. In Europe, Starwood's presence is especially weak. Look at France - outside Paris - only 1 property (in the very busy cote de provence area).
Old May 20, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
they are opening a four points on the penghu islands next year... but to be honest, who cares... simply look elsewhere for your hotel needs... whatever points you would earn from an spg property will be offset by the additional cost a "western" hotel would charge in places like Kaohsiung and Tainan.

It is not that uncommon either... outside of one Westin in Busan, SPG has zero imprint in South Korea outside of Seoul. SPG should be more worried about getting some properties open along the California coast before they need to start considering expanding into non-Taipei markets... 70% of Taiwan's residents live within taipei county- their emphasis on that market is correct.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:34 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by remymartin
Outside the US, Starwood doesn't exactly have a great presence outside capitals.
Really? Have a look at India and China and see what lists you end up with. Well over a 100 hotels outside capital cities in just those two countries!

India about 30 open, 20 odd pipeline
China about 100 odd open, 80 odd pipeline
Old May 20, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Really? Have a look at India and China and see what lists you end up with. Well over a 100 hotels outside capital cities in just those two countries!

China also has over 100 cities with more than a million people... Taiwan can not boast anywhere near the same.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes, China is really becoming SPG heaven for me. Not only am I guaranteed to have some level of service versus local 5-star hotels (which even for non-smoking rooms I can be guaranteed of smoke smell, and level of service is really 2-stars in most cases), since I am GO I get many privileges and this helps my ambition to make Platinum.

Seems like even smaller cities have SPG presence. Even a little island city named Yuhuan has Four Points! LOL
Old May 20, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus

You basically made examples of the only two countries where this is true And being from London as your handle suggests, you should know this is especially true in Europe, where many countries are not even covered at all.
Old May 21, 2013, 4:57 pm

One thing to note, you just can't compare the hospitality between Taiwan and China. Generally speaking, it's like comparing heaven and hell sometimes...
Old May 21, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
One thing to note, you just can't compare the hospitality between Taiwan and China. Generally speaking, it's like comparing heaven and hell sometimes...
no truer words have been spoken on this forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.