Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York Trip Advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
New York Trip Advice

I am going to New York for three days in October.

I got an SPG Amex card, with 25K points bonus after spending $5K. My plan is to spend $11K to get 36K points (25K bonus plus 11K for the $11K spend) and redeem for three nights at the Sheraton midtown (somewhere around 51st and 7th).

Just wondered if any one had any advice. Is availability limited? Are there any other tricks or angles to get the most freebies for the least money in my stay? Will whatever status comes with the SPG card get me anything?

The trip will be Thursday through Sunday, some weekend between early October and early November.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
That area has quite a few hotels, so you should be OK. Do you have any status at SPG? The card doesn't really provide any benefits at hotels.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Air, SPG, Marriott
Check out the Westin Grand Central. Newer property to Starwood. Or check out the Elements or Four Points Time Square (Mid Town). Small but a good value.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Keep in mind that and that the NYC marathon is November 3rd. I would try to avoid that week. In any event, the time of year you are planning to go is one of the most popular for tourists (personally October is my favorite month in the city) so I would not expect many deals to be had.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Get the business version of the card and get 25k more.

You can get a room upgrade award (see here http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer.../upgrades.html) that you can use. Perhaps will get you lounge access (I think there is a lounge there, make sure it's open on weekends).

Without status, you will be back of the upgrade line during that busy season.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by derekhille
Check out the Westin Grand Central. Newer property to Starwood. Or check out the Elements or Four Points Time Square (Mid Town). Small but a good value.
The Westin GC is a good option. I pulled up 10/17-10/20 and rate is $467/night so at almost .04/pt, very nice redemption.

You can also look at a C&P option at Westin Times Square which would be 10K and $180/night
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation

The Westin GC (formely the Helmsley) is likely your best option, at 12,000 spg points/night. My personal preference is the Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers. They have a lounge, but its 16,000 spg points. Both properties have been recently renovated.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Hi all,

I also plan to visit NYC sometime in May next year (I know it's far out). It'll be my first time there! I'm looking to redeem at a Category 5 hotel, preferably close to the happening places? My options are Element Times Square, Westin GC (which everyone says is great!) and the Sheraton New York Times Square. Would I be best going with the Westin GC?

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:44 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
This doesn't suit your criteria, but we struggled finding a NYC Starwood over New Year. They all get average reviews, have small rooms, or are very high priced. We finally decided it was worth the short ride on PATH and booked W Hoboken on points. I am usually very big on central locations, but this seemed like a worthwhile compromise.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by phlashba
Keep in mind that and that the NYC marathon is November 3rd. I would try to avoid that week. In any event, the time of year you are planning to go is one of the most popular for tourists (personally October is my favorite month in the city) so I would not expect many deals to be had.
And hotel rates, because of that, go through the roof!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My trip date is based on a conference (Baron) which I will not have control over. In past years the date has varied. I don't remember it overlapping the Marathon, although I know it's overlapped the World Series.

Westin GC is an option, but we'd probably prefer to be closer to Times Square.

I plugged in some dates (Oct. 17-20) and there were no points and cash options.

The info posted so far has been helpful. Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by redtop43
My trip date is based on a conference (Baron) which I will not have control over. In past years the date has varied. I don't remember it overlapping the Marathon, although I know it's overlapped the World Series.

I don't think you should hold out for cash and points at any Manhattan properties during that time of the year.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redtop43

Check again. See my post from above.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
This doesn't suit your criteria, but we struggled finding a NYC Starwood over New Year. They all get average reviews, have small rooms, or are very high priced. We finally decided it was worth the short ride on PATH and booked W Hoboken on points. I am usually very big on central locations, but this seemed like a worthwhile compromise.
I personally don't have any problem with most NYC hotels---and you spend so little time in them that ease of getting to and from is more paramount...and for that reason I personally couldn't stay outside Manhattan. JMHO
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKopf

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at W Hoboken. The PATH or the Hudson ferry was easy access to Manhattan. The hotel is right on the boardwalk for outstanding views of the cityscape. And just 2 blocks west to Washington Street for restaurants and bars.

cleo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.