Wiki Posts
Search

Free night award and room taxes

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Question Free night award and room taxes

Dear all,

Just booked a free night on points (just points not C&P) at Westin Grand in Vancouver BC, and the confirmation page had something I don't think I have seen before:

Room rate: 10,000 Starpoints
10,000 Starpoints

Room rate excludes the following:
Dest. Mktg. Fee: CAD 0.91 CAD 0.91
1.50 % Per Room / Per Night
Gst: CAD 6.05 CAD 6.05
5.00 % Per Person / Per Night
Hotel Room Tax: CAD 12.10 CAD 12.10
10.00 % Per Person / Per Night
Estimated total: 10,000 Starpoints 10,000 Starpoints
+ CAD 19.06 + CAD 19.06
in excluded charges in excluded charges
i.e. There is $20 of room taxes on top the points.

Is this normal? I thought SPG free nights are paid for including taxes?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:33 pm

No taxes on my award redemption last month in Boston. So, i think that's not normal.
Old May 4, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Point Award stays do not attract any taxes. Full stop.
Straight from the horse's mouth:
"Free Night Awards are each valid for one free night, single and/or double standard room occupancy at participating properties, and include the cost of your hotel room and room tax/service charge."
See: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ee_nights.html

I would suggest to contact the hotel immediately to have this resolved asap. I would also suggest contacting the Corp. to let them know that this hotel's systems are failing and as a result they give the perception of not adhering to SPG Program's published rules re: free night award redemptions.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by 3dot14
Dear all,

Just booked a free night on points (just points not C&P) at Westin Grand in Vancouver BC, and the confirmation page had something I don't think I have seen before:

i.e. There is $20 of room taxes on top the points.

Is this normal? I thought SPG free nights are paid for including taxes?
Tax on award nights>?
Old May 4, 2013, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I asked Platinum Online check about this, and was told any taxes that's a percentage of rate would be covered with points, but any fixed charge would not be included.

This is consistent with the info provided in the thread above. Thanks Kennected.

However, as you can see from the original post, all the additional charges are quoted as "% of". But the chat agent was unable to give an explanation why they are extra.

so I decided to vote with my wallet and take my redemption to Sheraton Wall Centre a couple blocks out.

Sheraton doesn't charge the 5% or 10% taxes seen above. But still charges Destination Marketing Fee of 1.5%. (http://www.vanhda.ca/DMF_FAQ.pdf) Which is a non-governmental fee unique to vancouver hotels.

In principle I still find that irritating. But I am less inclined to make a fuss for <$1.

So seems two conclusions can be drawn:
1/ Westin is making some sort of tax grab.
2/ The DMF seems unavoidable in the city of Vancouver. meh

Last edited by 3dot14; May 4, 2013 at 11:00 am
Old May 4, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
So seems two conclusions can be drawn:
Or it's just a system error, I just booked a free night at the Le Parker Meridien in Palm Springs and the agent told me there is a charge of 55 USD, where the charge should be only 30 USD (Resort Fee) plus tax which will make it go to 34 or 35 USD. So it was just a system error.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked Platinum Online check about this, and was told any taxes that's a percentage of rate would be covered with points, but any fixed charge would not be included.

This is consistent with the info provided in the thread above. Thanks Kennected.....
Yes, that's correct. The only places where I have experienced per person or per night taxes are in France.

....So seems two conclusions can be drawn:
I choose 3) system coding error and there will be no tax charged.@:-)
Old May 4, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I also would give you pretty good odds on a bet that you wouldn't have been charged any taxes. This has shown up of many of my award reservations, I just ignore them nowadays.
Old May 5, 2013, 6:42 pm

My free room at Four Points by Sheraton LAX have a tax of 52 cents. It's no big deal but it's a troubling trend to worry about, especially for California.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
Yes, that's correct. The only places where I have experienced per person or per night taxes are in France.
:-)
I've seen this in a number of places outside of France.
Old May 6, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Happens in California too. Especially around the SF Bay area with city/county tourist fees. Usually only a dollar or two but billed separately on point stays.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:04 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
This also happens in Morocco. Just got charged 33 MAD per night city tax. I checked with the platinum concierge and they confirmed that city taxes are not covered by the points as they are a fixed rate and not charged as a percentage of the cost of the room.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:26 am
Original Poster

I choose 3) system coding error and there will be no tax charged.@:-)
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but want to set the record straight: TerryK, you are right, there was no tax/fee at check out in the end. So that was just a display error on the reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.