Please help me decide hotel in Kuala Lumpur

Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Treating my mom to a nice hotel in a good location.

Choices are Le Meriden, Sheraton Imperial or Westin...which is the best?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
both the Sheraton & Westin are within the CBD............. the LeMeridien (sister tower is a Hilton) is located at the exit of the Airport Express so easy to get to but nothing in the imediate area (shopping/restaurants), however the ease in getting to/from airport makes it a plus and from the central station you're connected with the other 4 mass transit systems so easy to get to all points of the city

Originally Posted by metoo
Treating my mom to a nice hotel in a good location. Choices are Le Meriden, Sheraton Imperial or Westin...which is the best?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:31 am

I have stayed at the Westin and LeMeridian (and the Hilton) and find the Bukit Bintang location of the Westin to be the best. It anchors one end of a large shopping and restaurant area with plenty to do. Btw adjacent to the Westin are the Marriott and the Ritz Carlton.

The LeMeridian is at the Kl terminus of Airport Express. Thats about it. Nothing around. If your mom is willing to travel around the area by train, its a good location.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:15 am
Original Poster

for the Westin, is it better to pay 7k points or 4k points plus $45
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Done all three

We have done all three; and prefer Imperial and Westin. LM is not bad but out of the way. Westin is very close to shopping and malls, but hotel staff, service, and room is not as nice as Imperial.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
I recently stayed at Westin KL too. Location is smack dab in the middle of Bukit Bintang area.
Room is very large, and nice bathroom too with separate shower and tub.

As for points vs point+cash, i'd say point+cash. I value 3k spg points higher than $45.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
We stayed at Le Meridien KL last year. It's a beautiful property with well appointed rooms. Its club lounge is one of best club lounge we've seen in SPG properties with excellent view. Highly recommended. Will stay there again when in KL.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
The Westin easily beats them all for location Shopping in any direction you wish to go, no need to talk with dodgy taxi drivers who refuse to drive you from Pavillion (the shopping centre across the road from the Westin) to the Imperial because its too close and they want a fixed rate vs using the meter .... and then if the driver takes you, expect to be stuck in traffic! The Imperial is no doubt a very good hotel but that 2-3kms from Bukit Bintang is enough for me to stick to the Westin. I have stayed at all the SPG properties multiple times over the years due to mattress running. All properties offer excellent Platinum recognition, and the Imperial has the best breakfast spread out of the three however they are all very good.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:52 pm

Am a local, have stayed at Westin and Sheraton Imperial, and as per what others have mentioned, I consider Westin's location as the best. If your mom loves shopping, definitely Westin. She can head to Pavilion across the street for the expensive stuffs, or walk a little down the street to Sungei Wang for bargains. For dining I prefer LM's. Sheraton Imperial 2nd, and Westin 3rd, sadly.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Westin has the best location if you want to go shopping.
Sheraton gives the best redemption value as it is the only Cat 2 hotel.
LM has the most convenient access to airport as it is next to the main station.

Difficult choice now?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum
Agree with most of the sentiments above.

SI's location can be a pain due to few attractions within walking distance. Getting in and out of the hotel is also a tedious as the road setup requires a multitude of U turns if going to/from Bukit Bintang. If you're prepared to take the monorail, you've got easy access to almost everything, so I'd highly recommend that. Hotel is looking decidedly tired (rooms and Club especially) but the service is superb, especially from the front desk and concierge.

Westin's location is a plus as has been well documented above, and the new Club is one of my favourites in Asia after the refurbishment. Rooms are also a bit tired (threadbare carpets for example) but this will be resolved next year when the rooms are refurbished to make it the clear choice in KL.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: CO NW DL AA SPG Hyatt
My thoughts:

LM cold hotel way out of the way, location not good for sightseeing/shopping, etc.

Westin: best location, great hotel, more expensive than Sheraton Imperial.

Sheraton Imperial: My favorite in KL. Elegant, comfortable, great restaurants, not far from all the happenings, relatively cheap taxi ride to wherever you want to go (possibly lengthy ride in bad traffic times).
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG-LTP
My vote goes to Westin KL for location & service level.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:20 am

Definitely Sheraton Imperial for more Asian influenced decorated room and nice service, 3 stops away (Monorail) from shopping area Bukit Bintang & go for point+cash as a Cat 2; Westin also another good choice but be prepare for traffic during peak hours, directly opposite Pavilion shopping complex. IMO, with mom i choose Sheraton, with wife/gf i choose Westin...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
For a more unique experience overall, go with the Sheraton Imperial. It is easily one of the best Sheraton's in Asia and the location is still very convenient.

The Westin is close to shopping sure, but the SI has the monorail right there and it's easy to get around.

In terms of quality, the SI is better than the Westin. The LM comes in 3rd, but Kuala Lumpur is fortunate to have 3 great affordable options.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.