Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been challenged directly by another guest for using Plat Checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Good morning from the Sheraton Puerto Rico Convention Center. In all of my nights in hotels I have had other guests ask the front desk agents why people in the Plat line get to go ahead of them but this morning is the first time I was challenged directly by another guest:

This morning the hotel only had two front desk agents. A cruise ship must have disembarked this morning as the line of sunburned tourists in the regular line was to the front door. There was no one in the Plat line so I lined up there and (huge props to the hotel) was helped immediately. ^

While being processed, a blue haired lady in (way too) bright clothing left the regular line, came up to me and said, "Young man (I'm 30), you are being very rude. You cut in front of all of us that have been waiting, and you should be ashamed of yourself."

Perhaps I was too snarky since I didn't have coffee (until now that I'm ensconced in a very nice lounge) but my reply:

"My apologies that you aren't Platinum and have to wait in line while I get helped quickly. Also, perhaps you need new glasses since you missed the sign that indicated that Platinum members have a separate line from those that only leave their knitting to go on vacation once a year."

Se hurrumphed and said very loudly that she will never stay here again. I'm sure the hotel will feel very bad about this.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I have to say I am in two minds about this...

Yes we're 'entitled' to jump the line... but is it really right? It can feel like you're pushing in when people have been waiting a lot longer than you have.

It creates a two-tier system.

I've rarely had to use it... and once at a Hilton property I went to the HH check-in yet the front desk agent called the next person in line to the front despite him not having status... so i suppose it works both way.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Yes we're 'entitled' to jump the line... but is it really right? It can feel like you're pushing in when people have been waiting a lot longer than you have.
Yes, it is. It's a perfectly reasonable benefit offered in exchange for spending a lot of time and money in their hotels. A significant benefit of elite status, whether with hotels, airlines, rental cars, etc. is minimized waiting in lines, on the phone, etc.

Or else you could just get an Amex Plat, as generally Gold gets you access as well.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
IMHO, your response was a bit on the harsh side.

I had a different "blue hair" experience at the A concourse Admirals Club the other day. I was waiting on the elevator to exit the club. I was standing several feet back from the elevator doors. My parents taught me to always allow everyone to exit an elevator prior to entering.

An elderly lady and gentleman stepped off, walked up to me and stood there facing me. I didn't move as I wasn't interested in beginning a two step side to side dance. The couple continued to stand there. After a few uncomfortable moments I said, "May I help you?" The lady replied, "You are in our way." I stated that I had given them plenty of room to exit the elevator and that I had been raised to do just that. She replied, "You are blocking the access entry point to the service desk." I took a look behind me to see that there were several feet behind me before the stanchions and rope began and the waiting area was empty. I replied, I am terribly sorry, I wasn't aware of which way you were headed as you exited the elevator and there is certainly plenty of room for you to have walked around me." She replied, turning to her husband, "Mr. X, take care of this situation." Before I allowed any further conversation. I said, "In addition to your failing eyesight, I guess your telepathic powers of communication must be failing as well. I would have been more than happy to have stepped aside if you had asked." I stepped around them and onto the elevator. Several other business people standing off to the side watching the exchange began to clap and smile.

It takes all kinds. I typically hold my tongue until pushed or threatened.

TW
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Good morning from the Sheraton Puerto Rico Convention Center. In all of my nights in hotels I have had other guests ask the front desk agents why people in the Plat line get to go ahead of them but this morning is the first time I was challenged directly by another guest:
I think if hotels that offered this benefit to their guests actually created a separate line with ropes, etc., and a sign posted on the entry stanchion that said, Platinum and Gold Members it would create a more manageable situation and guests with no status would clearly understand why others went to the head of the line.

TW
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:04 am
cxn

Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind
I think if hotels that offered this benefit to their guests actually created a separate line with ropes, etc., and a sign posted on the entry stanchion that said, Platinum and Gold Members it would create a more manageable situation and guests with no status would clearly understand why others went to the head of the line.
This would be much better. Most of the time I use the regular line. However, just recently at the Westin Maui the line was moving super slow, so I took the Plat line and ignored all the stares.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
We had a similar experience when boarding AA flight. The flight started early boarding. When we got to the gate from Admiral club at the T-20 minute before depature time, the boarding was well under way and a long line to board at General Boarding line. The Priority Line was empty, so we went to that line and was called by the gate agent immediately. A man in the front of General boarding line yell out: "There's a line here!" in a rather rude manner. To which I responded: "First Class." We went on to the flight bridge, and the man followed us to the bridge, still upset and murmuring something about this. We simply ignored him and went to our seats.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
still upset and murmuring something about this. We simply ignored him and went to our seats.
^ I think that's the only way to go about it, replying to some people will only downgrade you to their level.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A bit harsh, but my response would be to say something like "staying 100 nights a year in these hotels allows me to use this line".

Only time I was challenged at the Sheraton in Seattle 2 years ago. Big comic/video game convention or something in the city, it was swamped. 20 people in the normal line, none in the Plat/Gold line. Someone voiced their displeasure when I went over to stand in it - I simply pointed at the silver Plat/Gold sign on the desk.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I think it would be ideal if hotels had a bit of a separate area for this - like hotels that have lounges where check-in is possible for Plat. guests. I was at the Holiday Inn in Sao Paulo this week where they had a private check-in for Gold/Platinum members in the business centre ^ instead of the crazy long line.

I never stay at IHG but they matched my SPG Plat in a 5 minute phone call. Partially just because I wanted late check out
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've gotten a glare, but not a "challenge."

I always go to the Gold/Platinum line because there is often a key package already prepared and waiting in that area. This is in addition to the obvious need to let the other people know how important I really am. Furthermore, sometimes a "smelly line" agent will call you over even if the "smelly line" is long, and a really important person is waiting in the really important line.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind

TW
Fortunately, the Sheraton Convention Center San Juan does have a well-signed roped off platinum line. Also, I agree my response was a touch harsh but I was annoyed by being told I should be ashamed of myself and hrr speaking to me as if I was a little kid who messed up.

To the poster above who doesn't seem to like the lines, I think they are wonderful and I've earned my place in them. More importantly, in this particular case, I had reserved the room for the night before so I could check-in at 9am and had my ID and credit card ready. I was not about to wait in a line 20-30 deep (only 2 agents) and listen to people who just got off a cruise, fumble for their docs, ask questions, and expect the hotel to have rooms ready this early.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I was not about to wait in a line 20-30 deep (only 2 agents) and listen to people who just got off a cruise, fumble for their docs, ask questions, and expect the hotel to have rooms ready this early.
The only problem with the line is when the regular line is faster than the plat/gold line. Happened just last week at the Westin LAX, the regular line was way too fast and I was all alone in the plat/gold line, the agents kept calling on guests from the regular line and when the line finished, I was called over .
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Just wink.

Just as infuriatingly passive aggressive and the other guests don't have to hear it.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
I had the opposite experience once in Arlington, Va. There were two separate lines. (Plat/Gold line and regular line). There was a long line in the no status line and no line for Plat/Gold. So I walked up to the Plat line to check in. The guests in the regular line were not upset, but the front desk clerk told me to "stop cutting in line as it is quite rude to all the people waiting." When I said to her that I was Platinum and thought this line was the Plat line. She said "we don't have a Plat line and you need to wait in the back like everyone else." I was about to point out to her that there is a sign right next to her to the contrary, but didn't feel it was worth it since I wasn't in a rush. Fortunately, the front desk manager overheard the conversation and was overly apologetic about the whole situation. He sort of chastied the front desk clerk and offered me 2,000 points immediately for the inconvenience. I said it was unnecessary, but appreciate his response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.