Wiki Posts
Search

Surprise for staying at all 9 spg brands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Can there be a better way of alienating your regular customers than to sneak in some "award" for something one has no clue is happening? And of course, for those who live in parts of the world where all brands are not present only skews this further. Stealth may be fine in war but it sucks in the marketing world! If you're having a promotion, let us know about it!
How is this any different from the retrospective SPG Plat level changes in early 2012?

It seems of the big chains only SPG has lottery style benefits
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:58 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
How is this any different from the retrospective SPG Plat level changes in early 2012?

It seems of the big chains only SPG has lottery style benefits
+1, I actually like the "lottery-style" benefits. Now if they could only make their W Acura experience more like TV's "Cash Cab"...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'll only ever get 8, as my employer does not let us stay at St. Regis' (or Ritz Carlton, etc...) because of "optics," and most St. Regis are out of my price range for leisure stays, but the reward is still cool.

Gotta say, I actually like these "surprise" moments from Starwood. It makes me wonder if I'll ever be a recipient of something (in a good way) and it's really cool to think that months after a stay you might get a gift for something you didn't even know you were doing.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
Surprise for staying at all 9 spg brands

I had some SPG stays planned for this year... After seeing this thread, I included elements, aloft and four points.... Hopefully it pays off otherwise they are useful for stay credit anyway...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Can there be a better way of alienating your regular customers than to sneak in some "award" for something one has no clue is happening? And of course, for those who live in parts of the world where all brands are not present only skews this further. Stealth may be fine in war but it sucks in the marketing world! If you're having a promotion, let us know about it!
i disagree....i like these little surprises from spg every now & then....
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by StevieCRock
Could anyone confirm if this is still valid for 2013?
Uh no.......sorry please wake up from your dream.

BTW I really like the random awards. After all those are the most special when you don't think you will get something, it is just your normal patter or behavior and you are thus rewarded. Don't see anything wrong with it at all.^
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM

I disagree as well. I think rewarding those who hit all 9 brands without expecting anything was a great idea.

Had it been published the number of people hitting this milestone would have increased exponentially and the reward would never have been as rich.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:26 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Vinodavid
I disagree as well. I think rewarding those who hit all 9 brands without expecting anything was a great idea.

Had it been published the number of people hitting this milestone would have increased exponentially and the reward would never have been as rich.
On the other hand, it seems illogical. There is no 'milestone' achieved by staying at 9 different brands of the same business. Except as a marketing win for the business. As a leisure traveller, with rewards like this kept a secret, one would always be disadvantaged, as where the few Elements are are either not tourist areas, or there are many better hotels from the other brands. I would stay at Elements New York if I gained a benefit, otherwise it would be a higher cost rand.
Would all those who like surprises also prefer if there were no T&C to the SPG program? Then very stay would be a surprise. . Little surprises are only worthwhile if every elite member receives one sometimes. Otherwise, someone will be envious and upset.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rooivalk
There are only 10 Elements now and all of them are located in the US. I live in Asia so the only brands which are not a 24 hour flight away are the other 8...

I'm willing to compromise on one free night I'm also guessing most people would be missing the Element brand.
^
Great idea from SPG.

BUT, the element of "Element" stinks in this equation - big time. Since these are non-existent either in Europe or Asia many people (including me) are not able to make that. Otherwise I hit the other 8/9 pretty hard every year. Needless to say, I would love to get chocolates and free nights...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:34 pm

Pretty cool thing. I like the idea of random gifts (linked to loyal behavior), though I do hear the concerns of SPG loyals who really didn't have a fighting chance.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Congratulations to the OP - nice promo.

I agree with others that the continual "secret" promos that SPG continues to have (I had 100 nights last year with SPG but due to their lack of anything special shown I have <10 with them this year and 100+ with Hyatt). Not sure that this type of promo makes folks who are loyal and go out of their way to stay with Starwood encourages behavior in the future that generates revenue; I would think it's probably the opposite in the long run.

Last edited by ldsant; Mar 31, 2013 at 7:34 pm
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FoodieOnTour
^
Great idea from SPG.

BUT, the element of "Element" stinks in this equation - big time. Since these are non-existent either in Europe or Asia many people (including me) are not able to make that. Otherwise I hit the other 8/9 pretty hard every year. Needless to say, I would love to get chocolates and free nights...
Some promotions are only good for U.S. travel.

Some are only good for non-U.S. travel.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by JackE
Some promotions are only good for U.S. travel.

Some are only good for non-U.S. travel.
That is true. I recall a promo last year where you got 2 free nights for staying 9 nights at an SPG property in Asia.

I am one that just missed out because I didn't stay at an Element. But, I am happy for the people got it and glad to see SPG is rewarding people for things.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
International SPG members get something for 8 of 9

Wow International SPG members check your SPG accounts. I just got 2 Free Nights in my account since last week and today I received the chocolates! BUT______ for only 8 of the 9. No Element, as there is none internationally I don't think. Great move by SPG. The 9th chcocolate just has an SPG box, not Element.

I'll take a picture and post shortly. This is a great compromise that SPG has done. I think it took an extra few days to mail the chocolates to me here in Saudi Arabia. Well done and thank you SPG. ^
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by schley
Wow International SPG members check your SPG accounts. I just got 2 Free Nights in my account since last week and today I received the chocolates! BUT______ for only 8 of the 9. No Element, as there is none internationally I don't think. Great move by SPG. The 9th chcocolate just has an SPG box, not Element.

I'll take a picture and post shortly. This is a great compromise that SPG has done. I think it took an extra few days to mail the chocolates to me here in Saudi Arabia. Well done and thank you SPG. ^
well done....i missed out on 2 brands last year so am not expecting anything but yet another great move by spg....^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.